1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows windows 7 freezes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by improprietary, 10 Jun 2012.

1. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

So i gave my pc a spring cleaning inside and after that, everytime i'd boot into windows it'd freeze all of a sudden with no explanation.
    I didn't give it much thought and decided to reinstall windows from scratch but the same problem occurs. I have updated my bios and don't know what else i could do to make this work again!
    I didn't install new hardware or remove it, i just gave it a cleaning (no esd at any time)

Please help :confused:

Asus p8p67-M pro
    Intel i5 2500
    corsair dominator dhx 8gb
    corsair hx 750W

2. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

With Compressed air? I use a dog grooming blaster much cheaper than cans of air. Never had an issue. Did you hold the fans still etc?? Tried reseating the ram and graphics card?

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It's probably going to be a hardware issue, you may have either accidently knocked a component out or quite possibly forced dust into one of the slots where the RAM or graphics are and causing an intermittent connection.

Have you managed to get anything from the logs?

4. improprietary

nothing from the logs. I have inspected the slots and they appear to not be dusty at all. Incase they are, would it be possible to "blow" it out somehow?

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Canned air/air dusters are very good for cleaning out dust. However ensure your computer is disconnected from the mains and never turn the can upside down or shake it (as it produces water vapour).

Check your connections, perhaps your power connectors are not secure?

6. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

Did you use a vacuum to clean your machine?

7. improprietary

Nope i wouldn't dare :)
    I used compressed air.

8. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

I had hoped not :D

With the system locking up right when you get to windows I would look at either failing RAM, faulty GPU or failing hard drive.

There's tons of free linux boot cd's out there that are good for testing your system, if you already have one that includes memtest+ then I would start there, if not then I recommend Knoppix since it's debian based.

If memtest+ doesn't find any errors then start with checking the hard drive, from any linux console the command "badblocks -svn <drive name>" will run a low lowlevel bad block scan without damaging the data on the drive. And just booting all the way up to the desktop on a livecd is generally test enough for the GPU but there are other tests that can be run.

9. improprietary

i might have accidentally the gpu :sigh:
    Now it won't show graphics and i don't have onboard graphics. I'll just bite the bullet and pay for the repair.

Thanks for all the help though! :D

10. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Before you pay for repairs if you already haven't remove the GPU and the RAM and the CMOS Battery.Blow the empty slots out with compressed air, reseat the GPU and ram and retest. Also check your fan connections to the CPU. This may save you a lot of time and money for 10 mins of work.

11. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

I second that...

Tags: