1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project SR-2 Desk

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The Boy Riley, 17 Dec 2011.

1. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:words seem to be evading me at the moment...:jawdrop:

2. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

A+ craftsmanship!!! :jawdrop: :clap: sub'd

3. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

That mobo omg what a beast and the desk matches it perfectly!!:jawdrop:

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Wish I had tools like that. Your build looks great so far and you're hardware makes me drool :D

5. The Boy Riley

The Boy Riley What's a Dremel?

Its almost as if I built is specially :p

Thank you for all kind responses, just started a new job so bit hectic, been working on the desk last weekend though, got the fans and the aquaero so I'm finishing a few bits in the workshop then going to crack on with the wiring, will post the pics as soon :)

6. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

:D very nice work :thumb:

7. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

Nice looking desk, I've been working on a design for one for some time now and I appreciate the many ideas I've gotten from this build. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

8. The Boy Riley

Zomg :O updates!

UPDATES :O

so here's what you might expect when I've been quiet for this long...

[​IMG]

But just started a new job so on with the build :)

Frame back together and panels back on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the second pump, now I don't need to dismantle the current pc to rob its D5

[​IMG]

Made the threaded strips that retain the I/O shield on the back panel... these took longer than you might think, but they turned out really nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the mesh to size for the radiator chamber vents

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the fans the other day so dropped them in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And checked to see if the board fits with the newly attached I/O shield ( it does :) )

[​IMG]

currently at the point where all the places for HDD's and the aquaero are drawn on, so working out what needs to be cut to accommodate the wiring for everything and trying to deicide how I want the cooling to look :)

more to come soon.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2013
    Waynio likes this.
  9. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

awesome to see some new progress man, it looks great!
    Goodluck with your new job!

10. RobotNerd

RobotNerd What's a Dremel?

The mesh covering for the radiator chambers and their plates look absolutely fantastic.

I saw your plan was to paint any panels black and it looks like red for the frame, but I think the look of the angle braces and the corner brackets as bare aluminum against the red and black would really match the motherboard and water blocks, and provide some nice accent pieces to the desk.

Really amazing and precise work.

11. The Boy Riley

Thanks :) i was thinking that initially, but went with stainless bolts throughout so all thr joints will be black again red with shiny bolt.

I do see where your coming from though. I've got some spare joints, I was going to not get them powder coated so I could see what they look like after :) would be quite cheap to make up another set of joints if it looked awesome, just time consuming.

and thanks about the mesh, took a while to machine the groove they sit in, so I'm really pleased with how it turned out :)

12. The Boy Riley

Been getting on with the wiring layout and tubing this weekend, so here's some pictures :)

Picked up some fittings so I could see what they look like in person and how many I'll need with the layout etc, got some test tubing too so don't get scared off by the horrible white tube.

Dropped the Radiators in one side and put the grills on, last thing I wanted was to put my finger through one of them whilst wrestling tubing.
    [​IMG]

This seemed like the easiest and least kink-worthy way to do the rads and it looks awesome, the pictures unfortunately don't do the fittings justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

moved onto playing with the motherboard, so I cracked out the CPU and RAM blocks for a play.

[​IMG]

these look nice, but I'll be swapping the angles for 90 degrees then I wont need any other rotary joints for the rest of the board (apart from ram block to res at the end)

Found some tubing from my last rig (shows the quality of Tygon as its been sat for 4 1/2 years and is still perfect) using the tygon gave a much better visual than the white stuff but it is only 7/16 so the real thing will be a smidge thicker but the extra flex was really noticeable compared to the XSPC white stuff. I was a bit shocked at the difference as a lot of people I've spoken to rave on about the XSPC tubing, but then again Tygon is about 5 times the price...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent the rest of today cutting down some offcuts of box section to start the hard drive brackets and they look good so far :)

[​IMG]

Reverse progress :O

Had a setback with the wiring, I had to send back my Aquaero so I'll be jumping back on the fans and whatnot once I get a new one, should be trying to forge ahead with the rest of the wiring though.

Thanks for reading :)

13. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Awesome craftmanship and insane hardware :D:dremel:

14. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Ill only ever use Primochoill tubing. Try it and you might say the same thing :)

15. The Boy Riley

Just a quick update today, in the process of finding some bits and pieces so I finished the HDD mounts this afternoon.

Stole some screws from an old Thermaltake case I used to have (first water cooled build... memories...) then added some rubber dampers from a maplins DIY kit (it's screws were crap) then milled the indents into the brackets :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furball Zen likes this.
  16. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

On the rads, why dont you just jump from the two inner ports instead of inner to outer? Theres no difference in flow and it will clean that up good.

17. The Boy Riley

It makes the angle on the inner port a really tight angle to the plate, I need it to come through high on the bulkhead :)

18. Reconnec7ed

Reconnec7ed What's a Dremel?

I would recommend forming the tubes in hot water and do away with the 45 degree fittings
    Just a suggestion :D looks great!

19. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

please Please PLEASE tell me this project hasn't been shelved?!?! :waah:

20. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:

MOTM? When its done?

Unbelieveably brilliant!