1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 8 Jul 2012.

1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Just to throw in my 2 cents.

I had this dilemma myself when deciding to buy a new monitor. I went for the 2412m over the 2410 and I am very glad I did but of course that is for my situation. I watch films, play games, some light photoshop and the usual web browsing and word docs.

I think I had a hard time making a decision because I always feel "ah but this is better and I like better, and what if I regret my decision because the other has something I need, what if... etc etc."

The truth is the 2412m does all I need and I wouldn't have used the other features on the 2410 at all.

Also the size, weight and heat advantages of the 2412m helped sway me as I had to transport it to Brazil so lighter was better and here cooler is always better. The £100 difference also helped me decide.

So all I'm really saying is if you are not a serious photoshop user then get the 2412m, use the £100 for a samsung 830 and then come back and thank me later.

2. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

HybridCore - Do any of those Korean monitors come with Matte panels? Would really like one but they all look glossy to me.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yes, but only one of them - Davi D279SV-VGQ2 - and it is virtually a U2711 but with less inputs and no OSD (IIRC). It's also one of the more expensive of the Korean batch.

Use this site to see the differences.

http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/1...f-the-different-brands-and-models/#QH270-LITE

Jaybles likes this.
  4. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

They're all glossy. The screens on other products with this panel are only glossy because of the AG coating which is rather aggressive when done by LG and makes things grainy/blurry sometimes. I recommend against it. If you're afraid of glare, fingerprints, or dust, I believe companies sell anti-glare filters.

5. HybridCore

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Taking the plunge on a Shimian QH270L Friday I think. Been wanting to upgrade display for a very very long time and had kept putting it off.
    I'm aware of the cons but it is all things that are not terribly important to me. I have gotten use to no OSD efectively since my current displays is so bad it was unusable and stand that shakes like leaf in the wind.
    Glossy was also something I had been wanting and there wasn't really much options other than ACD before these. While I don't neccesarily mind AG too many are far too aggresive. A semi-matte would be the sweet spot maybe.

I have seen AG film for sale, and it's just like a big sticker more or less same as what they use at the factory. It might be tricky to apply yourself by hand though. I have heard the glue is very very strong so mistake is incredibly hard to fix.

7. HybridCore

Pictures and impressions please.

You should be able to adjust color settings somewhere on your computer. Color profiles work well. I know software like the X-Rite software that comes with some of their calibrators creates color profiles, as it can't possibly adjust the OSD in the monitor through software and just a video connection.

8. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yeah, pics and impressions s'il vous plait‎ :).

Just adjust the image at the graphics card level. I'm sure that will be fine.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

RIght, I adjust all color, brightness, saturation, etc with software as it was actually possible unlike with the awful monitor settings so I am quite used to it by now.
    Yes, I will let you all know what I think of it.

10. HybridCore

Using an OSD IMO is a PITA. Software can offer a lot more control too, so I don't see what's wrong with not having an OSD. Maybe it might be convenient to just hit a few buttons instead of dragging out a program but I think it's worth it for the control. The only thing that might be annoying is that you'll probably have to set up different color profiles for each monitor as they aren't going to be identical. One might have a small blue tint and the other an orange.

11. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Well, that monitor is nowhere to be found on the bay, so it looks like im back to the glossy alternatives.

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Well, you'd have to work out the risk/cost. If you can get a Korean glossy one, that's defect free, and manage the reflections ok, you could probably save £150.

Or alternatively you could get a refurbished U2711 from NRG:IT for about £430

13. HybridCore

If he's lucky he can score a BNIB for refurb price.

14. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Just wanted to update my thread, got the LG IPS235V a couple days ago and its awesome. Clarity and colour are my biggest shocks. Had read going from TN to IPS the colours may seem washed for a while but they are amazing. Another hopefully one day!

Tags: