1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ebay Gaming Computers/My Pc/Epic Beards!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 13 May 2012.

1. el2k

el2k Modder

I read the first 3 pages.

Good read, LoL'ed hard.

(sorry that this isn't helpful at all)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Try RealTemp.

3. maple

maple Minimodder

Can anyone suggest a good cooler? One that will be quiet? it must be a smaller cooler to fit in the case also, how is the arctic alpine 64?

4. maple

maple Minimodder

no one suggested me a cooler so i just went for an arctic cooler i got a back case fan too, now how do i remove the old thermal paste?

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I use a baby wipe as I have them readily available. Wet tissue also works. Some also use isopropyl alcohol as well as some tissue to make all the residue is gone.

6. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you sir you deserve a medal

now since i do not have any baby wipes how about using wetting a cloth and wiping the cpu with the cloth im scared since my cpu cost a lot and i dont want to break it

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just pick up some isopropyl alcohol if you're worried. It's cheap and has plenty of uses. I toss a splash on a bandana and it works just fine.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

big problem. the thermal paste was ok but the only way i could get the freezer in was for it to face the power supply so now theres like a double whammy of air the power supply conflicting with the cooler, the board and case was matx, the board made it so it had to be two ways i originally wanted the air to go outside the back of the case but now its being shoved into the power supply

9. maple

maple Minimodder

i got some arcticlean

10. noizdaemon666

Most coolers when fitted to AMD face up/down. It shouldn't affect anything that much really. Unless your CPU is constantly dumping tons of heat into the PSU.

Oh and for future reference, CPUs are generally very resilient to water. I've rinsed mine under the tap before without adverse affects. Obviously dry it before reinstalling it lol

11. maple

maple Minimodder

if i put it the other way there would be like only 1mm between the psu and fan but with the way it is now how am i going to get a decent gpu in since the fan is in the way

12. noizdaemon666

So the fan obscures your PCI-E slot? Or does it just come close?

13. maple

maple Minimodder

cant get a decent gpu in there since its in the way i will open it later on to have another look at the room but as i remember the fan is in the way.

conclusion: dont get a cheap case, even though its fractal its crap

no where to put wires, and power supply goes at the top, if psu was at the bottom the fan could have faced opposite direction and wouldve been space for gpu

and dont go for matx go for normal atx so the fan can face the rear so the air can go out the rear rather than heating up the case like an oven

14. noizdaemon666

I don't think ATX would have been different for you. On nearly every AMD system with aftermarket coolers, the cooler has to fit looking up or down. Very few coolers fit the standard way.

As long as you can clearly see the PCI-E slot, you should be able to get a graphics card in (that's looking certically down on it). Which Arctic cooler did you get by the way?

Oh and I'll never get a cheap case again, I had similar issues with cables and making sure everything had a cool air source when I had a CM Elite 335.

15. maple

maple Minimodder

i think it was the arctic freezer pro revision 2, so its normal then i see with the cooler, but that really sucks since the air is jsut being directed in the case.

so what cases do you reccomend then,whats the cheapest good one and what did you end up donig with the wires?

16. noizdaemon666

I bundled the spare ones up and crammed them above the DVD drive. The ones in the case I couldn't do much with except press long cables under the edges of my motherboard and behind the HDD caddies.

As for cases have you got a budget in mind?

17. maple

maple Minimodder

i already have this fractal now so im not going to get another one maybe in future so i can get a dedicated gpu in there, thats why i asked what is the cheapest good one, i want the nzxt phantom but its around a hundred,what do you think of the corsair 800D and cosmos 2 i know they are around 10x the price, im not going to get one but what are your opinions on them

18. noizdaemon666

They are brilliant cases, but more for watercooling. Spending that much on air cooling is just silly. I'd go for something like the Antec One Hundred which is basically a high end case for £45. I just picked up a Phantom from work and I'm epically happy with it. So easy to build in and oceans of room (compared to my old case).

The Antec One Hundred performs very similarly to a Phantom in its stock fan configuration. (I read the Bit Tech reviews before I decided on a new case :lol:)

19. maple

maple Minimodder

so no need to spend more than £50 on a case then even if you are getting stuff like 2500k GTX 580, about water cooling i think it looks cool but isnt it going to leak and ruin everything one day

20. noizdaemon666

It shouldn't leak if done properly with decent components.

Also, I'd never say don't spend more than £50 on a case. It depends how cool you want your hardware and how much you need to cram in. I'm looking at possibly going for SLI in my rig and I certainly wouldn't want to attempt that in a small case.