1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics Card Bang-for-Buck Comparison Charts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 27 Sep 2011.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

zin, these graphs are very street-wise and non-vexatious...thank you

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I hate you man. I was three quarters of the way through inputting all of my data :(

Also, to complete the set you really need to do value coefficient charts for each resolution now :)

edit - I'm going to finish inputting anyway, I just hate leaving a job half-finished and there's a part of me that secretly loves working with spreadsheets.

David likes this.
  3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Sorry man :(. It was 6am and I was incredibly bored. Like you, I also have a secret spreadsheet fetish. I miss ones with 50k rows of data :(. To be honest it's annoying me how little data there is to work with. I want 50,000 games on 10 different settings each and 15 resolutions and different CPUs and all sorts of stuff.

I'll stick out the resolution coef later.

4. boiled_elephant

I know what you mean. I'm considering using a 2/3:1/3 weighting of min. fps against avg. fps in mine, just to make it more interesting - and to attempt to synthesize our competing emphases, because I see your point about average FPS, but refuse to disregard min. FPS as unimportant. I think they both need to be taken into account.

No worries about hopping the idea, I'm glad someone else finds it interesting to be honest. This way I'm not just the forum's token spreadsheet nerd :)

edit - by the way, since I haven't gotten to checking yet, are bit-tech's FPS values for a given card always the same across their reviews? I'm just taking values for each card once so far, because I'd asumed that bit-tech just reuse their old readings in new reviews.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

So BF3, 560ti or 570?

6. boiled_elephant

We're kinda short of data on that one :p

edit - am I missing something or is the HD 6950 1GB consistently better than the HD 6950 2GB in every way? I don't get that.

edit - and here's a good example of where discounting average FPS would be oversimplistic: the GTX 590 3GB vs. the GTX 580 1.5GB at higher resolutions. The 590 clearly wins out, but is ranked way down below the GTX 470, HD 5850 and the like due to a lower min FPS. I think I'll have to use both min and avg.

(The GTX 590 is still the worst value for money thing ever created, though, for the record. £350 more for a 10% performance increase, whoo!)

Oh, I'm also disregarding temporary offers and deals in my price checks, because a ranking that's incorrect a week later when the offer expires isn't much use to anyone.

Also disregarding the KFA2 560 Ti 1GB, because it is nearly impossible to buy now (I guess they called it a limited edition for a reason.)

edit - data:

[​IMG]

I don't HTML or anything, so a jpeg is all I can muster. Graphs on the way when I'm less sleep-deprived \o/

Oh, prices are between Scan, Overclockers, Aria, Dabs, Ebuyer, Amazon and eBay. I found that it really pays to check them all.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2011
    Fingers66 likes this.
  7. boiled_elephant

There, picked the most useful graph in my lot and polished the original post up a bit to amalgamate everything.

I can modify it to reflect both min and avg FPS combined if anybody particularly wants - min FPS isn't a comprehensive representation of a card's overall quality.

Thanks for all the feedback, and thanks especially to Zinfandel for work, pointers and inspiration.

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Fantastic stuff both of you, excellent effort. +rep again!

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Stumbled across this from a link in your sig, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the effort that's gone into this! Just a few observations from one spreadsheet nerd to another though... :D

You don't necessarily need to use =round(x,y) all the time, just change the format of each cell to a number with no decimal places. It doesn't affect the graphs, they'll still use the rounded value, as opposed to the "real" value. Though that's largely an aesthetic choice - I just think it makes formulae look neater ;)

Plus if you ever wanted to include more games, you could make your life a lot easier when calculating the average FPS; instead of using =sum(cellrange)/4, try =sum(cellrange)/counta(cellrange) (e.g., =SUM(E5:H5)/COUNTA(E5:H5)). If you added more columns for more games, you wouldn't need to update your average calculations each time. Provided that you insert new rows/columns in the middle of a cell range specified in a formula (e.g. column G, "ARMA II"), then Excel automatically updates the cell range in the formula to account for the new columns. It wouldn't however work if you were to insert the new column/row at the end of the range; in this case, if you inserted a new column at column I then it wouldn't work because column I is outside the range specified in the formula.

PivotTables might also work really well for this... If I get the chance today, I'll have a look at using a PivotTable/PivotChart instead of three separate tables... EDIT: OK, either I don't know enough about PivotCharts, or this won't actually work that well as a PivotChart!

DoubleEdit:

I'd be interested in that :)

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

;)

Wow! Ive got a 6850! The best in terms of cash/performance!

Smart :D

Just a shame it's a right POS in BC2

11. boiled_elephant

@BLC, I must admit, my Excel skills are pretty rudimentary. I only use it once in a blue moon for things like this, so I understood roughly half of your advice, but thank you :) If I revisit this in a month or so (to update prices and post new graphs accordingly) I'll modify the formulae.

Busywork doesn't bother me much, though, I quite like brute force laborious approaches to tasks. C.f. my original preliminary effort at this, calculating, typing and aligning all the values by hand in MS-Paint :clap:

edit - in reciprocal form, I followed the link in your sig and read your excellent retrospective on FFVII which closely mirrored my own revisiting reactions to the game (playing through it at the moment), so have some rep.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Heh, Excel skills are pretty much a job requirement for some of the work I've been doing; you get to learn the tricks & shortcuts quite quickly when you're dealing with datasets containing over 10,000 rows... Much as people lambast MS products, you can get an awful lot done with Excel, especially when you consider that there's a complete programming language built in.

:eeek:

Someone actually read something that I wrote and liked it! Unheard of! ;)

Just before I sold my PSP I started playing FFVII again. Though to play it properly needs far more time than I can give it... I ended up playing around with the Debug Room instead :). Lots of fun stuff in there - warp to different points in the story, piss-easy battles that give you a pile of EXP/AP, instant money, etc - though it's very easy to get stuck or break the game.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just stumbled on this. Great idea, +rep to all graph makers. :thumb:

14. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

So glad I got the 550ti, such a good quality card for the price.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hey boiled, gonna update this? :D

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I can't believe how much effort I put into that.

What is wrong with me?

And BE.

Elton likes this.
  17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

So... What you are saying is, your going to do it again? :rock: