1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL What was your best and most memorable toy when growing up?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-44432, 5 Jun 2012.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    These were legal in back in the days in Rhodesia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We put up one every school holiday.

But the days I grew up sport came first.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

for me it was Lego Technic, every year for xmas my mother used to buy me the "Flagship" kit, the only one that ever defeated me was the Testcar (set 8865), I think one xmas I might treat myself and buy the parts needed to finally beat it.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep, built the combine harvester a few times. Both are amazing models. And I've bought several models on ebay over the years; I bought the big car true_gamer mentioned and sold it within the last year for a tidy profit lol :D (and vowed never to sell any more LEGO*)

Same for me - LEGO* every year for Christmas and birthday until I was 14/15. I still have the test car set... the old style black pins are HORRIFIC! :D

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just use your teeth damnit :D

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

LEGO, Matchbox cars and Action Man - with a couple of the US G.I. Joe copies sent over from relatives in Canada.

I even had the Action Man Scorpion tank, a jeep, multiple Red Devils parachutes and my dad made me a wooden patrol boat with a torch head mounted at the front like a searchlight. Man the battles I used to create...

I used to combine the LEGO and Matchbox cars to great effect.

I still have most of the cars, my 8 year old boy has them. Some date from the late sixties so I have drilled into him that he needs to look after them.

Action Man got replaced by Airfix, the cars by a bike and LEGO by 2000AD and Commando comics.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I have to admit, I did have a lot of fun with my Lego & Technic sets. I was very creative...I remember making a cable car out of Technic with the electric motor pulling the string line, from across the bedroom. That was made to send my Manta force men from one base to the next. Epic! :D

7. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of us in this thread (myself included) played with a lot of LEGO as children -- I think it's an excellent learning tool for kids and I'm really thankful my father bought me a lot of it.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

This was my favourite Technic kit (still got it too!!) and I also had the motor but this took the square motor and I had the round one. Made it work though; now I think about it it's probably the first thing I ever modded :clap:

I do have an issue though. ONE piece has vanished and it's absolutely essential to the model. It's a spherical grey piece with a cross hole for the technic axles and is grooved around the outside. I am buggered if can find one anywhere :waah:

[​IMG]

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This has got to be the most amazing LEGO fansite on the internet. I'm amazed it's still up... what this guy can build with old-style LEGO Technic is simply incredible.

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

OMFG yes! Manta Force! I think I just jizzed! This stuff was just epic! My brother had the Red venom one and we used to create carnage in the space between our bedrooms!

I was very keen on radio controlled models when I smaller but my Tamiya Bullhead was just freaking awesome. 2 x 540 motors, four wheel steering, wheelies on demand and it was just epic on sand dunes. I always used to stare at it on the top shelf in my local Beaties toy store. Horrendously expensive and I never thought I'd own one. Amazingly, when my dad's car got stolen (along with my far cheaper RC car) the company car insurance policy paid out handsomely so my dad, seeing how upset I was that my pride and joy had been stolen, took me down to Beaties and bought me a Bullhead on the spot. :jawdrop: Many happy memories, although cleaning out all the sand after a week in Cornwall wasn't fun at all.

[​IMG]

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

The Bullhead was awesome!! That now reminds of the the other 2 well known monsters - The Lunchbox and the Monster Beetle! Always wanted any of the 3 but never got one, can't even remember which one I have in the loft to be honest.

TG, I hope you realise that this innocent seeming thread is probably going to cost several people a fair whack of cash as they suddenly can't resist urges to play with this stuff again :lol:

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I'm already on ebay :hehe::hehe::hehe:

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yep, I was including myself in that generalism :) Been up in the loft for about an hour today lol Found the star wars stuff and LEGO (generic, technic is kept safe at all times)

14. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

just for you truegamer
    [​IMG]
    starcom rules

missus uses this crate for needles and crap

15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

What's Curbie ? when I first saw your picture "American History X" popped into my head and I had visions of kids running around doing that scene from the film.

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Curbie (or curby or kerby) is a ball game played by 2 people on opposite sides of the road. The object of the game is to try and throw a ball cleanly against the opposite kerb and have it come back to you. The player continues to throw until he/she misses the kerb, then the other player has their turn. The winner is whoever reaches the agreed target score first.

1 point is awarded if the ball comes back but touches the ground on the way.
    5 points are awarded if the ball bounces straight back into your hands (whilst standing on pavement).

Lots of variations of the rules exist, for example getting 3 bonus throws from the middle of the road if you catch the returning ball.

I hope that makes sense.

Poor quality video to help

Last edited: 8 Jun 2012
  17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Your right, I'm also on Ebay looking at some old toys he he...:D

Epic! :D

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Thanks Smiffydude, it actually sounds like something I used to do.

19. Ollie1807

Ollie1807 What's a Dremel?

It was mostly transformers and Power rangers for me, suprised no-one has mentioned them yet! late 80s/90s toys were awesome :p

[​IMG]

Anyone have one of these?

[​IMG]

20. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I have that. It's sat on my desk right now......

[​IMG]