1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless Headset Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm used to a full 5.1 setup but whilst I'm staying at a m8's I'm using (quality) earphones, been experimenting with Cmss3D on my Xtreme Gamer whilst playing Arkham City and Max Payne 3 but I don't really get any positional sounds. The helicopter test works ok in the cpl, but in game i think it sounds better with it turned off

Would have thought that with Cmss3d, it would fool the game into thinking there were more speakers than just 2, then translate those audio streams into a pseudo stereo surround mix, but the only options I get in Max Payne is headphones or speakers.

I don't understand how stereo surround technology can accurately interoperate where sounds are coming from and accurately represent them from a stereo mix. Am I doing it wrong?

The problem here is that Figures don't translate in to audio experience. A lot of it is down to personal preference, but as an extreme example, a £5 set of earbuds that advertise a 20hz-20KHz frequency range won't be able to reproduce those frequencies as accurately or with anything like as much definition as a set of £150 earbuds that might have the same range printed on the box.

There are so many subjective factors figures would be meaningless.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yes those are the wrong figures to look at, Mr. obvious!
    How about signal to noise ratio?

Or comparing to other headsets at the very least in relation to other ones that have been "reviewed" here. Like:
    Asus Vulcan ANC Review

Razer Carcharias Review

Sharkoon X-Tatic SX Review

Corsair HS1A Review

Corsair Vengeance 1300 Review

It should not be to hard to at least place it in relation to your own other reviews and link them. I know Audio is not your expertise on a PC review site, but this just seems, well, lazy to be honest.

Have a look here:
    http://gaming-headsets-review.toptenreviews.com/

Not audiophile, but at least they make a good attempt at comparing a range of headsets.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  3. Deders

Deders Modder

Signal to noise ration is only one aspect but it can be a helpful guideline. Still wouldn't judge any equipment purely on SNR which is why...

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I really hope you wouldn't start recommending "platinum" cables or any such nonsense for any digital signal cable, because they are a complete and utter scam (as is much of the "audiophile" world if you ask me, but let's not go there).

There's certainly an argument to be made for paying for quality, but you don't have to spend £500 (or even £50) on a digital cable.

5. MagR

MagR What's a Dremel?

I use an external usb headphone amp and dac from Fiio with Sennheiser HD 280's and it sounds good. No mic though as I don't play multiplayer games.

6. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Right I know this review is a bit old but I need to put my experience out there.
    I have just returned my third Vengeance 2000. All three broke in the same way after a few months.

The headband often cracks just above the cups as seen in this image.
    [​IMG]

The Corsair forums are filled of posts from people with the same issue. I will give credit where due. Corsair have been very good at accepting all returned headsets with this fault. If you post in their forum with your RMA number they will accept it asap.

I swapped my third broken headset with a Logitech G930 at my local retailer so I wont have to keep getting new V2000s every few months.

The audio quality of this headset is amazing. The build quality is shocking.

Tags: Add Tags