1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Overclocking Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 10 Jun 2012.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

overclocked my graphics card and i was getting higher fps now todfay overclocked it again and even without overclock fps on all games is lower its like unplayable now, what to do now?

before i was getting higher framerates on games and now the same games are unplayable for some reason i checked the temps im getting around 60c in gpu

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Could be that the overclock that you applied was a bit much for the card to handle, try resetting it to its default setting and see what fps you get

3. maple

maple Minimodder

ive put it back on default and its even worse then how it used to be on default

i overclocked the core clock to the max which was only 25mhz higher then normal, and the memory clock up by 104mhz i tried max before and it crashed and blue screen so thats as far as i can go

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

sounds like you might have cooked the card. Uninstall the drivers and try installing them again

5. maple

maple Minimodder

looks like im never overclocking ever again its not worth the risk if it kills my hardware

what is the best graphics card i can get for a 450w power supply that has 1x 6 pin pci cable

6. maple

maple Minimodder

what is your opinion on underclocking? maybe i should underclock and run everything lowest settigns so i dont break my gpu?

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No point underclocking, the card is designed to run at its stock speeds, so you get no advantage.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

lower power consumption/less heat? if your playing an old game without vsync you get crazy fps like 200+ i think underclocking is great then, i tried it before, temps are much much cooler

some people still play games from 2002 2004 etc you know

9. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Sound like its bitched to me.

Have a look on tomshardware site for the "Graphics Card Hierarchy" table, it lists the graphics cards according to perfomance. You might need to check a few of them for individual specs re power draw and PCIe connectivity but you will know where you stand in the rankings for performance.

I have pasted a link below to the May-12 version of the table.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32442-7.html

Itchy Rim

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

11. maple

maple Minimodder

i have only had it for a few months and its still under warranty does overclocking void warranty? and what would XFX do about my card they may not even believe me about whats happened or may even say its fine so they dont have to replace it

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

You're, of course, right, if you don't want the power of the card...but if that's the case, buy a cheaper card to begin with.

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Overclocking a GPU wasn't really worth the effort for me until the GTX 680. Imagine if you could only overclock a CPU between 50 and 100mhz... it wouldn't be worth the effort. Well that's how it's been with the GPU until I bought a 680. I get +150mhz with the core and +500mhz on the vram and it actually does boost the fps enough to make it worthwhile.

My previous 560Ti showed almost no improvement when overclocked from 860mhz to 960 but the power consumption went up enormously.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Has noone suggested the Obvious; OCP. The latest Nvidia drivers really lowered the trigger point for OCP, even a few mhz on the core clicks it on for my cards, and it stays on for an alarming amount of time.

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If your card is relatively new and messed up after such a small overclock, it sounds like your card was duff anyway. I've often ran my card at 120mhz over its stock overclocked settings.

But yes, your warranty is void. But if everything is reset to defaults, i'm not so sure they can prove you have overclocked it. Definitely try reinstalling drivers. Hopefully someone can clear up if the manufacturer can tell if the card has been overclocked. Then, if they can't tell, obviously it won't matter and you can just rma :D

16. maple

maple Minimodder

ever since i bought the card it has been blue screening though; whenever i switch my pc off and switch it on straight after basically just restart the picture goes purple and straight into a blue screen i have to switch power of at mains then restart so no blue screen, i also dont have another gpu to use on this computer at the moment

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

wtf since when does overclocking a card void warranty? That's gotta be bs..

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If it was through afterburner or catalyst then you'll be fine. It's only if you've played with the bios that will void the warrenty.

19. maple

maple Minimodder

i used msi afterburner, but what should i tell XFX? im just getting lwoer fps than usual then they may say we'll test it, a week later they may say its fine or soemthing stupid like that

20. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Sounds odd to damage a card by overclocking it so little and adding no additional voltage. What temps were you getting while overclocking? Also make sure afterburner isn't applying the old clocks on startup by default.