1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New build gaming problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dean R, 24 Jun 2012.

1. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Just upgraded my old spec with a new i5 3570k (ivy bridge), msi z77a-g43 motherboard, 8gb corsair xms3 ram, asus xonar dg sound card and crucial m4 128gb SSD drive.

I've got it up and running and windows is running fine, ive installed my antivirus and updated windows and all my drivers and its a lot faster than my core 2 duo.

Anyway, I've installed steam on my SSD and Saints Row 3 and I'm carrying on the save game I had previous to the upgrade (still using my XFX Radeon HD 5700 1GB). However now I'm having lots of problems in game and I don't know what is causing it.

Entering a new area I seem to freeze, then my car disappears and after a delay reappears again at a complete halt, and my pause menu sometimes takes ages to pop up. However preceding both of these I seem to have a lag in the sound, and the sound is cutting in and out on the cutscenes. So I think it may be a sound issue, although I've updated it.

When I was installing the sound card I could press it into the PCI slot easily, however when I went to put the screw in to tighten it to the case the far side would pop out for some reason. But I checked to make sure it was fully inserted before I closed my case up (Antec twelve hundred btw).

I know I've had random lag issues before due to an underpowered PSU on my first ever build 8/9 years ago using a generic PSU however I have an Antec Truepower 650W PSU in this one which should be more than adequate.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this?

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Try pulling your sound card and using onboard sound for starters since you mentioned the issue when installing it and see how that goes.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Which 5700 card are you using exactly?

Don't suppose still you have the 8800GT to see if it's a driver issue?

Your PSU should be more than adequate, on my system it barely pulls half load, around 320w on a demanding game like Crysis 2 (from the PSU, the wall reading is around 380w)

4. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

I'll try this soon and see if it is the problem. Also I think I fully disabled the onboard sound to use this xonar one, unless I have done it wrong.

5. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Sorry its a 5770 i think? I upgraded from my 8800gt to the ATI card about a year ago, and last week I upgraded my CPU coz it was still a Core 2 Duo and I've been a poor uni student. ;) I do still have the 8800gt somewhere but I doubt its that coz I've been using the card for a year no problems. Forgot to mention that sorry. Need to update my sig.

6. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Since a couple of windows updates I don't seem to be having any problems. May have just been a compatibility issue but thanks for your replies. Game tested it for a couple of days and I've had no lag whatsoever.

On another note I love my new CPU!