1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 confirmed for October launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 10 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

With Windows To Go.... presumably if you turn on the computer with the usb already attached you get the choice? of booting into win7 or win8?

If the next time the usb isn't attached the computer boots win7, same as it always did, right?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. It's a Live USB, basically: plug it into any computer, and there's your copy of Windows 8 along with all your favourite applications, all your files, bookmarks, settings and so forth. Unplug it and the PC goes back to normal. It's for hot-desking: no matter where you and and what PC you're using, everything's where you expect it to be. Install any new apps or save any files, and they're stored on the USB drive - so they're accessible when you plug the drive into a different machine. Unlike cloud-based services, it also works fine when there's no internet connection available.

It's something Linux has been offering for years, and I was wondering when Microsoft would catch up.

4. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I'm more interested in this than vanilla Windows 8.

Having a relatively modern, polished live OS with Microsofts support behind it would be great for tech work. Would also be good for college/school/work network machines which in the past I've had to personally disinfect or revert users stupid changes before they were usable.

Currently stuck with live distros of *nix or Windows XP, which is OK but they tend to fall over with more esoteric hardware configurations

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Yawn. Snore. Slumber. Bleah.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

So with windows to go.... How would you prevent your staff from bringing in their windows 8 build and running it instead of your corporate windows 7?

Can you validate a usb before your in windows?

7. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Locked BIOS and remove USB stick from the boot order. Not foolproof, but enough to deter casual users.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You can monitor and block USB memory stick access from Windows, allowing only certain recognised and approved memory sticks. Most NHS computers have this nowadays.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

any idea of pricing as yet? and also any word of removing metro gui and adding a start button/pearl back?

10. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

<insert win8 hate messages here/>

It's Vista Mk 2

Windows to Go sounds interesting, how well it works with older/unusual hardware setups will be interesting

11. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

Windows 8 Enterprise is required to create a Windows To Go USB stick (see page 36 of this PDF) so unless people are running the Enterprise edition at home it shouldn't really be a problem.

It's a shame really as I think it would be a really useful feature.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Is Windows Phone 8 still due to launch at the same time?

13. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Windows to Go does sound interesting - I spent a whole lot of time messing with BartPE (and still do on occasion - I still think what he did was absolutely stunning.)

However...it's Win8. And I need Enterprise to build it? Screw it - if happen across a torrent of Win8 Ent at some point, I'll likely mess around with it, but there's no way in hell I'll buy it.

Hmm...maybe I can convince my boss it would be greatly helpful for supporting users - not like she'd know the difference one way or the other.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Windows to go sounds good, but I'm honestly far more interested in a real cloud OS that does everything and really really well.

15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

As a point of pedantry, could I kindly suggest that using the Windows 8 logo, not the 11 year old Windows XP one, may be more apt for Windows articles from now on :)

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You're lucky I didn't use the Windows NT one I've still got in my images folder... :p

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Well, if you're gonna do a job properly...

[​IMG]

18. Gareth Halfacree

Have you noticed how much more modern the logo looks (not the writing, mind...) than the current incarnation? The minimalist single-colour approach, the lack of symmetry, the rounded corners... I reckon Microsoft could do worse than bring the old logo back.

19. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm expecting Windows 7 to become the new XP. It's going to want to live forever ;)

20. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Windows to go sounds good but being stuck with that tile interface at every boot up has put me completely off so I'll wait and see what windows 9 has to offer... or take away !

Tags: Add Tags