1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks guys for the reply's, also nice bike there Fat tony :thumb:

So a naked streetbike is a better choice? Do they return good MPG and what would be a good sized engine, i dont fancy something i would quickly grow out of and i dont plan on going daft on it ( if you believe that)

Still very early days, got my theory booked for next week, this shortly followed by my MOD 1.

I have been qouted 4 hours lesson before MOD 1 and another 8 hours before MOD 2? not sure if this is good or bad :eyebrow:

2. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

As I was recommended here, the SV650 is a great entry bike into the sports tourer group. Still completely in love with mine and though its more in the sporty side and so less comfy on the long rides, it never fails to bring a massive grin! I get around 60-65 mpg at around 75 on the motorway. Seems pretty good to me.

The Ram

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks mate :thumb:

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Impressive MPG, its not restricted is it?

Mate of mine had a SV650 and generally managed about 140 miles from full to reserve (~12 litres burnt up) which works out at about 45MPG

My 675R managed about 40, and the 1198S manages about 25 :brrr:

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Full naked streetfighter break-down:

Big ~1000cc (fun) ones:

KTM 990 Superduke
    Aprilia Tuono 1000
    Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
    Various MV Brutales (990 & 1090)
    Triumph Speed Triple 1050
    Honda CB1000
    Kawasaki Z1000

Middleweight ~700cc (fun) ones:

Triumph Street Triple 675 R
    Ducati 848 Streetfighter
    MV Brutale 675

Middleweight budget-ish less-powerful less-fancy ones:

BMW F800R
    Suzuki SV650
    Yamaha XJ6N, XJ8(N?)
    Kawasaki ER6N
    Suzuki Gladius (new SV650, except they brought the SV650 back, its like a girls version of the SV650...)
    Suzuki GSR750 - what the gladius should have been
    (Older) Honda Hornets
    (Older) Suzuki bandits

Ones you should actually buy

Triumph Street Triple 675 (utterly sodding fantastic in every way imaginable, total gem of a bike, should probably be awarded bike of the millenium)
    Suzuki SV650 (awesome for new riders, virtually unbreakable, cheap, sound great)

If you're feeling brave the KTM 990 SD isn't a bad idea. Even if it's 1000cc, it only has about 10HP more than a Triumph 675. Cracking bikes, too.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2012
    Mr Happy likes this.
  6. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

My SV isn't restricted. Nothing in the service history to suggest otherwise and the dealer would have told me if it was. On my ride back up from Chichester I hit 168 I think before the reserve came on and stayed on and I work it out as 12 litres of fuel burnt for reserve. That works out at 63.8ish I think. Admittedly I hit a little traffic so was bumbling along at 50 in 6th gear for a while which helps fuel economy but generally I hit high 50's to mid 60's on long journeys. :D

All I know is that I can comfortably get from Chichester to Cherwell Valley Services on just over half a tank and from Cherwell to home in Lancaster (184 miles) on one tank with about 4 litres to spare, maybe a little less. She just seems to sip petrol! Love it! Contemplating trying the higher octane fuel just for one tank to see if it'd make a difference to my mpg. The new oil and filter I put on yesterday will no doubt help! Feels much nicer now, even the gear changes sneak up on me and are so smooth I can't tell if it's gone! :)

EDIT: I've only one warning about the buying the SV second/more hand, which is to give it a really good looking over. Take it out for a test ride, go over it with scrutineers eyes checking everything. So far mine has needed new tyres (though I got one free), new chain and sprockets and a new front brake light switch. I've added heated grips and an oil/filter change. Generally speaking, SV's are bomb proof, mine speaks for itself in that a previous owner definitely threw it down the road and aside from a scuff on the exhaust, crash bung and wing mirror it's mechanically sound. Still works perfectly. I'm slowly cleaning mine up and sorting it out so when I come to sell it on it'll hold it's value a bit better. It's a simple rule for me, tinker little and often and it'll never go wrong.

RTT, I would love a go on the Street/Speed Triple one day. I'm also interested in trying the SV1000 one day just to see what it's like.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2012
  7. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Booked my training for my restricted motorcycle test for next month ^^.

Time to look at bikes muahah :D

8. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

<Double post>

Last edited: 14 Jul 2012
  9. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

anyone done their licence recently that has any advice

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

10. RTT

RTT #parp

You'd know if it was restricted :)

Completely agree, bomb proof bikes. My mates had been down the road before and he himself threw it down the road 3 times ( :rolleyes: ) and it shrugged it off every time. Bolts are generally made of cheese though, had to drill a fair few out... including header studs :rolleyes: :D Maintenance is generally a doddle and spare parts are common place. We ended up doing almost everything to his - GSXR suspension, the lot.
    he then sold it for a Street Triple R

Do it, for ye shall not be disappointed. £5 says you come away wondering why anyone bothers with the Speed ;)

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

It's a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion, and it typically gets around 60MPG for me. It's currently restricted at the moment though which probably helps a bit. As much as having amazing fuel economy is great, the extra power is far better if you can afford the fuel (and insurance!).

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Your instructor will over-train you and only put you through to test if you can pass it. Relax and remember it's more about demonstrating that you're not an idiot than riding perfectly

13. bizzel

bizzel What's a Dremel?

Don't bother trying to keep track of any faults you might have picked up. There was a point in my mod 2 where I was sure I'd failed (got flashed to go at a T-junction and froze up) but in the end it was never even mentioned.

14. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

that might be a bit of a problem for me :p

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Oh for Mod 1 - be very wary of your back brake during the emergency stop. So easy to lock your rear tire and in reality it gives you almost no additional stopping. Rely on that front brake all the way!!!

16. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

just bought a honda varadero 125, 7000 miles, from my local dealer. picking it up next week after service.

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

If that's for your cbt... One lad I was with crashed into our instructor nearly knocking him off his bike, breaking his number plate and he still passed!!!

18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I can also recount a similar story, on my CBT (admittedly 20 years ago) one lad threw his bike down the road at about 25mph, and STILL passed.

19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Theory test and hazard perception today :worried:

20. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Good luck !

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012