1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

I wasn't the first one with a desk build, however somehow I drove people mad I guess. :blush:
    All the people I know that also started a desk build are just like me so full of it and see so many opportunities :cooldude:

I'm really enjoying this thread so much as it's a complete different design :clap:

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Subscribed! Can't wait to see more. You have a real talent!

3. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

l3p you may not have been the first, but you were defiantly one of the first that built a desk that gives most the oooohhhlaalaa feelin when lookin at it!! :rock:

Ok well got into the workshop as early as i could but still don't feel I managed to get much done.. Think i spent most of the time contorting my body into weird and wonderful positions trying to drill into some of the smaller corners..

Started off by finished up bending all the profiles, this should hopefully be the lot!
    [​IMG]

Then started test fitting and drilling them
    [​IMG]

And got the riv-nuts mounted, so far I think im a close to 130 riv-nuts used... me thinks final assembly once its all been powder coated is gonna take a while.. :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally mounted!! I must say this has brought the panels together nicely, am really happy with the result!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a break from trying to bend and twist myself into the smaller corners and started working on the screen mounts.. measured them up then filed down some aluminium angle profile to be bent into shape
    [​IMG]

Bends came out pretty good, just used the vice and bent by hand since its nice and soft..
    [​IMG]

I will need to weld these up and then start working on the back plates for the screen case.. I will take some pics of the test fitting later for upload.

after that i couldt draw myself back to the small corners so was looking for anything i could do instead :blush:

So drilled out the button holes, and test mounted the button, for now there should be 3, power, reset and a lighting switch.
    [​IMG]

so after that it was back to trying to drill in the corners, after a few smokes and staring at the corners i realised i actually didnt need a mount where i was trying to drill, with the support struts i was putting in it would give sufficient hold and i could simply mount a screw head, for asthetic purposes where i was trying to drill.. had to stop myself from doing a happy dance in the workshop when that little gem struck!!

So got the other profile mounted and it worked out great!!
    [​IMG]

So that was it for this week, will be doing some work on the screen cases during the week hopefully :rock::rock:

Last edited: 9 Jun 2012
  4. Squigly

Decided to test the fitment of the screen frame I made up yesterday before I weld it up..

So this is the front frame, this will cover the standard bezel that is normally hidden behind the plastics
    [​IMG]

Stripped down a monitor and.... :rock: it fits like a glove!!
    [​IMG]

I was a little concerned about the top of the screen, there is some components that stick up higher that the rest of the monitor, but the angle profile i got was perfect, will allow me enough clearance to mount the next piece of angle plate that will essentially connect the back cover to this front bezel
    [​IMG]

All in all it fits really well, of course still some welds in the corners to finish it off, I will be making them black as well once all done.
    [​IMG]

Also measured out the back plates I will need, so will get those during the week.

The total bezel width is 10mm all round :thumb::rock: compared to the 30 of the plastic covers (50 on the bottom)

Last edited: 10 Jun 2012
  5. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Awesome stuff:thumb:

6. Squigly

Thanks bud, wish I could spend more time on the build :)

7. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

Take your time mate. The more time you spend on it, the less likely you will make mistakes that could cost you, or could slow your build.

It's looking great, this will be awesome to follow (already subbed since your first post).

Quality over quantity any day!

Keep it up!

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Perfect monitor surround! Loving this alot now!!!!

9. Squigly

Agreed, thanks bud!! Trust me I think I spend more time measuring and making sure that actually putting tools to material :idea:

Thanks, looking forward to finishing them off and tossing the nasty plastic!!

10. Squigly

Small update

Managed to get both legs outside panels support profiles mounted today, didnt take any pics as its the same as last week really.

I did spend some time this week working on a circuit i will be using for my lighting, its basically a 55 timer LED breather that allows me to control the "breathing" of the LED's in the case, all LED's will be connected to this, I may run 2 or 3 of them for different sequencing but will see.. Its just on a breadboard while i was testing so will have the PC boards made up soon.
    [​IMG]

Here is a short vid of it in action..

Apart from the support struts I also ordered the Plexiglas for the front of the desk this week so got that marked up and ready for sum cuttin
    [​IMG]

Got the basic shape cut out, still need to file it down for fine tuning the fitment.. that will take some time!
    [​IMG]

So back in the corner half stripped.. good news is that i only have 3 more holes to drill for these panels :rock: whoooop whooop :rock: am ordering the remaining aluminium for the front and back panels so will hopefully start on those next week... and that will mean back to drilling holes again :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2012
    Waynio likes this.
  11. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

like your design and your skill .

Keep going !!

12. James'Mods

James'Mods Mad Man Modder

Very cool revolutionary design. l3p going to enjoy this one. :)

13. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

I already am :D

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So nice :D sweet desk, nice curves, nice detail panels, bunch of things I like to see in a project all in 1. :rock::dremel:

I agree with 1 of the comments in the MOTM thread, this one should be due. :)

And cheers for pointing out the light breath mod, I'll have a go at implementing that, a lot better than plain none changing light. :thumb:

Oh forgetting the stars & rep. :D

Last edited: 18 Jun 2012
  15. Squigly

Thanks m8, doing the best i can before the baby arrives (less than a month to go, me thinks im not gonna Finnish in time)

lol, Thanks guys!!!

Thanks bud, I finished up the circuit last night so will do a update shortly and avid tonight, I think this little addition will work brilliantly in your build!!!

16. Squigly

Been working on the curcuit to controll the LED's, got some standard breadboard PC board to do the curcuit as apposed to etching an actual board, its going into a project box anyways :)

Getting there slowly.. problem with using this type of PC board is that there are solid tracks across the underside that i need to cut or "break" at certain points.. made the build of the board a little slow and painful.. :wallbash: I decided to use some 3pin fan headers that i had laying around to get power to the board as well as connect the LED strips.
    [​IMG]

Amazing how doing a simple little circuit can turn my desk into a war zone!!
    [​IMG]

Finally got the board done and working after a few trouble shooting items (tracks not being cut where they were needed)
    [​IMG]

Here is a better video of the effects the board allows, flash in fade out, fade in flash out, pulse or breathing effect..

Then got it onto the project box and fed the cables through
    [​IMG]

Done and ready to be mounted in the current rig till the desk is built :) will do another vid tonight showing the effect.
    [​IMG]

the more i think about it i think i am going to run a single board for all the lights.. if i add another for different sequencing on some lights i think im going to end up with a Christmas tree effect... :nono:

Update with vid of it controlling the CPU cooler lighting

Last edited: 19 Jun 2012
  17. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

18. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Like the led lit water block very nice!

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very nice tidy control box mate.

Will be a highly impressive lighting mod especially if you can run quite a bunch of LED's through it, looks great on the CPU cooler. :dremel:

20. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Is that 555 PIC?