1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Simracing DIY cockpit

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by feathers, 14 Jun 2012.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Nope, just one post by my count ;)

:D

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The project cars can look stunning it seems. My issue is the lack of 3d glasses support and since the people behind it were responsible for NFS Shift 2 which was also totally screwy with 3d glasses - I know 100% they will never take the time to correct it and make it work. May sound trivial but adding depth makes a racing game or any other game far more realistic and immersive.

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Dont wait. Get on it now. Its very good

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't have a G27. I'm sad.

5. atblack1

atblack1 Don't bother me please.

It isn't the be all and end all. I'm leaning over one typing right now and I can safely say there's plenty of things I'd rather have.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes, I'd rather have a Fanatec.

7. atblack1

Really? Fair enough but not to my liking. Find the wheels too chunky and the add ons like the shifter too plasticy, you can actually see the seam running down some of them. The CSR and clubsport pedals are amazing though, I prefer the shape and size of the G27s but performance wise they are better.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The shifters have plastic body but metal shifter stick. The plastic is quite thick so it's quite strong. Ironically the shifter stick looks like it's made of plastic but it's always very cold and feels heavy so you know it's metal.

What put me off the logitech is the plastic footpedal assembly. Paying £200 for a wheel I dont want plastic pedals. Also the deadzone I read about on various forums that can't be reduced. I detest deadzone so I was worried about it being built into the G27.

Seeing the engineering that goes into the Fanatecs I made the right choice.

I'd rather have high density plastic body shifter and all metal footpedals on the fanatec rather than mostly plastic pedals of the logitech. I've always found logitech to be extremely reliable though. I still have the Formula Force GT pedals and wheel bought used 12 years ago. If the G27 is as reliable then that is good. It was the deadzone issue that put me off and the plastic pedals.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
  9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I really like that Cali highway track. I logged back into WMD forum and am downloading Pcars on torrent now.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Just tried Project cars again. Graphically looks quite nice but I can't get used to driving in 2d again. Everything is flat and cartoony. F1 2011, Race 07, Richard Burns, Dirt 3 all work with 3d glasses.

As much as I like the shiny cars I will have to give it a miss.

Driving in stereoscopic 3d is too good to forego.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, I will have a look when I get home later this week. :)

12. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

What monitor do you have for 3D?

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Was lucky to get LG W2363D before they replaced it with an inferior 60hz design.

Picture is bright and very good for gaming. Old samsung pebble looks washed out and faded beside it.

14. atblack1

That's absolutely true, yes, however, once you know a car and track it's no big issue to lose the feedback. On one of my old thrustmaster wheels with no FF I can set a lap time at Imola in the 1991 Williams .9 seconds faster than I can with a G27 and .96 seconds faster than I can with a vibration only wheel. Odd results but there you go.

I don't do this though, I think there has to be a perfect balance between competitive and fun, I don't want it to turn into another day job, with up to $10,500 up for grabs I can see why that would be an option though. I can accept that I need to shake most of the fun if I want to be competitive but I'd rather see how well I can do whilst still having fun, if i'm posting better times and more consistent races than someone with a serious face on then I'm genuinely pleased and have enjoyed myself thoroughly.

15. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Using an Obutto rig, x3 Dell 22" monmitors ( 5040x1050 )

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok the rig was expensive. The monitors i got cheapo on Ebay becuase they didnt come with any stands so i had them @ £65 each, hence why i didnt go x3 1920x1080.

This is Rfactor using the very very excellent FSR 2011 F1 mod. Skinned to an Orange arrows livery from the early 00's .

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Do you got a vibration system on it?

17. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

No, i cant as i live in an apartment which has wooden floors. I think my neighbours would want to kill me after full Grand Prix length race!

But yes, ive had my eye on a Buttkicker Gamer 2 for a while now. Just cant have it :(

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well nothing stopping u getting an Aura interactor cushion when one becomes available on ebay. That way the vibrations go directly into your body.

I had ago on pcars earlier and although it looked flat as a pancake in 2d, the vibration was excellent because the engine sounds are quite bassy.

19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

:jawdrop:

20. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

That obutto one looks great - nice work. They make solid cockpits.

Mine's a nixim - I'm sure i've shown it off before, but here it is again.
    Essentially, a 2600K powered PC, three 23" monitors, a CSR-Elite and CSPedals. I've got a buttkicker implanted into the base of the seat, and two shifters - a sequential taken from a BMW E39, and a Thrustmaster TSR-8 (or whatever it is).

[​IMG]

I love sim-racing. It's about the only gaming that I've consistently done since I've loved computers - everything else is just a phase.