1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which 670 would you get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 12 May 2012.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Thank you that is quite in depth and reassuring for me as my card is not doing well in my new case.

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I'll see your Cheesecake and raise you 2 x 4GB Superclocked that also landed today :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No testing done yet, too busy doing some tidying in my case at long last - roll on waterblocks EK!

Let the games commence :)

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Doooiiiinnngggg!:jawdrop:

4. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

hey just a quick one dizzi

how are temps on the cards on air. im getting the same mobo as you and may not be able to fit water on the gpus at first due to the waterblock not being out for the asus 670 directCU2.

how are temps with both cards in sli ? are they reaching the limits ?

regards

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Has any one tested the 2GB models on a 30" Dell with BF3 or Crysis 2 all max settings?
    Will there still be a need for th 4GB model for 27" and 30" screens?
    I am not quite sure as they have mixed up the entire architecture with adding here and removing there.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

*grumblegrumble*

Someday, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday, I'll be able to actually afford a set-up like that :)

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I know how you feel. At least if I was running something like that; I could at least give the cards some air. I've got a two-slot gap between cards at Stock, because Asus were being a little wierd the day they built this board, apparently.

That said; I have the money to afford 3x 670s, but I'd then have no money to afford a car or insurance afterwards, so I'm not going to touch that.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

They came up with that great idea when 3 slot coolers where common and its good for cooling so it is good in my books :D

9. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Will I see much of a benefit going from my current sli 570s to the 670?
    Initially I would probably get 1 4GB version, possibly ending up with 2 in sli, although I would wait until the waterblocks come out.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The suffocated one is topping out at 85c which I think is pretty decent and the same~ as the 680s I had last week. The fan is reasonably quiet. The second card is much better, 77c maximum. Maybe if I increased the speed of the case fans it would improve but they're quite loud on high and 85c worst case is fine.

Obviously as soon as the blocks are available it won't be a problem anymore. They are boosting to around 1138-1150 on both cards.

I don't usually spend this much on a gaming machine. I ran a e8500 and single 4870 for 3 years before going 1155.

Since getting that first sandybridge however, I have got the upgrade itch a fair bit!

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012
  11. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

same. also the 4870 is a quality card. served me well for 4 years too. even for another year on my u2711

N17 dizzi likes this.
  12. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I'll raise you by one.

[​IMG]

Came in a week ago, but I was away for some family functions a few thousand miles away.

I've got two of them in my system now, but before I do anything else I need to figure out why I get major artifacting in Skyrim. I've a dozen or so mods, all of which ran fine on my GTS 250 1GB. The artifacting occurs in non-SLI on one monitor, or in NVIDIA Surround. Temps seem fine ~70degC for the cards. Clocking up to 1123 according to PrecisionX.

Not sure where to go from here, Skyrim without mods or download Heaven or some other benchmarking tool.

Lol... just bumped to 120% power... that's a logical step right?

Update: Back to default settings, Vanilla Skyrim (with several high res texture mods), and Heaven both artifact running in non-SLI on first GPU. at 1920x1200. I am not pleased, any suggestions?

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Goddammit! Well as your not going tri sli with them, I call it even steves ;)

What mobo are you running the 2 cards in?

Skyrim is a bit buggy anyway... can you do a screen grab of the artifacts?

If the problem is with distant snowy mountains its z fighting on lod textures IIRC..
    Whiterun is the worst. You can improve it by lowering 'distant object detail' to medium.
    I also increased the ugridstoload to 7 which made things look better, tho it can mess with saves if your not careful.

Finally finished tidying my computer room - I wish it stayed this tidy!

[​IMG]

Good a place as any to post this pic, it does have some 670s in it!

14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Can you take some photos or preferably a vid of the artifacts? Heaven is glitchy too, so not the best of tests!

I've mentioned before, I find 3d mark 2006 canyon flight test is the best one. That always shows up a genuine problem. Or looped unigine tropics (maybe 5 full loops will be enough).

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i seem to remember an article about EVGA having to recall some cards because of just such a problem....

16. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

So I ran Heaven with these settings:
    [​IMG]

In progress shot:
    [​IMG]

Crash/ Artifacting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I shut off AA, no artifacting, but Heaven still crashes.

I ran the Skyrim intro trying to get artifacting there, and instead I got framerates like this:
    [​IMG]
    It didn't crash though, AA is still on in Skyrim and when it does crash, it looks just like the Heaven crash. In SLI with Surround all three screens do it, without SLI only the 2 right (GPU1). I'm thinking of switching the GPUs to see if my GPU1 has an issue.

I will be thoroughly pissed if this is the case. I almost held off because of the issues with SuperClocks, but since this is a 4GB card, I hoped I would be safe from the issue, apparently not.

17. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Yea, but I ran into this issue before I changed settings which I used on my GTS 250. I may have tweaked the NVIDIA Control Panel settings before launching though. Maybe back to default? I am running Skyrim Flora Pack, 2K Textures, HD Snow and Ice, and maybe a few other texture packs which I can't disable without clean install. I did shut off all my .esp mods (A Better Whiterun, Riverwood Redux, Deadly Dragons, Amazing Follower Tweaks, Parthurnax Fix, Faster Horses, WATER, Natural Rain, etc.) and still got the same issues. I do have my .inis tweaked too. I had to shut off WATER and Natural Rain on my GTS 250 due to sub 10 framerates, but it never crashed. That said, I know all of the above can run on a 670 with steady 50+ FPS, and solid 60 with SLI enabled.

I'm running it in my P8P67 Pro from my sig. The third card is going in my wife's new machine with similar specs but 2 monitors.

Here's my setup for the 670s:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my office, for reference/ e-peen purposes:
    [​IMG]

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Look at the memory usage difference on the 2 cards in this shot. Was SLI enabled? I would rule everything out before RMA.

You say its doing it with only 1 card. Do you mean 1 with the other still in the machine or on its own entirely? Are all 3 doing the same thing?

19. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

This is with SLI disabled running the game on one monitor at 1920x1200. When the game freezes, the artifacting only occurs on the two right screens connected to GPU1, not on the left screen connected to GPU2. In SLI with Surround enabled all three screens show artifacting. Until I swap the cards, or swap in the 3rd card which is still in box, I won't know for sure, but it seems like my "primary" card has issues.

Enabling SLI kills my two extra monitors if I don't put it in surround. I am using my extra monitor for PrecisionX and Speedfan.

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Any word on Crysis 2 (with high ress pack and DX11) or BF3 all maxed out forced MRSAA on 2560x1600? Does it use more then 2GB Vram? Does any one have a U3011 to test this?