1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches multi-core cashback programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

0 comments = 0 cares.

Looses I added a care. Nice idea though. Got to make it worth it somehow. Soz to bulldozer owners.

3. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

£20 back for an inferior CPU. Deal breaker. Not!

4. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

So they are paying me to buy their products?...
    Just wow...

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It's a promotion, Similar to HP's cashback offer on their Microserver.

Sam

6. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

"will be given £10"

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

amazing so the comments here are from trolls - who allways troll AMD threads....

looks like AMD are getting ready for a new launch - trinty and piledriver are due soon...

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Oh yeah, my waiting to buy a new CPU until today or tomorrow has earned me £10 :)

Neato :D

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Bit of a sweeping statement there. Have you read every post I've ever made? Wasn't long ago I was using amd. And until January had never personally owned an Intel product that wasn't a network card.

Fact is, it's a nice idea, but the cost of them doesn't add up in the first place. It's not all doom and gloom but there is no apparent need to upgrade from a phenom 2 and unlike most New releases, there are more compelling reasons to stay with phenom 2.

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol...AMD still peddling the lie that these FX chips are 'real' 4,6 & 8 core CPU's.

2,3 & 4 cores with hardware assisted Hyper Threading is the more accurate reality.

11. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

True... When BD came out, everyone I know that likes AMD bought Phenom 2's or kept theirs... I just think that even with this incentive, these cpu's are too expensive for what they offer. They should have lower prices.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

That's not really right is it. What if AMD (or any company) came up with a radically different processor design that didn't use cores (as we understand them) at all? Would you say it had zero cores vs Intel's 4, or 6?

Better still...why don't AMD just say "three-core-with-hardware-assisted-hyperthreading" instead of "6-core" on their packaging and marketing materials? Very catchy, and I'm sure Joe Public will know what that means straight away....or...perhaps they'll do what most people do...look for the bigger number and buy that one.

You can hardly blame AMDs marketing department for calling a processor "6 core" when it's in direct competition with Intel's 6-core offerings and is, for their architecture, the closet equivalent expression.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The whole core thing really is whatever you feel like calling a core, there's no standards agency that'll come by to slap any wrists for AMD's naming convention.

Some things like the Steam Suvey don't even use the term core. Take a peek at the hardware section and you'll see that 45.15% of PCs supposedly have "4 CPUs". I can only imagine how many people have looked at things like that and gone around talking about their quad-CPU system.

14. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

I just bought an A8 K, the rebate means i got the 3870k for just £74, stunning value, im gonna another 2 case fans, and overclock the hell outta it, THANKS AMD

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if you already own an i7 or an phenom 2 an amd bd cpu is not an upgrade (but its not much an downgrade as well)

and need to sort out there bobcat cpus with oem laptop makers using them in full size laptops (15"+) as they are worse then an atom cpu under most cpu loads,

find it hard to recommend an amd laptop as most of them in the UK are the crap bobcat ones they mite have an one or two a8/a6 on show but the discounted i3/5 laptops are cheaper normaly even the dual core celeraon is just an i3 with bits chopped off (lower cache, no HT ) overall does not affect performance much

as to who when some one comes to me asking for good laptop just get laptop with power cable in the side (less likely to be broken off) i3 or i5 as long as its below £400 (sure Intel is doing something with oem to be constantly offering £100-200 off laptops prices )

i can't recommend an amd laptop as i have to explain to much tech jargon to avoid buying an laptop that is 10x slower then there last laptop they had before , bit-tech wish you would pass this onto amd

sorry if it seems an rant but amd need to sort out there oem laptop makers and stop them from using netbook cpu in an big laptop (its what Intel does, they do not allow atom in an laptop bigger then 11-12"i think)

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

for everyone whining about the whole core thing, i personally just say threads. sure, that's also technically wrong, but its easier to justify.

also, amd's processors are physically the same amount of cores they claim they are. their 8 core cpu does actually have 8 cores, but each pair is tied together.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

no cash back for US and for duel cores? damn, I have a 4600+ that I'd send in since the mobo is shot.

18. demonisch

demonisch What's a Dremel?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is cash back? If you buy their product they will give you £20? Why not just sell it £20 less? I don't understand what is special about cash back (again, sorry for my ignorance if I have the wrong end of the stick).

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's more common in the US, but is growing in the UK too - it used to be a popular trick for mobile phone sellers, but I think there was a crackdown a while back. The biggest cashback offer in tech at the moment is on HP's Microserver: buy the server for about £250, send your receipt and claim form to HP, and get a cheque for £100 back.

The AMD deal is the same: buy a qualifying CPU, send the receipt and claim form to AMD, receive a cheque (actually, a BACS payment) for up to £20.

Why not just reduce the prices by £20? There are a couple of reasons. The first - and least important - reason is that a blanket drop in RRP requires the cooperation of all your retail partners, some of whom may not be making £20 profit on the chip in the first place. That leaves you - and 'you' here means 'AMD' - with a bunch of ticked-off retail partners who need mollifying, and who may decide to make their next AMD order smaller just in case you pull the same trick again: nobody wants to buy 100,000 units based on an RRP of £100 if you're going to knock it down to £80 a couple of weeks later.

The second - and most important - reason for running a cashback scheme rather than just dropping the price: it's cheaper. You knock £20 off the RRP, and assuming all your retail partners obey, every single chip you sell nets you £20 less. Use a voucher-based cashback scheme, and suddenly your profits increase. Why? Because X% of buyers don't know about the scheme; another X% bought a chip thinking it was included in the offer but it wasn't; another X% lose their receipt before claiming; another X% forget to send in the claim form before the deadline; another X% didn't buy their chip from a 'qualifying eTailer.' The result: a substantial percentage of sales which occur at full retail price, while the company still benefits from increased volumes as a result of the offer.

Yes, it's sneaky.

20. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

So, does anyone know where the list of 'authorized etailers' is?

Tags: Add Tags