1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Are rubber anti-vibration screws effective?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jashaf, 22 Jun 2012.

1. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

I have seen the rubber anti vibration screws offered for sale in various places. Are these generally considered to be effective? Should they be used only on case fans? or should they be used on radiator fans as well?

Thanks,
    Jas

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  2. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Don't all chime in at once here :) No seriously, I have googled a bit for this but can't seem to get the correct search terms here. Are there any review sites that can quantify the general noise reduction difference?

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Having stripped out my system and put it back together using the same metal screws the idea of anti vibration rubber fittings seems a little pointless. My system is ran for 4-10 hours at a time dependant on the day of the week etc botters vibration. As long as your case is a solidly built you won't need the rubber screws. I have had some quite fierce fans running in my system too and when screwed into place yielded no vibrations that caused an issue.

4. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

Akasa supply rubber mounts with their Venom/Viper range of fans. I have 5 of them in my case and none of them are held in place with rubber mounts. The only difference I could see/hear was that they didnt hold the fan in place particularly well, they tended to let them sag a little. To be honest though if there are vibrations coming from the screw mounts then they would make a much greater noise than anything produced from the fan just running.

5. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys! I am somewhat surprised no one has a comprehensive study done on some thread of a before and after sort of thing. I guess it also depends on one's case as well...

In any case thanks for the replies! I'll forgo them for now on the case fans. What I would like to do is have some sound damping on my XSPC dual bay res / pump combo but these screws won't work. I will have to find some tapered thin neoprene padding or something but I haven't seen this on performance pc's or special tech or other sites...

Cheers,
    Jas

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I just bought that res today. I'm planning on using rubber hard drive washers to dampen any vibration the pumps cause.

7. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

I like the dimensions of the res and the fact that it fits into the case nicely for management... However...
    (1) it does vibrate. I can put my hand on it and "feel the vibrations" no pun intended...
    (2) The volume of water in the res is not that much. One of the cool things about water cooling is the fish tank appeal and having the water bubbling around, yet the water is only shown for maybe a tenth of the width of the res
    (3) It has proved hard to bleed. After a couple of days of usage I still here it gurgling a little bit even thought the res is fully topped up.

I would really really like a nice dual bay res that doesn't vibrate, looks good, and is easy to bleed. Unfortunately even though this isn't bad it's still far from perfect...

8. The_Crapman

From my very limited experience with watercooling, it can take quite a while to get all the air out of the loop. I found it helped to rock the case from side to side while on, seemed to dislodge any trapped bubbles.

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've found that the XSPC DDC Bay res is noisy regardless of contact with the chassis. Whatever that reservoir does to the impellor of the pump, it makes an otherwise quiet pump noisy as hell.

Even when running my DDC at 40% duty cycle via a PWM controller it still makes a bloody racket; and I completely regret buying the res.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Whilst Bit-tech is a great site and forum, we are all generally performance enthusiasts/modders/gamers. I'm sure someone at Silent PC Review or a similar site will have done some research into silencing watercooling setups.

My advice? Use some of that thin, rigid foam that they put in graphics card boxes - it's quite easy to chop around and poke into small places (also no pun intended). Seems to absorb vibrations nicely too.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I had an XSPC dual bay dual DDC res and couldn't hear the pumps at all. It was quite a surprise, considering the tight fit in the drive cage. They were 10w DDCs though, and I'd imagine 18w models would make quite a difference.

12. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Careful with anti-static foam and live electronics. a lot of grey/black foams are conductive, and can cause issues if pushing on a circuit board. Pink/red foams are generally non-static-generating, and not conductive, and safer.

13. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

I have already wedged some foam in there, but it's kind of less than ideal. Since the foam I have isn't tapered sliding the res in / out of the front to fill it / bleed it is a bit of a pain tbh. Somehow you would think that in making these res's that they could come up with a better mounting system which didn't transfer the vibrations to the case. Eg like the mounting system the HAF932 uses for it's hard drives. These have isolated rubber mounts...

Cheers,
    Jas

14. The_Crapman

*cough cough*

15. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

@The_Crapman :D Well...

On the actual drive trays for the HAF there are specific slots designed to hold specific pins which are rubber isolated. It needs to be built into the res in the first place. It's hard to do as an after market addition by the end user. I guess I could drill out the whole a bit and then try and mount a rubber isolator which has an embedded small metal cylinder which is tapped to take the screws but this requires a lot from the users . Moreover the sides of the bay res are actually fairly close to the full width of the 5.25" bay so if you are adding rubber washers they would have to be pretty thin.

I have seen the following rubber HD Mount Screws and these grommets at frozen PC. These can be fitted after market but building isolated mounts into the res before it ships is really what they should do. Especially since people commonly say that the bay reservoirs are noisier than internally mounted pumps.

So to provide pictures here is the mounting system which comes with my HAF932. They are a bit fiddly to mount but once I realized why they have these and that they are an extremely good anti-vibration mounting system I was very very glad to have them!
    Inside Mount [​IMG]
    Outside Mount [​IMG]

That is more the sort of thing that the res should have only it should have it in reverse so it can take a case screw with a rubber grommet being attached to it...

Cheers,
    Jas

16. The_Crapman

Ah i thought you mentioned the haf as an example, not that you had one.

i've used those those rubber HD mount screws in drive bays with a rather snug fit to the hdd and yes it is a bit of a pain getting the hdd in, but it works wonders! all you'd need to do is file out the normal screw hole slightly with a round metal file.

17. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

? Do you mean file out the holes on the SPC reservoir? If you do then unfortunately that won't work on the HAF's since the mounts above are only for the 3.5" and 2.5" trays. There are no trays or mounts for the 5.25" bays which is fine, except when it comes to situations like the XSPC res here :(

The pictures of the grommets above are the male couplings from the tray. XSPC would need to make a sort of female version of these and build them into the res. I have seen such things (like in the following where in this picture the mounts you screw the screws into are surrounded by rubber and thus sort of noise isolated. (But XSPC wouldn't have the stand offs like you see below, instead they would need to be embedded in the sides of the res)
    [​IMG]

I can photo shop something up if I haven't explained it clearly enough :)

Cheers,
    Jas

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  18. The_Crapman

Sorry I meant the holes in the hdd cage I'd done it in previously. I don't think dicking around with the screw holes in the res would be a good idea. Lol

19. The_Crapman

Got my res today and the screw threads already have some sound dampening rubber around them and an extra little bnit too:
    [​IMG]

does yours not have this?

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I find rubber mounts aren't needed for fans, There was a noticeable difference between my Hard-drives running inside anti-vibration mounting and outside, however. I think the only fans that really benefit from those kinds of mounting are things such as the Gentle Typhoon high-speed and similar. Otherwise; I don't see the use unless you're running lots and lots of fans and the combined harmonic vibrations could resonate the case.