1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Need some help with hardware selection for upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coffinator6, 30 Jun 2012.

1. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

Some of you might rememember my last thread about the carbon fiber case I had planned to make. Well I got myself in a little over my head with a major scratch build for my first mod. 

So I decided to start small and go from there. I mainly use the computer for surfing the web but I plan on getting into some 3d modeling soon. 

Current setup-

Case: cooler master elite 310

Power supply:apevia 500 watt

Mobo: Biostar A880G+

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t 2.8GHz

GPU: Radeon HD6870

Ram: G-skill 4gb DDR3

HDD: western degital caviar 250GB

water cooling: koolance CPU-350 water block, 120 rad, dual bay res with internal pump. 

planned setup-

Case: Corsair 600T with some custom paint(got to have it green from the new mustang) and mnpctech side window.

Power supply: Corsair 750 modular

Mobo: ?? need suggestions for a new one

CPU: reuse my AMD Phenom

GPU: reuse the hd 6870

Ram: use the existing G-skill and add 4GB for a total of 8GB

HDD: use existing 250 for the OS and a 640GB western degital caviar black for everything else

Water cooling:koolance cpu-350 block, danger den 6870 waterblock, XSPC dual bay res, d5 pump, 240 rad, tygon tubing, mayhem green pastel fluid.

I need some help picking a new MOBO, a rad that fits(thickness) in the top of the 600T, and fans. My current fans are just some cheap uv led 120mm fans. They won't fit into my new color scheme of green and black. 

Current rig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Color scheme of the case. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What do you want to do with the system? Overclocking or just quiet? What's your budget - can you fit in an SSD in there?

3. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Why upgrade the motherboard if you are using the same CPU? Seems like a bit of a waste as you dont gt any performance benefit from it. Unless your current one doesnt have enough I/O for your needs right now, or has no real OC tools to speak of you'd be far better off getting a new CPU/mobo at the same time.

4. coffinator6

Not looking to overclock. I'm not advanced enough to get into that. As for sound, the noise doesn't really bother me as long as it doesn't sound like a jet engine. I just mainly surf the internet but want to be able to do some 3D modeling in the future. Maybe run a small homemade cnc router if I can ever stop spending all my spare money on my ford mustang. I also want to be able to hook it up to my 55" tv and have a great picture while running sketchup. I'm also not a gamer, unless microsoft magically decided to release Halo 4 on pc. :D

As for the budget, I think $2k total. $600 of that has already been spent on the case, mnpctech side panel, and custom paint. I want to watercool the gpu just for shits and giggles. It would help "fill" out the case and make it look no so empty. Don't think it's necessary since I'm not demanding the gpu to really do anything but run a 22" monitor.

To be completely honest, I don't know. My buddy built this computer for me from some parts he had and the leftovers from my first computer we built. I do know my ide port connector is cracked. It was used to connect my older cd/dvd drive. I'll be updating my optical drive to a sata drive so that isn't a problem. It only has 2 ram slots and 1 PCI-e slot. That wouldn't leave any room to run dual video cards if the need arises down the road.

At this point I'm not set in stone on anything but the 6870 video card and the corsair case. If I do buy a new CPU/mobo, it must be AMD. Just personal preference.

What do you guys suggest? I'm open to a new cpu/mobo as long as it fits in the budget.

5. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

If you are continuing to use the same CPU it wouldn't make sense to opt for a dual gpu setup further down the line. The CPU will just end up bottlenecking the GPUs where you can spend the money on something else. I would recommend a small ssd that you can use as a boot drive. If you decide to use a few 3d modelling programmes you will notice the difference using them.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So you want 3D Modelling but not gaming - OK so you want CPU weight. Your 6 core Phenom should have some legs in it if you put it in a good board: you could get 3.5-4GHz out of it with some voltage and wcing will help keep the heat right down.

Or, for $1400 you could opt for an Intel system like 3570k at 4.5GHz with Z77 board?

Naturally my recommendations to look at are the Crosshair V Formula and Maximus V series for OCing ;) The Maximus V Formula has a watercooling block built into the board VRMs and it'll be in stores from next week. Seek out Z77 reviews, but most 990FX reviews will be old by now.

Keep your 6870 but just buy a GPU core block to save cash?

Mixing memory will be OK for low frequency, but how much memory does 3D Modelling and Sketchup take? 8-16GB kits are pretty damn cheap now.

And for $1400 an SSD should be absolutely nailed to the TOP of your buy list.

7. coffinator6

now I'm all confused on what I actually need.

8. coffinator6

Just ordered my 600t and clear side panel from mnpctech on friday morning.

I'm just going to add a SSD(need recommendations) and watercool my GPU.

9. krussellusaf

krussellusaf What's a Dremel?

Have you heard of pcpartpicker.com? Its a great site to find new parts. Just start with your CPU then it will only show MOBO's that work with that CPU then it will only show you RAM that works with that MOBO and so on a so forth.

