1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Simracing DIY cockpit

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by feathers, 14 Jun 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Intresting vid.

I won't be building, mine is bolted to desk.

^^^ PVC with Jessica Lopez breasts and body.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2012
  2. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I cant see the vids atm as im at work (IE6 Cheesecake) but what sorta costs go into these builds? I would love one but it seems a bit excessive lol

Is it worth it? I havent played much like that (apart from at arcade when younger) but always loved to play like forza or something on a proper setup.

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The wood in the first vid cost about $36 I think. They had a spare seat lying around.

Whether it's worth it depends if u like racing sims enough.

I have a nephew who has a mazda repair and rebuilt shop. He has also built racing mazdas but he loves driving so much he built himself a driving frame for his logitech G25.

I have the Fanatec Porsche GT3 V2 wheel and pedals. No room for cockpit so the wheel is bolted to desk. Body vibration courtesy aura interactor cushion bought on ebay but u can easily make your own with a bass speaker bolted to back of chair and driven by a small amp from subwoofer out on soundcard. 3d vision to complete the immersion.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Here's mine.

All the wood and stuff we had in the garage or shed, seat cost me £20.

[​IMG]

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If the wheel wasn't so expensive. I wouldn't mind making one at all.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Nice, is that G25 or G27? I'd make a cockpit if I had the space in my computer room.

I never intended to buy Fanatec wheel and pedals costing £309 (+65 for stick shifter), I bought the Simraceway SRW-S1 free floaty wheel and it stopped working 2 days later so I RMA'd it and then discovered the Fanatec. I went crazy and blew £309 on it and got the optional stick shifter a few months later. Very nice wheel and pedals.

I try not to think of £300 being expensive... it's just £100 x 3.

7. Elton

It's hard to justify it given the relative non-usefullness of it.

That's a G25 btw.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

yup.

G25, doesn't really get the use it deserves, mainly as I have to move around monitors and cables or run a second PC and its a right pain the backside, kind of, :D

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

That is why I didn't use my old wheel and pedals much in the 12 years since I bought it cos I hated having to move keyboard off the desk, clamp wheel in place, then unclamp and move keyboard back after.

For the Fanatec it stays bolted in place on desk where the keyboard used to sit. Keyboard floats above the desk together with the monitor on extending arm.

10. Elton

If I had a wheel I'd just put the damn thing on wheels. And then lock the wheels when I want to use it. Plug it in. Simples.

11. atblack1

atblack1 Don't bother me please.

Canon & I built one of the PVC rigs. It's utterly useless unless you're doing something like racing in a series and need a quiet, comfortable isolated space to do it and also have plenty of guff to mount on it, like buttkickers or a custom shifter, button boxes etc.

He's running triple 19"s mounted rather sketchy lol and a heavily modded g27, i'm bogged down by a 30 quid thrustmaster but going to pick up a DFGT or Fanatec this month.

The wood rig looks like a childs play area.

edit: might ask for pics to add here

12. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

while i admire the work and effort that goes into these homebrew contraptions. I can't help but think: "Why don't you just drive your car?"

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Adding wheels to a steering wheel to turn it into a vehicle you can drive.

Post pics.

The amount of effort that goes into setting up a PC for battlefield 3, can't help but think: "why don't you just join the army?"

My nephew builds real sports and race cars, he has a nice car or two, he has his own car repair business yet he built a racing cockpit out of metal and attached logitech G25 to it...

Why? Because sim racing is different from driving down the M25 or speeding along country lanes. Not everyone has access to a real racing car on a real racing track.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Because petrol is expensive, I would certainly much rather be driving my real car though, :D.

It's nice to experience some more powerful cars too though, and it's really good for learning track layouts prior to going to track-days in real life.

15. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Ill need to keep this in mind when i have the room and cash lol

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

FFS feathers get your wallet out and give these folks a call. Anything else is a pale imitation.

17. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Whoa. Don't get your feathers in a ruffle.

Driving your car as opposed to a preconfigured cockpit is far more accessible than joining the army. Also, comparing BF3 to RL is beyond a stretch. What is there to set up anyway?

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

That does indeed look spiffy. I may buy... but I probably won't due to it being too expensive.

It depends what driving... as already mentioned... driving down the M1 is not the same as rally driving or Formula 1. How many people get to drive Formula 1? A home sim lets you experience that and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than driving a car.

People have built PC's just so they can run Battlefield 3. You could argue what is the point when you can drive a real tank... some people buy old military vehicles and run them... well, that is not the same as a battlefield simulation is it?

Pilots use simulators.

Soldiers use battlefield simulators.

Driving your work van or car is not the same as taking part in a virtual race.

:)

19. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Come on its obvious isnt it?.... I would love a racing cockpit because its the closest thing im gonna get to hooning round laguna seca in a GT3 Aston martin db9. I could never afford to do it in real life but i could afford a racing setup (once i have the room for a decent one)

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes, what he said above...

Let's look at this another way...

Why go to the bother of buying and playing an FPS game when you can run around playing paintball in real life? Surely it's better to play paintball than sit pushing a mouse and tapping keys?

You can't see the point in having a racing wheel and cockpit for driving sims so why not question other games as well?

You are questioning because a racing sim needs wheel and pedals and your car already has... Thing is your average driver isn't racing 20 other cars (unless he's a chav).

Why sit and watch a movie? Why not go out and do it in real life?

Sure driving a car is more real but you don't get any of what an F1 driver experiences without sitting in the real F1 car or having an F1 sim at home but then you knew all this already didn't you...