1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Simracing DIY cockpit

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by feathers, 14 Jun 2012.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

:jawdrop:

I need some cash

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Looks great apart from that ugly white plastic thing beside it on the floor. That obviously doesn't belong there, did you remove it after the pic was taken?

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Nope, that's still next to it, and still not plugged in!! ha ha =)

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm pretty sure I have posted this in the past, but here ya go..

Excuse the terrible quality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Wow, heavy metal. Takes several people to lift I guess. You could put wheels on it.

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Very nice rig indeed. Whats that CSR Elite like? worth the ££? The Clubsports are definatly next on the to do list.

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

The clubsports are fab, and the CSR-Elite is pretty good. The force feedback and build quality of the wheel's base is 100%, but the actual wheel itself really lets the whole thing down. I'd wait for the Clubsport Wheel which is due for release this summer - the same base with a better (and detachable) wheel.

The feedback really is amazing though - best I've tried (and I've tried a _lot_ of wheels)

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

£525 for both. Is more than the rig cost. Im def gonna have the Clubsports very soon. Im getting very tired of the G27 pedals. Already had to swap the throttle and the cluth over because im pretty heavy footed.

Load cell is what i needs :thumb:

9. atblack1

atblack1 Don't bother me please.

I actually like the look and more so the price of the CSR elites.

10. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i think i'll wait for the prices to drop/new iterations to come out. Got a lot going on atm. I was simply curious as i've heard you go on about 3D being great quite a few times.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I crap on about it all the time. :)

It's a shame the W2363 was removed from sale cos it was £160 when I bought it and a friend of mine got a used one at BT shop for £125.

The 3d vision 2 glasses are good too. Last ages on a single charge.

I pretty much play all the games I can in 3d now and make it a point to check which ones are 3d vision certified (or at least rated "good").

Having raced on the sims with 3d glasses I couldn't go back to 2d racing. On F1 2011 for example, seeing the body of the car stretch out in front of you really puts you there. Being able to judge distance and really see the corners coming up. Taking the glasses off everything looks shockingly flat and cartoony. The feeling of immersion with the glasses on is quite incredible. Hard to describe but the feeling of being immersed and sucked into the game world is quite intense.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Just two. It's much lighter than it looks

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

People have some quite nice racing setups here it seems. Mine is just an office chair in front of desk but the wheel is bolted to the desk and single 3d monitor floats above along with the keyboard.

If I had the floor space I would build a racing frame I guess. Body vibration comes from Aura Interactor cushion... they show up on eBay from time to time. The Aura interactor amp is crappy in it's bass filtering, it lets a lot of higher frequencies through but that is not an issue when you connect it to the subwoofer out on audio card. I could get more intense vibration from mounting a bass speaker to back of my chair. I used to have a 12 inch guitar speaker there and it really used to shake when there was an explosion or other bassy sound effect.

14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Alex, i see your using Rfactor. Where do you race normally? Are you in a competitive league?

Im racing at Race2play here >>> http://www.race2play.com/homepage/show_member/15586

And our own independent league here >> http://www.core-racing.co.uk/index.php

15. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I tend to play offline really, as I play at random hours. When I do get to race online, I play with the chaps at Race Department, normally rFactor, rFactor2, NetKar, iRacing or LFS.

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I nearly checked out with 3 months of iRacing last night. 2 months free.

17. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

I would love to get more into driving sims, but need a good way to be able to transform my computer from regular use to driving and back again without too much fuss. Part of the reason I don't play as much is that I can boot up BF3 or something else and just play whereas for Dirt3 or something I have to move my KB/Mouse, bolt down the wheel, put the pedals in place, then work around them to get the game going.

Would love to see how some people have theirs set up for dual purpose.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well that's what I was on about earlier wasn't it. I didn't use my old wheel much in 12 years cos I couldnt be bothered moving stuff around every time I wanted to drive.

My solution was this...

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/53954-monitor-arm-keyboard-tray-psg02571.html

[​IMG]

Inexpensive and attaches to back of desk using either a clamp or bolts depending on your desk. I am used to it now. The wheel sits below and in front of keyboard.

19. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I dont mate. I just got a second computer for the rig. Not in my sig, and i bought most of the parts for it on here apart from a case which i had and a 6870 from a mate from my league.

Antec P180
    750g from the market place @ £30
    Asus AM3 motherboard with a Phenom 2 555 @4Ghz and 4gigs DDR3 £75 from marketplace
    6870 from a mate £30
    Corsair HX450 from ebay@ £17.99

and bob's your uncle for not so much cash. Runs my triple screens all day long at this res for my driving sims.

20. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I think the key to really enjoying your driving sims is your seating position along with a screen that is the right height and a wheel thats solidly mounted. I used a desk for years until i got the Obutto. Have not looked back. Its soo much different driving in the correct position it makes things just .... well right really.

Couldnt go back to a desk now. I think the Obutto was a cracking buy ( £462 ) delivered. Sounds like a lot but these things arnt somthing that you can pick up at the local co-op. Took me a lot of years to take the plunge and im so glad i did.