1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Coldplay are rubbish, don't you agree?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 11 Jul 2012.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Tom Morello > Hendrix.

There. I said it.

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I'm a big fan of Morello but he's not a patch on overall on Hendrix IMO. Although not many write riffs as good as Morello does, including Hendrix!

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, dubstep is sort of cheat in music genres because even if it is considered as a new style, it is pretty much a substyle of electronic music. Many electronic styles we had before were more extreme (try listening to hardcore techno and then you will consider dubstep as light music) - it is just more common than the ones before.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Can't see what that is, stupid work!

Well the same could be said of all music really. I've listened to plenty of techno/hard techno/hardstyle/happy hardcore/gabba... They're hard but not in the same way modern dubstep is hard. I've never heard a style of music I considered so different to anything else I've ever heard than dubstep.

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Haha being 18 and liking a bit of all genres of music, I'm on the other end of this. If I say I like something thats older than I am, i'm suddenly trying to be hipster or w/e.

Edit Re what Zinf said about dubstep: I don't think some dubstep is to far removed from lots of other genres, but this maybe because of the fact that it is now being included in virtually everything. Also, dubstep often makes me draw similarities with Prog Rock. (Note: Not all dubstep makes me think this.)

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm 20, and I get the rip taken out for listening to metal etc and not liking dubstep. Its seemingly become that mainstream in my agegroup.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I do not care for Coldplay.

I do not care to expose myself to situations where I might encounter them, or any other "pop sensation" for that matter.

I do, apparently, take the time out of my day to state that I don't care for them. So now I'm wondering if they won anyway, because here we all are - Talking about them.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

FTFY :thumb:

Guest-23315 likes this.
  10. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

They are sooo not!

Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory are two of the best albums to come out of Britain in the past 25 years.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And again we are back to subjective. For example for me, both Oasis and Coldplay are totally irelevant. On other side Faithless, or Prodigy are in my eyes many, many levels above... But again, we are back to subjective. Hell, some people even liked Fast Food Song :D (just checked, no2 on UK singles chart).

12. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Yeah she has a lovely 'set of talents' but she isnt talented! :D

13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Oh I know it's subjective. Any talk about music is, up to a point.

The very fact you can sit and enjoy the sounds and noises that are produced by the group known as Prodigy demonstrates 100% that music taste is highly subjective! ;)

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I'm so glad to see that everyone is accepting the subjective nature of music in this thread. So often things like this turn into shitty flamewars but this is coming along nicely :thumb:

That said I'm not sure I would include dubstep/happy hardcore/jungle/whatever in any discussion about music because it's not music, it's just noise which took exactly zero musical talent or ability to make. Maybe I'm a bit stuffy and old fashioned but I don't anything should have the right to be called music unless it has had at least one real musical instrument played at some point during the track/album. Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely against to electronic music as a whole, some of my favourite albums are of an electronic basis (Portishead - Dummy for example, the best album as a single work of art ever produced in my opinion) but groups like Portishead, Massive Attack, Faithless(group? meh, whatever lol) etc. have a real feel in what they make. Everything I've ever heard from the afforementioned styles has just been complete tuneless shite.

Oasis? I absolutely hate them, passionately(probably because of Liam). I agree that they're one of the most overhyped and overrated bands ever to grace a studio......but........I can't deny that they made some good stuff, I just don't think it warrants the crusader like obsessive worship that big fans seem to give them. I put them on equal terms with the Stone Roses, another massively overrated band who only ever became big because they swore on BBC2.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I do not think that argument is valid. If it didn't require skill than anyone could do it and the simple fact is they can't. To me it's like comparing photography to photoshop, different skills with a similar end result.

16. Twellmann

Twellmann Carnivorous Homunculus

IMHO old school jungle =|= comparable to dubstep, in terms of skill :rock:

Oh, and regarding Coldplay... Meh... don't have any of their music, but I've seen them twice at Roskilde Festival and they make for good entertainment on a warm drunk summer night

17. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

He lives near me, see him being pulled along on his scooter by his pack of huskeys every now and then.

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Seconded. Reminded me of this.

I don't mind Coldplay's early stuff (hipster phrase, but it's true). They're extremely monotonous though, Paradise being the notable exception; I love that Coldplay fans all hate Paradise for being the 'sell-out song', and enjoy the song all the more for that.

19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

So many people are narrow minded when it comes to music, I would hate to be sad enough to only enjoy a couple of genres.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2012
  20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What I will say though is that there's good and bad music in every genre. I for one actually like some of the slower and more interesting dubstep pieces. There are some pretty awesome fast sets (hell Nero alone earns props from me). That aside, I still find some kinds of music so bad that it becomes good..