1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 8 Jul 2012.

1. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Been eyeing up the Potalion 27Q.

Bit unsure about the dual DVI, do I need an adaptor on my GPU for that? If so does that mean my GPU is not good enough for it?

I use a GTX 560Ti which I know is not made for a high res, but that may get upgraded in the future, for now will it work with the monitor?

2. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

I've been hearing issues about the stand. It's not the only one with a rather flimsy stand, a few do (I think the Achieva Shimian and PCBank 3View PB2700...I don't remember, but I think the Achieva Shimian is one). Some of the monitors have holes for a VESA (100mm x 100mm) and some don't. The ones that don't you have to take apart.

The 560Ti should have at least 1 DVI-D Dual Link connection. It should look like the 4th one in this picture labelled DVI-D (Dual Link).

[​IMG]

It should. It seems powerful enough.

*sigh* Sometimes I wish DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort would just take over the market (HDMI can stay for lower res devices as they're already extremely popular) as the connector is smaller than DVI-D and can also be used to transfer data (Thunderbolt is nothing more than a cable with mini displayport connectors that can easily transfer data quickly with a peak of 10GB/s in bursts).

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I have the 2412m and I'm very happy with it. As has already been said, I would not pay the extra £100 for the 2410 unless you were heavily into photoshop.

Get the 2412 :thumb:

Also get a 16:10 ratio rather than the 23 inch 16:9 as the extra width definitely worth it. Oh errr !!!!

Last edited: 9 Jul 2012
  4. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Hmm. Which have sturdier stands? I was liking the P27 due to £225 for pixel perfect

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I cannot find any information or existence of a "Potalion P27" or "Potalion 27Q". Do you have any links?

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Check HybridCore's earlier post. Have to admit those monitors _do_ look tempting, but I wouldn't even have the room for one.

At least the Yamakasi Catleaps use a 27" LG.Display H-IPS (LM270WQ1) panel according to TFT Central. The other ones probably too. That's the same panel used in the 27" Apple Cinema Displays and almost the same as used in the Dell U2711, which uses the LM270WQ2. I'm still not quite convinced those are Grade A panels though. The price is simply too cheap.

7. GoodBytes

It's also not just the panel... the entire product including circuitry, power adapter (internal or external), and backlight used, might be total crap. Not to mention, possibly no OSD menu.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, they aren't the things I'm worried about, not the panel, but the other bits, although I'm ok with a meh stand.

9. HybridCore

Panel should be fine. They were rendered "unusable" by LG and thrown out, so that means they didn't apply an anti-glare coating. There is no OSD...I don't think there's any. That means you have to adjust settings through the computer itself. The only thing that can be adjusted on most of these is brightness.

Just check the OCN monitor section for reviews and pictures. The only thing you'll probably need is your standard 3 prong power connector (the ones you use for desktop power supplies and such) with the connector of your choice as the power brick uses one intended for Korea and some other Asian countries. You can also just use a plug type converter. Some monitors say 190v-240v (I think those where the numbers) on the supplied power brick so people were concerned about running it on 110v-120v. It works perfectly fine from what I've heard on 110v. Runs stable at stock and for the Catleap, overclocked.

@asteldian: The Catleap seems to have a rather sturdy stand. I've been hearing issues about some new design applied to the 27Q LED (not the LED-P model) where the stand is bent and sometimes when shipped, broken. The 27Q LED-P (P for pivot) model doesn't have this problem.

10. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Well I am still tempted, I am greedy and want a bigger screen (I already have a decent quality LG 22inch monitor which I have no intention of throwing away, so can indulge a bit with a giant screen as I still have a fallback one). I was originally going to get a 1900x1200 res monitor. Anyone had a go with one of these HannsG?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HannsG-HZ28...MDMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341907066&sr=8-1

Actually, I think 16:9 is the more popular choice for gaming so Acer/Asus or something would do best.

So, the quesiton is, is it worth getting a 27inch monitor that uses 1920 x 1080 or is it too big for the same pixel ratio as a 24 inch monitor? It's silly to ask, but as I have never had higher res, is a 2440 so much more amazing to play on? If so, enough to risk buying a dodgy Korean monitor? Also, will a monitor cord from a UK monitor work fine in the Korean monitors?

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  11. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I use three monitors. A 27" main lcd for games and imaging, a 17" lcd for itunes and system activity, and a 22" for my secondary apps or tools for pro apps. I have another 24"lcd, but I am having trouble getting it recognized by windows. I am trying to agree with having more than one monitor for work flow here. Its so annoying to minmize/maximize when you can just see everything open. I myself would go with 3x27" for work and eyefinity. That would run about 800 bucks US for an ASUS set up. Post a pic of your setup when its done.

12. HybridCore

Pixel density is waayyy too small. Things will look very blown up. If you're going to get 27", get 2560x1440.

13. GoodBytes

Yup,
    27inch at 1920x1080 will makes your screen much less sharp. The distance between the pixels are larger, and the size of each pixel are bigger. Text will be hard to read compare to 24inch. I cannot recommend going this path, unless you will be sitting far from it.

14. GeorgeStorm

Thought I should give some input since I have one of those screens.

Text is perfectly easy to read, yes things are slightly larger, but it's not as though it suddenly becomes impossible to use :p

Depends what you're going to use it for, if you're going to watch a lot of media (as I do) then it's a great choice I think, since the extra pixels won't give you any benefit.

15. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I have a 27" 1080P and everything looks great. Text is sharp and movies and games look great. I sit 26" from it. I would not go back to a 24".

16. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Hmm, then the question is, going 27inch, will less pixel density be more offputting when gaming or will a monitor with lots of backlight bleeding be worse? (i.e. Korean monitor)

17. HybridCore

Korean monitors only have a small amount of backlight bleed (usually). The resolution of the Korean monitors are astounding as well. If you aren't satisfied, look for a seller with a return policy. I would get a pixel perfect model if you're afraid of dead or stuck pixels.

18. GeorgeStorm

I'm now rather interested in this topic myself, since my Hanns.G's water damage has just gone mental, a huge area has gone all grey as stuck/dead pixels, making it basically unusual :(

Having to use my U2311H as my main monitor now, it's brutal going back to one when you're used to two :/

19. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Gone a different way, got offered a LG IPS235V for an excellent price so hopefully gunna get two of these :)

20. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

The one in the UK market area? Good call. Great price

Tags: