1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD For a mac...hear me out, its not mine! :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 28 May 2012.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Hey guys,

Now before I get all of the hatred about macs :thumb: its not mine, my dad has one for work (new mac book pro) and wanted to stick a SSD in it as he has seen how quick my laptop and PC now boot.

Now i remember a while ago talking about only certain SSD's working in macs and others not having trim etc so i need advice on what SSD and also what to do to get it working/set up and installed etc.

So if possible links and data to back up claims, knowledge! If not ill just take your word haha.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

From experience, OCZ Vertex2 works fine, and the third party TRIM enabler works as well.

Other drives that work, and can be recommended are pretty much anything SandForce. Brands:

- Intel
    - OCZ Vertex
    - Samsung

NB: Samsung are one of Apple's OEMs.

3. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

You may want to double check whether the Fan control goes through the HDD on whatever model MB pro it is. If it does, you'll have fans running at full speed constantly.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Fantus, that only happens on the iMacs, which have an extra pin-out on the SATA cable for temp readings. MacBook Pros are just a drop-in upgrade.

5. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I've got a Crucial M4 128gb in my Macbook Pro and it's never given any problems at all. Works at 6gbps and with TRIM.

6. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I wasn't sure whether it was the same for both or not. That's that cleared up then :thumb:

One of the guys at work has had a Crucial M4 256Gb in his for a few months and is dead chuffed with it. He was considering buying a new Macbook but the SSD and a RAM upgrade has made more than enough difference to the speed; loads Photoshop in a few seconds now.

7. Mimic

Mimic What's a Dremel?

I have 2 force 3's in my desktop mac and another in my mbp and all work flawlessly. I went with a sandforce drive for the natural garbage collection although trim is mean to work fine but I was unsure at the time.

I will never go back to a mechanical drive for my boot disk after using an ssd. regardless of the cost, the money you would save in time will pay for it ten fold in osx.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've just dropped a couple of the Seagate hybrid drives into a pair of 2007 Macbok Pro's at work, and that worked fine.
    Definitely faster than the previous harddrive, but not as fast as an SSD, we went for them because we needed the space more than the speed.
    One downside of upgrading the HDD in a Mac is that while you can easily clone the OSX partition (using Clonezilla), you can't migrate an OSX, and a Bootcamp partition, and resize both of them.
    Only way I could find to do it, was backup the bootcamp stuff separately, delete the partition, resize OSX and then create a new Bootcamp installation.
    I think you might be able to do it by modifying the OSX and Bootcamp boot loaders, but I've not found a tool that can do it easily so you'd have to do some serious research and put the hex in yourself, personally I just re-installed windows.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The issue was with Crucial M4 and Intel 520 in 15 and 17" inch early 2011 Macbook Pros due the interference on the SATA "cable" when running at SATA3 speeds . SandForce 2xxx drives had some initial problems as well, sometimes you couldn't see them, but i had no issues with my Corsair Force 3 240GB in my early 2011 13" Macbook Pro (no problems with Intel X25-M G2 80GB either).

10. JimmyTheTrumpet

JimmyTheTrumpet What's a Dremel?

I've got a Crucial M4 256GB in my Macbook Pro 13" and it's the best upgrade I've done. With the 8GB of RAM it absolutely flies as Fantus said. Fitting it is pretty foolproof too.

I was in two minds over enabling the unsupported TRIM support. In the end I decided not to and have noticed no ill effects so far. I spend enough time dealing with Mac problems at work, I don't really want to come home to it, I want it to "just work" :hehe:

11. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Same Dilema

I have the same question, my dad wants an SSD for his 15" Mac Book Pro, but its a first gen i7 @ 2.66Ghz,so its around 1-2 years old. The Mac says (Mid 2010).
    It is running on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

He wants 120-128GB. Any ideas?

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

...Just read what has been written above and pick from there?

13. matt_lumley

Dad stuck in his Force 3 120GB and is working brilliantly. Any of the above should work. :thumb:

14. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

So the Corsair Force 3 definitely works?
    I have also seen loads of deals on the OCZ Agility drives, not sure about them. Arnt they meant to be budget SSD's? Read the Bit Tech review and they said pretty much the same thing.
    Should I be looking at Vertex, M4's and Force 3's?
    Any links to awesome offers welcome :D

15. matt_lumley

I have a M4 in my laptop, an Agility 3 in my desktop and my dad has a force 3 in his mac book, all exceptional drives in my opinion, did some swapping around and couldnt tell a difference between my M4 and Agility 3 in my desktop or my laptop.

16. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Anyone heard or know much about these?

Ok, going for a Crucial M4 128GB as I have the 256GB version on my gaming rig and love it.

On the Mac do I need to set ACHI? How do I even do that on a Mac and what program do I need to get to enable TRIM.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2012
  17. bsp

bsp Minimodder

The crucial M4s are dropping in price a LOT. check ebuyer and hotukdeals for more info - there's a 10% voucher there.

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

AHCI doesn't need enabling. I would also not bother with the TRIM upgrade, modern drives can deal without it. Of course, if you're that insistent, the second post in this topic has a link to it.