1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Buying a suit - where's the smart money?

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 7 Jun 2012.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I got my first suite from Burtons. Cost about £100 for blazer and pants. Been great and looks smart.

You don't need to spend hundreds at all on your suite. Just make sure it fits well and could be worn for a variety of occasions - ie don't buy a colour that you know you'd only wear to a party and not a formal occasion.

All suites are hardly 'confortable' to wear for long periods, so I don't think spending thousands will get you anymore than bragging rights and maybe a slightly better fit.

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I wear a suit everyday for work, and while I'd love to invest in a tailored one, it's just not practical.

Suits worn every day get used - they get sandwich fillings dropped on them, they get worn and stretched around the knees from sitting at a desk, and they get grown out of.

(Mainly because you're sitting at a desk all day eating sandwiches).

For the price of one truely great suit, you can get 4+ OK suits from M&S - and they do a wide (ish) range of sizes and size options - long/short sleaves, legs, jacket drop etc.

3. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I got a slim-fit one in Next and it was fine. Previously I purchased one in Debenhams which was also fine.

Unless you plan on wearing suits regularly, I'd personally just pay <£100 off the high street. That's what I do/did (and I wear suits more than most people).

Each to their own though - if you can't find a 'cheap' suit which fits you (guess I may have been lucky?), shelling out for a fitted one would make sense.

As others have said, a well fitted suit is paramount.

4. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

As much as I love the idea of a tailored suit the expense is a hard one to justify so it's a recommendation for M&S here.

I'm quite a big guy 6'4" 220lbs but their slim-fit suits fit me perfectly and they're contemporary and don't cost the earth.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2012
  5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

That's one reason for paying more - helps motivate me to make sure I don't put on any weight if I've spent a tidy sum on a specific fit.

Exactly - I'd rather have a choice of a few nice suits in different colours than one outstanding suit.

6. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yeah that's exactly it. Long arms and narrow shoulders. Hence I had my "designer" suit tailored / altered to fit. Amazing my el cheapo Topman Skinny Fit fits like a glove with no alterations.

It's a bit luck of draw, if you can get a off the peg that fits correctly then go for it.

Also second what someone said about universal colours, use them for more that one occasion.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

A good tailor will be able to tell you when the fit is right. Bear in mind when you are being measured there will be pins and stuff holding everything in so it's hardly representative. I tend to lift my arms to shoulder level when the corrected suit is on, check it is not tight or baggy under the armpit, cross my arms to make sure that is not too restrictive on the back and elbows. Check there is about 2cm (no more) between the suit and your belly when the top button is done up so you can walk like that without it pulling. Do a couple of squats (not too active obviously) and check it is not too tight (that will simulate different chairs etc), and have a good walk around in it to ensure you aren't too tight on the bum or thighs. Finally, WEAR PROPER SHOES when getting tailored. Then once it is in, there should be one break in the creaseline of the trouser as it rests on the shoe, about 5 inches up from the hem.

That's about the best advice I can give.

Bespoke suits can go from anywhere from 500 to many many thousands. About 1000 would be my starting point to ensure a good cloth quality. But as I say, I go down the route of a decent premade suit with nice cloth and have it refined from there. It's the next best thing and should be doable for £500 for a cracking suit.

Aquascutum do some of the best good value cloths IMO.

A properly tailored suit is one of the most comfortable things you can wear.

Porkins' Wingman likes this.
  8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I go with this too, problem I've encountered is that no matter how much you spend on a suit, your average high street drycleaner will happily ruin it for you within a year. Just make sure you also buy some wundaweb because the stitching will go, I can almost guarantee it.

The most hardwearing business suits I've had have been Baumler, usually found in Moss Brothers, but they're generally a bit more expensive than the M&S suits.

Most clothing can be altered, just make sure whatever you buy accommodates your shape or slightly more to allow such alterations to take place. M&S happily also size their inside leg to odd numbers (29-31-33 for example) instead of the usual even numbers of many suppliers, so off the shelf there tends to fit me perfectly, just a shame my diet is all over the place so my waistline is constantly changing.

