1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Retina Displays for normal people?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuus, 11 Jun 2012.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Personally I think the display Apple used is fine. It's the rest of the system that puts me off.

It would be nice to see the mainstream OS (Windows - at least for now) become vector based rather than pixel (/raster) based. Windows has always had issues with scaling and it's one of my pet peeves that so many people run their monitors at less than native resolution just to scale up the fonts. Sadly that's currently the best way to do it in Windows (too many issues otherwise).

* Perhaps Metro will fix this (but probably only partially until at least Windows 9)

One other note (that I haven't yet seen mentioned) about these high pixel density displays is that they are leading (I hope) to the possibility of better VR glasses. :thumb:

regular old 19" LCDs (1280x1024 each, 3W x 2H =3840x2048 total)

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
  2. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Oh, boring :p I thought you meant each display was 3840x2048!

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

High density displays though still have issues. Such as panel yields. The denser the display the higher the chance for the panel to have defects.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Tyin

Why would apple put windows on a MacBook air

They have there own operating system

That's like the new microsoft tablet shipping with ios or andriod it's not gonna Happen

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yea, and don't even think about installing another OS on the new Windows 8 tablet (Surface). It's for sure locked in with the UEFI protection system.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

IBM T221 or similar

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

ARM version will be locked down. Core i5 (Pro) version not likely (i mean that one will probably have a option do disable the protection system). Plus for example Fedora is (will be) signed by Microsoft key FYI, so it can be installed :
    http://arstechnica.com/information-...oft-code-signing-to-contend-with-secure-boot/

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That would indeed be sweet. My whole setup was an experiment done before ATI / AMD came out with their "Eyefinity" six screen setup. I dread the day I have to abandon it.
    I think you misunderstood me. I want Windows to become vector based to fix issues with scaling. Either that or something to replace Windows. (Apple may be working on that but it's not there yet and I don't see the vast majority of workplaces like mine replacing all their computers with Macs - for starters there's too much proprietary software that only runs on Windows.) I want high pixel density displays but I also want an OS that can properly deal with scaling.

I could see the schism in monitor types grownig and becoming more defined: One set of lower density displays for simpler uses (point of sale systems, simple office tasks, ...), budget oriented and similar to most of today's TN displays and another set of high pixel density, better colour rendering displays for things like design and image work.