1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Mecha

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Samaya, 4 Feb 2011.

1. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Very cool design!

2. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Another panel made and fitted both

I finally had time to work on my mod again. I managed to finish the other half of the top side. And I also found a way to cut these thick sheets with a Jigsaw. Just add oil to the blade and keep it smooth.

So after all the rough cutting, I started filing the panel. This took very nearly forever
    [​IMG]

Action shot
    [​IMG]

I fit both panels and they it looked good. I made the gap 5mm wide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its starting to come together. I still have to finish and fit the side panels. And then still cut away all the excess on the panels. But sofar I am very happy with the top and bottom

Cheers,

S
    [​IMG]

3. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I think I need to change the name of this project - Mecha sounds to close to some religeous place in the middle east. And of course I have no idea what I want to call it... :duh:

4. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

no you dont, i love the japanese name :) i think the proper english translation would be humanoid robot/ transformer and that's not quite right i my mind, however mecha feels like good industrial design with some robotics (servos) :D

you can of course change it to whatever you wish, it's your mod :)

besides, don't they spell it mekka?

5. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Well I was thinking Mechanical Animal... After the Marilyn Manson Album

6. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Or MechoTech?

7. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I did some work this past weekend. I made 2 small brackets to fit the middle panels and also fitted the top and bottom sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I need to do the other side. I'm glad I will be painting this case. ALL those scratches, after I sand them out, will not be seen then.

Cheers,

8. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Finally an update...

This year has been hectic so far. So bad in fact that that this past weekend was the first time I had some real time to work on the case since october last year...

I did make a bending break.
    [​IMG]

First test
    [​IMG]

It might not look like much but making the brackets took about an 1 hours to make and there were 4 and some of them broke...:wallbash:
    [​IMG]

This is a test piece but it fit very nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also fitted the other side bars but...
    my last M3 tap broke off in the hole I was tapping and I had to remake a whole bracket to get past the problem...
    I'll take a picture some other day of that little problem.

At some later stage all the sanding and polishing will happen. I need to make all the parts first :rock:

Hope you had a great easter :D:D:D

9. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I made the front panels for this box today.

They still need to be fitted and will be done as soon as I have time to drive to the hardware shop to buy a new M3 tap...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tjay@TJ

tjay@TJ Minimodder

looking really good here. keep up the good work.

11. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I had 2 days to just mod... It was awesome. I worked a lot but only made a few pieces. Everything just takes long to make cause I am doing it mostly by hand. I do use the odd power tool but I am not CNC'ing or laser cutting anything. And sawing and filing really does take long...

Anyway this is finally starting to look like something...

The panel inserts. I made two of these and compared to the other things I made, freakin easy to do.:eyebrow::eyebrow::wallbash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then attempted to make the front cover of the box. In this piece of plexi there are 5 faces, all at different angles. It kind of worked but didn't look very nice and I messed it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then attempted to make one of the edge inserts but had as much difficulty but the size did make it slightly easier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am :D:D:D

12. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

Yeah, yeah, I like it. :) :thumb:

13. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I got this bit made finally. I first had to make a template and then made the part I wanted. Here is the template. I basically glued 3 pieces together in place and used it to make the proper piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed the button as well to see how it will look. I think I'm happy with it :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the guys commenting. I do appreciate it :rock::D

14. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Great design, love the lines the case has. And alu can be a pain to work, especially the thicker parts. I spend quite some time filing on my case, I can imagine your panels take even longer (how thick are the panels?)

15. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

There are 3 different thicknesses, 4.5mm, 1.6mm and 0.9mm. I've not done much too the finishing off yet. But you right, it is a pain to work with at least its easier than working with steel... :thumb:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Definitely & stainless steel is even worse. :waah::D

Nice to see this continue Samaya & good looking progress mate. :):dremel:

17. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Bloody hell this mod has some difficult parts...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

The angled diamond shaped sides are not working out perfectly. I have wasted nearly half a square meter of perspex/plexi on trying to make one piece... and I need 4 pieces:eeek::eeek::waah::duh:

[​IMG]

But I am a man with a plan. At least I have found a way to make one but in three separate pieces that I will glue and then model the single part from that.

Pics to follow (when I take them) :thumb: :dremel:

Last edited: 8 Jul 2012
  18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Reminds me of Stealthlow :hehe: hang in there mate you'll get it right, it might drive you near crazy town but you will get it eventually, I had a bleeper of a window to make & it took I think 14 times to get right & about 12 before I knew exactly what to do, wouldn't quit trying & succeeded eventually. :lol:

Suggestion :idea: instead of using your nice plexi, use cheap card so you can gauge it better for exactly what you need, bleeping geometry can be a bleepady beeping bleep to do correct though, I feel your pain. :D

What you said about filling the gaps with sticking acrylic sounds a good idea though since you got it that far for a template. :)

You learn so much though from challenging parts. :clap:

19. Ulti

Ulti Poor student

Oo, this looks really cool, can't wait to see the final result! Was thinking of Gundam when I saw the word mecha and although it's no Gundam, I'm not disappointed at all.

20. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I like Gundam too!!! And it was actually the inspiration for this. There will be some moving parts in this build. I reveal it when I get to it though :dremel: