1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice on ~£800 pc component list

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Confused Fishcake, 14 Jul 2012.

1. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Hi, I'm looking to scratch build a decent pc for around £800 between now and christmas. I'm willing to wait a bit if it'd be better nearer christmas. These are the components I've picked out so far (from ebuyer):

HannsG HL249DPB LED LCD 23.6" DVI Monitor £107
    Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card £136
    2 x G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V £80
    OCZ 500W CoreXStream PSU £35
    Casecom 6788 All Black Case £30
    Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD - SATA-III 2.5" - Read 550MB/s Write 510MB/s 85K IOPS Fast Performance 3YR Warranty £80
    Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £256
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £78

So that's about £802 so far (ok for me). Now I haven't put cables/fans/mouse/keyboard, because I have most of those. I also don't want/need optical drives, and as for storage, I'll add a 2tb hard drive later when I have more money (my netbook has 650GB so thats ok for now.) I want this pc for:

3d rendering
    being able to play any game released in the next few years, even if its at low settings
    virtualising win8/ubuntu without feeling sluggish
    Compiling large c++ projects quickly
    DX11 programming

I'm coming from only having an eeepc netbook, so this should be a /bit/ of an improvement. My main questions are:

Is the GTX 560 going to last me a fair while? (it looked like the best value for money)
    Is the PSU beefy enough?
    Is there anything weird I should know with 16GB of ram? The motherboard says up to 24GB in the 4 slots, so I think I'm good.
    Can I save any more money on the case, or is that the least I can spend and have an acceptable one? (I don't mind 3d printing replacement bits if they break or anything)
    Is the SSD ok-looking (tbh, that's something I can research just before I buy)
    Is the i7 I picked worth the extra over a cheaper chip? I want hyperthreading, so I think that means I want an i7, and this one looked very nice.
    Is the motheboard ok for at least basic overclocking?

I would probably be looking to overclock in a few months when I can buy abetter cooling system, but the headroom to do so if I wanted would be nice.

2. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

You may be better getting a non overclocked graphics card to save you money, then you can overclock it yourself. Besides that it all looks fine

Just out of curiosity: where are you buying from?

3. Confused Fishcake

I was looking at ebuyer.com. As for the graphics card, it's only £5 cheaper for a gainward (haven't heard of them?) card that gets a lot hotter, so I was going for the OC one just for a better cooling system.

4. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

Is there not a card by the same company but not already OCed?

It might also be worth checking Scan.co.uk for your components

5. Confused Fishcake

Not on ebuyer, but i'll take a look at scan - the prices seem very similar but saving a few pounds would be nice. Thanks :)

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It looks pretty solid mate.

This screen is a tiny bit more expensive but it's worth it.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/284103-lg-ips235v-ips-lcd-led-23-hdmi-monitor-ips235v-bn-aek

Regarding the case, it's not a great case. Don't go any cheaper. Personally I would be spending a tad more. Maybe 45 pounds on one.
    Nothing worse than have a great pc but a cheap case. It's kind of like having an expensive suit but wearing reebok trainers with it.

what software are you using for rendering? Make sure it can utilize all the 8 threads on the chip.

7. Confused Fishcake

I went for that screen, does look nice, but kept the case - I'm already spending waaay more than I should, and I'll probably hack it to suit me or something. As for rendering, I'm going for blender,openscad,zbrush, a few others, only a couple actually do multithreading, but i'm going from an eeepc so it should be an improvement.

8. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

What sort of 3D printer do you have access to???

9. Confused Fishcake

I have a reprap prusa2, and a second one nearly complete :) Best thing I ever made, I can't recommend them enough.