<addition> oh and for interviews + formal, charcoal grey is fine, don't go with light grey or "colours" if you can only have the one suit. you can influence your colours with your shirt/tie combinations instead.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

No it isn't lol. I could think of a dozen different types of outfits that are more comfy than any suite in the world. It's a suite - they're restrictive and sweaty whether they fit perfectly or not.

Believe me a tshirt and jogging bottoms is infinitesimally more comfy than wearing a suite, tailor made or not :).

10. Porkins' Wingman

Part of feeling comfortable in clothing is being able to relax about what becomes of it, I don't think I could relax in a suit costing £1,000 in the same way that I could wearing my 15 year old trackie bums and 10 year old hoodie.

11. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

As suggested, the cut and fit of a suit is of the primary importance when purchasing (especially if you're not willing to go custom, or get it altered).

Material, IME, not so much - you obviously know a cheap and crappy material on sight, and any remotely decent suit will be lined as such you never even come into contact with the outer material.

You've not really alluded to your budget, other than that you're wary of the diminishing returns re: value in the £500+ category, so I'll try and keep it at that price point precisely.

For your £500, you ought to be able to get a last season Gieves and Hawkes cashmere jobby. You will unfortunately need to inquire about this, as last seasons goods are a sort of back-room-affair. These are a mid - high end offering, with the current season cashmere suits beginning at around £2500 - so you're getting a good deal and a quality product even if it is technically last years.
    I have two of these now, each of which cost less than £700 including alterations. (Gasp! Social/fashion faux pas, I know right?)

For slightly less (and I mean back to the £500 altered), you can get a current season Nicole Farhi suit, which ooze class and are comparable to the less substanced current £1000+ offerings elsewhere.

Something that hasn't been mentioned so far... What's a good suit without shirt, tie and shoes to match? It all makes up the "I could buy this place if I wanted to" facade. Churches for shoes, TM Lewin for ridiculously cheap but acceptable shirts, and any 100% silk tie that isn't tacky!

(this message is from 10am, I forgot to press send!)

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You haven't been a student for a while, have you?

13. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Austin reed has some nice stuff and they are doing some good deals if you buu two

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

14. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I did laugh!

They are almost always, doing their 5 for £100 on their deal, and when that's not running they do the better 4 for £100 on the John Francomb shirts (which fit better on the slimmer man such as myself, and are slightly better quality) I have at least 4 unopened shirts that I bought purely because overall it was cheaper to pick out an extra one that I didn't like just because of the offers!

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Being a student myself, while I can't comment on suits, since I only have a couple of cheapy M&S ones, shirt wise, I wouldn't consider 4 for £100 remotely cheap :p

16. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I've had a few suits from Slaters, they do cheap suits and free alterations.

All mine have been provided by the dole though.. but they're all really good quality (all mine are usually about £100) and they will do alterations if you put on/lose weight for free for life!

17. Porkins' Wingman

Exactly what I'm more than happy to avoid, but I appreciate your enthusiasm. And for clarity, based on the first page advice, I can't see any point going through the £300 barrier, and £200 is more likely.

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I can certainly attest to this fact.
    When I was in Thailand I got two suits made; kashmere three piece suits, silk shirts and silk ties. Two suits, six silk shirts and four ties cost me roughly the equivalent of £500 there, and all of those were tailored. And while we're at the subject of tailoring; sure, you can claim that sweatpants and t-shirts are the most comfortable clothes available, but there is nothing that compares to the feel of a properly tailored suit.

As to where you can get good suits locally for cheap though - I have no idea. Keep looking, you'll find some eventually - slipping into a good suit is a good feeling. Shallow? Yes absolutely. Somewhat arrogant? Possibly. But good? Definitely. When you find a suit you like, that you feel good in and that looks good on you, go for it.

It is my honest opinion that any man needs at least two suits in his wardrobe, four would be better, but at least two.

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Suits?

http://www.cadandthedandy.co.uk/

bai.

Not cheap, but for a saville row, made to measure suit, you'll be hard pressed to beat it. Play with ther designer on the website, it's awesome. My next suit will be from here.

20. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I'm not sure I've seen you mention what you actually need a new suit for, is it a daily suit or a special occasion affair?

Daily suit I'd go cheaper as it'll wear out and start to look tatty whereas a special occasion suit I'd spend a little more money on it.