It will also show a rating system so that when you go to choose your SSD you will be able to see the best ranking ones.

And thanks for the comment :p

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK try this:

Planned setup

Case: Corsair 600T with some custom paint(got to have it green from the new mustang) and mnpctech side window.

Power supply: Corsair HX750

Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX, M5A99X EVO or CrossHair V Formula - all OC focused mobos.

CPU: AMD Phenom 1055T

GPU: HD 6870

Ram: What is your current 4GB memory kit exactly? Would be easier to OC with 2x4GB kit - fewer DIMMs, newer ICs. G.Skill Trident series (iirc) is specifically tested for AMD systems. Other companies might do the same.

HDD: Crucial M4 256GB SSD for OS drive. Buy whatever HDD you want for storage.

Water cooling:koolance cpu-350 block, danger den 6870 waterblock, XSPC dual bay res, d5 pump, 240 rad, tygon tubing, mayhem green pastel fluid.

11. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I use an ASROCK deluxe4 which is a great board. Really had no trouble OC'ing to 40ghz on a 965BE. I believe the Extreme4 is still available. Any ASROCK board in 990fx is a good board. Cheaper than Asus or Gigabyte and I have owned them all (and they have all been good sans one Gigabyte board). Just my two cents. By the way, the Xtra Fast USB works as well as the Ethernet Fast. Pretty happy with this brand the most out all of the board I have owned.

12. coffinator6

I hadn't until someone posted it in my other thread. I'll have another look at it in a minute.

no problem. :thumb:

In there is a reason you keep suggesting an OC based board? I said in one of my first posts that I have no intention of ever overclocking. Just wondering if the OC board has strengths in other areas that would help me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out. I had a Asus P5 in my first computer and had no problems with it. Nothing wrong with saving some money on a component and spending it in other areas as needed.

On another note. I have been thinking about painting the inside of my case to help with some "flash." Thinking the Cadillac CTS-V black diamond paint would be awesome against the white LEDs.

this is the color.

[​IMG]

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because you're watercooling, you have an unlocked CPU and you'll only be running at 2.8GHz otherwise: seemed logical you'd want to OC a bit for more legs. Not sure why you'd watercool otherwise from a technical point of view as heat and noise should never be an issue.

Go for something like the M5A97 Pro then: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_PRO/ or if you don't care about 90 degree SATA ports then the M5A97 (non Pro).

14. coffinator6

Ahh. If I knew how to oc and was confident I could not screw it up, I would. The watercooling was suggested by a buddy because my old computer would heat up my whole apartment(small) in the matter of an hour by just surfing the net.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The room heats up because of the heat-generating components: mostly CPU and graphics. Watercooling won't stop your room from heating up, it's just a more efficient method of moving heat from the point of origin to outside of the case. If you want less power use and less heat is to use lower power hardware.

Since you're not gaming, you could drop the graphics card altogether. Look at AMD FM1 (and FM2 in August) APUs and motherboards that combine CPU+GPU together, or, an Intel K series which has better integrated graphics. Both these would probably be sufficient for introductory 3D Modelling since you're not super serious/it's not your career. CPU+GPU together would mean your entire system would only be about 150W. In comparison, the 6870 alone in your PC is 150W.

16. coffinator6

Got the case in yesterday. Already have it stripped and ready for body work.

My dog wanted to help. Of course he had to sit right in the piles of wires.

[​IMG]

Bad seams at the front to top joints.

[​IMG]

All ready for sanding.

[​IMG]

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just to help you get the right colour, that green is called... and I kid you not.... "Gotta have it green". Seriously, Ford... come on! Grabber Green was bad enough, but "Gotta have it"?

Also.. why Win7 Ultimate? You do realise it's a waste of cash right? Unless you need Bitlocker and a few animated screensavers.

I#d ditch the Phenom, and get the fastest CPU you can get. 3D modelling and rendering is very CPU intensive. I'd get a Intel Ivy Bridge i7 and as much RAM as possible.

Get a SSD for your boot drive too.

I hear you about the Mustang taking all your cash though! Same here :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. coffinator6

The paint was bought before I even bought my case. Having owned 9 mustangs, I keep up. :thumb: I had plans to do a satin grabber blue but decided to do something shiny.

Thanks for the help with the hardware. I'm going to keep it like it is and clean up the watercooling. Then if I get heavy into the 3D modeling, I'll build a new rig. You are right about the Win 7 untimate. I didn't know it wasn't a major improvement over hope premium until the other day. I might just stick with a clean install of Vista for now. I like it and it works for what I have.

19. coffinator6

Got the mnpctech clear side case in today.

[​IMG]

20. RebootTech

RebootTech Budget? What Budget?

You don't need ultimate, but home premium 7 is light years ahead of any Vista.