1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 4GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

First graph of Skyrim you've highlighted the 670 rather than 690, and not highlighted the 690 on the 2nd heat graph :)

Regardless, looks like a monster of a card, sure the price is obscene, but so is the performance!

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Given that it is so much overkill for any game and the fact microsoft will probably introduce direct x 12 with windows 8. This just seems a complete waste of money only existing so nvidia can brag about having the fastest cards and so a few (very few) people have a willy waving GPU.
    Don't misunderstand me. I do like a fast system. But surely putting in a fast GPU is also done for a bit of future proofing and if DX11 is about to become obsolete then the card seems more like a gimmick.

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I wonder how many of these cards they reckon will sell?

If I had £880 spare I doubt I'd spend it on a graphics card, probably because I've never been a fan of dual GPU cards or SLI/Crossfire due to driver problems. Perhaps the issues have been exaggerated but I'd hate to lash out that kind of cash and find I can only get the benifits from a limited number of games.

Still amazing numbers, both performance wise and cost.

5. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

I'm amazed Bit-tech even bothers to do a review of a product released more than a month ago. Alternatively, why is your review a month late?

Also, why does my browser get spammed with endless pop-ups and super annoying full-screen questionnaires whenever I visit your website? It's like trying to navigate though malware, no other tech site I've seen subjects their users to anything remotely like the vulgar and intrusive advertising techniques deployed here at bit-tech. With any credibility the site once had a quickly fading memory, I wonder what's next, before your publisher finally pulls the plug.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

@Dave Lister: I do not think DX12 will be included in Windows 8, in fact they will include DX11. And if you Google you can't find anything about dx12 (Except on some fake download sites). Seems to me DX12 is not even developed otherwise Microsoft would probably already bragged about it.

7. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

880£ ! I got my complete system for like 800£....
    Is it worth benchmarking such a card at 1920x1080? I doubt someone buying this card would be gaming at those resolutions..

8. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Check ur system before ranting about Bit-tech...There are no pop ups /spam on my end

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The two things that amaze me most of all are:

1) Some people will actually buy this card, and;
    2) In a few years time these will be £100 on eBay.

:duh:

11. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the world of technology :)

12. Shirty

Where only Apple products hold their value, because people are too stupid to realise that outdated tech wrapped in shiny plastic is still outdated tech.

:wallbash:

13. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Yes because if there is something Apple is known for, then its shiny plastic.....

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I would have liked to have seen comparisons against stock 680's in SLI (which can be had for £60 less) and 4GB 680's in SLI. Also why no overclocking? I know every card is different, but you could at least see what is possible.

15. Shirty

And nice screens, I'll give 'em that :p

Actually, to be fair to Apple whilst I am not part of their demographic I respect their style and products and I can see why people are happy to part with their cash. I'm just all about bigger and better.

Sorry for the derail, back to the 690... it's a massively desirable product, but no more so than a couple of 680 4GB cards.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I HATE the current obsession with everything being plastered in shiney plastic. especially piano 'fingerprint' black.

17. Shirty

We're looking specifically at you, Razer Black Widow. :grr:

18. veato

veato I should be working

Did I miss the bit in the benchmarks where it was tested alongside SLI 680's?

19. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

What I would be interested to know is what the thermals are like in a case with fans blowing at the internal end of the card - etc the Silverstone Fortress, Raven etc - i.e. fans blowing directly against one of the exhausts.

20. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

So, just how does $1100 translate into £900.

I'd like to know what exchange rate they're using, because it's not one based on this planet.

UK consumers expected to pay more than a 30% pure profit markup.

Bunch of rip off W@#@*%S.

Tags: Add Tags