1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Quazzi

Quazzi What's a Dremel?

really behind this one... looking forward to seeing it all come together! Congrats on the MOTM nomination!

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Anything that sticks really :D but not crazy strong stuff you won't be able to remove, :D prit stick works pretty good but you can easily use them up fast so works out expensive, spray adhesives I tried but only 1 brand meant for scrap booking so was pretty weak they kept flapping the template about but mostly on high cramped up detail stuff, on basic parts it did the job OK.

See your handling the scroll saw nicely :D they are an awesome home modding tool. :rock:

This is catching a vote from me too. :D

3. SaltyNuttz

SaltyNuttz What's a Dremel?

I registered here to say that this build is epic!

That is all. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I can't beleive that I have not yet commented on this, I saw it in it's early stages but then well, I must have forgotten about it :doh:

Very impressive skills and ideas you have there :) desk builds are awesome and there can never be too many!
    It is nice to see another modder from SA. (BTW where in SA are you located? :p)

I really like the curvy design and the logo for the radiators and the general construction and execution is top notch. I will be keeping an eye on this :thumb:

5. SaltyNuttz

SaltyNuttz What's a Dremel?

Hello. I just registered here so I can say that this is the most epic build evaR!

That is all. Thank you!

6. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks bud and welcome back!! the supplies can often be mustered up somewhere.. and the skills.. well you never know till you try :thumb::D

Thanks Waynio, very much appreciated! Was very surprised by the nomination :blush::rock:

Thanks Sarakon :thumb: Im in Jozzi (Sandton)

Also would like to say thanks to bit-tech for considering me for the MOTM :thumb::rock: and to all those who vote (for anybody and everybody) y'all :rock: best of luck to all!! Just glad i was nominated :D

7. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I should be able to find them somewhere, although too bad I don't have any access to mills or laser cutting anywhere around here, much less water jets. Well, we can all dream, can't we? :p

My parents won't ever let me handle power tools. :sigh: At best maybe a heat gun or high powered hairdryer for sleeving so I can shrink the heatshrink if I don't decide to do shrink-less sleeving.

8. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Congrats on the nomination!
    Also voted for you :)

9. Squigly

Thanks Quazzi, and thanks for the vote :rock: will be doing an update shortly

Kind words thanks Salty, truly appreciated, hope you stick around to see all the other amazing builds around here.

dude you :rock: thanks so much, hows that WB coming along??? neeeeeeds some uuuupppddaaattteess!!

10. Squigly

Update for 7th July

Another Saturday so more time in the workshop :rock::rock: Was really eager to get stuck in today and was hoping to get more done (as always) but alas.. father time was against me.. just never enough hours in a day :rolleyes:

But still managed to get some good progress in, again I am sorry they crappy phone pics but once the main build is complete I will take a real camera into the workshop and get some decent shots..

kicked off the morning by getting the back plate mounted, really been looking forward to getting these on!!
    [​IMG]
    As you can see its still missing the central sections and also still needs all the edges to be cleaned up properly.

I did however clean off the bottom of the feet, more so I could roll this thing over to get to the front plate.. lifting this thing is starting to get really difficult :D
    [​IMG]

Got the front plate mounted and also cleaned off the bottom of the legs
    [​IMG]

While grinding the plate down I could feel that my spine was starting to write a resignation letter with a really sharp pencil so decided to give it a break and work on the I/O plate I had cut out.. As I was putting it into the press brake I realised I probably should have bent it first before cutting the sections out.. it gave very little area for some of the bends.. And of course.. as I expected it shifted in the press break..
    [​IMG]

So now it lives with the rest of its scrap friends...
    [​IMG]

After I stop swearing at myself for not having realised that there wouldn't be enough material to bend sooner so got some work done on the support base for the screen mounts, milled the bottom out to sit between two of the support struts and then turned out the center this is where a 76mm pipe will be seated for the screens to mount to.
    [​IMG]

Then gave the outside a bit more of a decent profile
    [​IMG]

Tested fitment, still needed to turn a slot for the plates to fit into
    [​IMG]

Looking good so far.. so before anying else went wrong I quickly got the slot cut in
    [​IMG]

Im thinking of getting this piece anodized blue to fit with my colour scheme.. really happy with the way it turned out..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

did a bit more cleanup of the edges and also marked out the area to cut for the plexiglass (no not the black marker.. it marked on the inside properly :hehe:
    [​IMG]

So this is it for the moment..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt get a chance to work on the new mobo tray or even cut out the old one.. and now i will also have to re-do the I/O plate :wallbash: but will need to get that bent BEFORE getting it onto the scroll saw :lol:

I am also playing with some ideas of using plexiglas for the center of the front of the case.. as apposed to closing that off with aluminium.. I will do some quick renders and update..

UPDATE
    So here is the original idea with the aluminium center..
    [​IMG]

And this is then with the plexi.. i may change the layout slightly if i go with the plexi..
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?? aluminium or plexi center??

That's all for this week, thanks again for checkin in

Last edited: 7 Jul 2012
  11. HybridCore

Hooooly crap. I wish I could make my own monitor stands/supports. I wanted to go multi-monitor without bezels/the thinnest bezel possible. You make me so jealous. Take that as a compliment. :)

12. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Really gorgeous!
    Would love to see glass/plexi center for a change :)

No idea if it's in your plans or if it's even possible ... the screenmount, if you would cut a piece out on the back it will make it much easier to change cables or remove it.
    Just attach it to one side and let it rest on the other.

[​IMG]

13. Quazzi

Quazzi What's a Dremel?

For the plexi centre... What about a design cut out, something with a glow or is it too flashy?:eeek:

14. Squigly

Thanks bud!! im leaning more an more towards the plexi :thumb:

For the monitor stand, I took a look at yours but the thing is I need the strength to mount 3x23" screens onto the tube, so i cant just mount it to one of the plates, it would just buckle. You cant really see in the pics but the hole goes right through the aluminium base, the 76mm tube will slide into that and the screens will mount onto it but allow me to run the cables through the tube into the case all hidden like :rock:

I did a quick sketchup to kind of show you, the aluminium at the bottom will be mounted into the frame for support, i have hidden certain parts of the desk so you can see how it fits together. But appreciate the suggestion mate :rock::thumb::rock:
    [​IMG]

15. HybridCore

Any idea what you're going to be using to hold up the other 2 monitors that looks sleek? Unfortunately, monitors can't float (screw gravity).

16. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Ahh that indeed seems like a very clean solution, keep it up man! :thumb:

17. HybridCore

18. Squigly

Yup, its a special hinge system for multi monitors, the two outside screens attach to the center screen with these :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Thanks bud, appreciate the support :rock:

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

And there's one of the neat things that can be done with lathes again :D some things simply need a lathe but for the few things I'd use one for I can't justify the cost of 1, not yet anyway. :D

Awesome piece made there. :)

Unlucky on the first pci/io back piece, I never did get around to perfecting the bending method for a 1mm panel version, made some smaller bending fingers for the different sections of bend though, before perfecting that I started using 5 layers instead to make a solid one after seeing a billet 1 piece one on a project called Limey & fell in love with the idea which translates to multiple layers brilliantly. :D

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

mmmmm, lathed....*droooool*
    Plexi centre looks great too. Maybe overlaid with some alu with the same/similar designs to the leg?