1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Why you should avoid "closed loop" water cooling.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 4 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Sorry if I sound annoyed Pete. I just don't dig being called selfish, ignorant and an idiot. You know? it's kind of annoying. And I'm not referring to you with that of course.

I contacted the company who sold it to me the day I found it to be leaking. Their response was less than satisfactory so I decided to see if Coolit would solve the problem. They simply said to give it a wipe with some paper towels. Which clearly hasn't worked really. So I've actually done what they asked me to do and it hasn't worked. Next step was emailing them and asking them if they want to fix this quickly or, please provide me with your contact details and I will file a claim.

Home insurance may well pay out, but sadly the first £300 isn't covered. Then it would raise the premium.

As much as it sucks the problem lies with the company who sold it to me. And it's not like I have been in any way nasty to them. I was perfectly pleasant to Coolit, please read the email I sent to them and that was only last night when I was finally beginning to lose my patience. 8 days of answering stupid and annoying questions would test any one.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

So you assumed that bubbling noises, indicating there was an issue and figured that since you couldn't see what, at that point, could have simply been a microscopic slow-leak, you simply assumed it would all be okay? Surely that's like feeling loose grip on tyres, then running to a wall and suing the company that sold the tyres because you didn't check them thoroughly.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Indeed. I would imagine that any claim for consequential loss is going to want to know why after suspecting the item was faulty it was left in place and continued to be used. Especially when the item in question happens to be full of water and in close proximity to electrical equipment.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

1. Receive obviously defective product which can cause a big mess if it fails.
    2. Contact company and receive no response.
    3. Use product anyway.
    4. Product fails and causes a big mess.
    5. Contact company again, they tell you exactly what you should do to clean up the mess.
    6. You refuse to do anything, and claim that it's their fault that you decided to use the defective product.

Do I have the events in the right order?

What did you hope to achieve by posting this here?

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  5. .//TuNdRa

I'm not, by any extension, trying to claim that you're an idiot, AlienwareAndy, i'm simply saying that, in this situation, I don't believe there's a way for you to get replacements or refunds without either having to spend a fortune on court costs arguing your point, or hope the retailer gives up and just gives you the money to save the issue.

There's no law specifically covering these issues, sale of goods act might seem to protect you, but if it was a prebuilt-machine: I could highly understand, but in a custom, user built system; I think the fault lies with the person who built it. Namely; You. Sucks, but it's true. I'm sure almost all of us have been in a situation where it's not been, directly, our fault, but we've still had to put up with the results of the issues, be they finanical or otherwise.

I apologize if It has seemed like i've been patronizing or insulting you.

6. AlienwareAndy

At no point did I suspect it to be leaking, no.

That's it I'm afraid. I'd heard the noise before and at no point with three other coolers making that noise were they leaking. In fact, it even states in the manual that it may make noises like that as it settles in and works out any bubbles causing in shipping or transit.

But then let's face it eh? what kind of asshole would I be to be spending my entire day worrying about my computer when my uncle was dying/died of cancer?

But I have to say I'm impressed by the amount of narcissists here who would have done things differently.

I've said repeatedly that I checked it before and saw nothing wrong. I wouldn't have done, it was running between the GPU back plate and PCB, down the PCIE slots and into a completely covered area of the PC.

Which just brings us back again to the sole reason I bought this cooler - no hassles no continually pissing around with it aggro. So no, I didn't suspect at any point that it was leaking because obviously I would have removed it immediately, dying uncle or not.

And I think you will find (as much as it's annoying as I am aware of how much the enthusiasts hate coolers like these) that the reason on a good few sealed liquid cooler's minds would be the same - IE it's supposed to just work without any maintenance.

7. AlienwareAndy

If one person who was considering buying a Coollt product and did their research and found this, and then found out what the situation would be should it ever leak then this thread will have served its purpose.

It's a bit late for me now. Maybe I should have looked into it more and not been so naive? I've already said that I was indeed very naive to actually believe that these things never leaked.

I trusted in Coolit and I have been failed. That's undeniable. However, I would HATE to see some one end up in the same expensive situation I am in now.

Like me or not? like what has happened? blame it on me? do what you like. Heck, balance a cabbage on your head if you want. But there's absolutely no doubt that at the end of the day it has served a purpose. Every one now knows what to expect from a Coolit product - IE nothing.

8. docodine

Your uncle has nothing to do with the cooler leak.

Also, if you wanted no hassles and you're not overclocking why did you buy a water cooler?

I haven't seen anyone in the thread defend CoolIT as a brand FWIW, there's no real lesson to teach here. :lol:

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Look dude.

I can see you're pulling out the big guns to try and win this argument, but who are you trying to prove this to?

Surely all you're doing is providing the lawyers for the small claims with tons of literature to read through and see if you've broken the warrenty at any point?

I can see that you're upset, and I can see why when you've lost your 480 and all the rest of it but arguing with us won't fix that.

Good luck with finding a solution, but please stop this needless argument.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

My first reaction was

Stock speeds, why bother with watercooling.

That said it is a eye opener that they fail, I run a khuler on another rig.

11. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Not so sure about that. The TRUE has no claim to work at various g-forces while being transported in a car. And putting your fingers in the blade is the same. But this is not even fit for purpose, it wasn't being transported and he wasn't doing anything silly with it. It was just sitting in his PC doing the job it was supposed to do, and it messed up and took his PC with it.

I dont get why, especially on a forum like this, people are so quick to defend what is obviously a shitty cheap company who have ****ed up one of our own.

Why? I have been using a PC for 30 years and never lost anything that didn't just die alone from old age.
    But how do you know? Are you a lawyer or do you have a lot of experience of past cases? That's all I'm saying. Never say never. These days you can claim compensation for being a fat clumsy ass and slipping on someones floor. I would be very surprised if you couldn't get something out of an obviously faulty product.

Bollocks, you are just a troll.

Please come back when you can think of more bitchy ways to insinuate the faulty product is his own fault.

ftfy

Last edited: 5 Jul 2012
  12. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

My PSU is on fire, so I sent the manufacturer an email but they have yet to respond.
    Hopefully they will drop me a line and tell me what to do, but in the meanwhile time for some BF3.

13. AlienwareAndy

Only my PSU wasn't on fire, plum.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Haven't had time to read through the entire thread, but what happened to the OP is why I'm not even considering water cooling of any kind. I also go out of my way to buy an air cooler, which isn't too heavy, since there's always the risk it might get dislodged and drop onto the graphics card (and possibly other components).

That being said I got the feeling from the initial pages that there's a certain hostility and arrogance toward the OP, basically accusing him of being responsible for the damage and that he should have known better. Is that really necessary?

Also, soaking electronic components in water? Wouldn't that cause even more damage? Rust, for instance?

15. docodine

ftfy

16. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

:lol:

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

DISTILLED water is fine assuming you let it dry.

Yes.OP deserves all the abuse and aggro he's getting from us as he's a complete idiot who can't take.reaponsibility for his own inept uselessness.

18. .//TuNdRa

Not sure if serious...

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Calm down, it's just computer hardware. Horses for courses etc.

Now take three deep breaths. Go on. One... Two... Three... Now say: "I am a leaf on the wind. I am a serene breeze over a sunlit meadow. I am a placid lake glittering in the sun. I am at peace.

There, better? Good.

G0UDG likes this.
  20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Aww Nexxo I thought you were gonna lock this! It needs euthanasia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.