1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Coldplay are rubbish, don't you agree?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 11 Jul 2012.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

For some reason that reminds me of...

I love these types of parody mashups.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hey! I like DMX(although not that song..)

Reminds me of Ludacris' Splash Waterfall. (No I'm not going to post up the link, I actually think it's too inappropriate).

And Nicki Minaj's proportions scare me.

3. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

:clap:

4. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

My opinion of them is the same as most (not all) popular music nowadays: makes me wish I was 42 or even 52 not 22 thusly I would have been around when music was art, not just a money making machine.

My generation largely sucks; we seemed to be doomed both culturally and artistically :(

5. Elton

Listen to some other kinds of music. ;) This generation actually has some really really good music. Just find it.

6. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

+1

We're blessed with unprecedented access to music. There are services that let you listen to any music you want for free, or buy it in the comfort of your living room. The choice on offer boggles the mind - in the old days, you were limited to what the radio or Melody Maker told you was good. Everything else was a risk - an expensive one at that. No 79p a track in them days!

Bloggers cover everything from mainstream hits to obscure musical trends. It's just a matter of finding someone to point you in the right direction. It's never been easier to listen to good music. Seek and ye shall find.

7. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

That's why I specifically said popular music, although I really should have worded it better.what I should have said was: there's plenty of talent but judging by the stuff that turns up in the charts, there's also a lack of appreciation for it and most people my age have no intention of discovering new music for themselves and instead will take whatever is shoved under their noses by Simon Cowell or similar.

Thank God for spotify and you tube.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Like what you like and take no notice of other peoples opinions.

Like the mere cats say... Simples.....

9. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

This, just enjoy what you want, dislike what you dont want, and let everyone else get on with it, although i really wish more people used headphones (not ibuds) that kept their own terrible music tastes to themselves on the tube....

Shirty likes this.
  10. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I saw her music video the other day, and was actually repulsed, does that sell music?

11. Elton

To be fair when have the charts been indicative of good music? For the few good artists on the charts you get tons more that are utterly horrible. The reason why we think the past has better music is simply because all the not so good musicians have faded into obscurity.

I mean anyone actually remember NSYNC or Jessica Simpson? Nope. But we sure as hell remembered Wu Tang Clan, Tupac and Oasis. They're all from the same generation. Just some were clearly better. :thumb:

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

The charts were awesome prior to the late 1980s! They had a few good moments after that too, like on pirate and indie radio in the 80s', and when the britpop and seattle thing happened in the 90's. But other than that, it's totally sadface.

I agree with modfx, music is totally screwed up these days. There might still be the odd great band and artist lurking in the underground but they are hard to find because everything is so fragmented and a lot of great bands just aren't "making it" anymore so cant afford to record and tour etc - because they aren't reaching the masses, because the masses have been brainwashed in to thinking all this r 'n b pop crap is good.

13. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

how come every time i go into a musical discussion i feel like such a hipster? I haven't actually liked any of the music that has been discussed this entire thread...

for example... im probably the only one listening to this...

p.s. fully agree on the Hendrix thing... he was good for his time, and i respect what he did for music, but i can make a decent sized list of guitarists that have surpassed him in every way.

14. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but Hendrix was far more than just a guitarist and I can't think of many people who could sing, play, perform, innovate, and write, as well as him.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The thing is, People mistake "influential" for "great" all the time.

I personally consider myself a pretty serious metalhead. From Sabbath through Watain, Megadeth, Slayer, etc... it's all in there.
    And yet, I really, really REALLY dislike Metallica.
    I think they lost an edge with "Justice". After that they dropped into a recipe that builds up well, and sortof-climaxes, but not really. Example: The last good guitar solo they wrote (this is all opinion, of course) was in "One". It's what the song needed at the time, and just right. It's an explosion of emotion and sound just when the song needs.
    Now take any song from Black, Load, Reload and find me THAT. A buildup where the pinnacle of the song is an unbridled explosion. I have tried, and I can't find one.
    So that's why I don't care much for Metallica.
    When I say that to fellow metalheads, I almost get lynched. "How can you say that? After all they did for metal! Without them, metal wouldn't be where it is today!!!". My response to that is always "I have MASSIVE respect for them. They did a LOT for music, and a LOT for metal. That doesn't mean I have to like them. I also don't like Elvis, Hendrix or The Beatles."

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

80s Metallica = :rock:

90s Metallica = :sigh:

00s Metallica = :blah:

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Even as a massive Metallica fan I have to respect that opinion. For me Justice is possibly the best album they ever wrote BUT it is also one of the worst recordings ever produced by any band ever, which pisses me off immensely. Imagine Justice with the raw edge in the recording that Puppets had.

P.S. The only one I can think of coming close to early Metallica solo's is 'Bleeding Me'. There's a lot of feel in that puppy, just a shame about the rest of the album.

This all goes with a lot of music in general, I will always have respect when someone is a driving force for music itself and I get quite annoyed when people refuse to accept that; even if they don't like a band, it doesn't mean they haven't been important and I can think of many examples of this. The missus passionately hates N.W.A. (and I'm not a massive fan either to be honest) but you can't deny the steps forward they made for rap.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

This exactly reminds me of all the hate of electronic music - while some kinds of electro, especially trance are the one of the closest ones to the classical music in their structure. Try to do this or this with some hip hop song :D.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The real issue in music (like in games, like in almost everything these days) is that it's a commercial venture.

It's all overproduced and paint-by numbers, once a successful recipe has been found. A (metal, since I don't follow many popular artists as much as they probably deserve) example here would be DevilDriver.
    The first album sounded like Coal Chamber's "Loco" for 40-odd minutes. Not bad, but even a great song like Loco gets boring after a bit.
    The second album, "The Fury of our Maker's Hand", kicked SERIOUS arse. it was one of my favourite albums that year, and I still enjoy listening to parts of it. Unfortunately for me, it was also a successful album commercially.
    This led to the next few albums all sounding like that: A serious double bass pedal sound, the Dez Fafara (sp?) growl/scream, and really same-y riffs.
    I listened to "Clouds of California once, and thought "Well, I know this song already....that's disappointing.", and didn't go and buy the album. Same with the next album, and as a consequence, I still haven't even bothered listening to "Beast".

Another example is Lamb of God.
    They grew massively, all the way until they released "Ashes of the Wake". And that album was INSANELY good (though nowadays I hear a piss-poor guitar sound in it). All the albums after that sounded the same: Chris Adler's "ding-ding-ding-baratatatat-ding-ding-ding" and adapted-from-testament guitar riffs covered up by the same-old Randy Blythe screams.

The issue here is that the recipe was commercially feasible when it came out, so now it's being milked for all that it's worth before the band burns out or fades away.
    There are a few bands that stand out as just doing what they want, and getting away with it. On their albums, they sound slightly different every time. They adjust to their surroundings to an extent, while maintaining who they are.
    Examples of these are arguably:
    Avenged Sevenfold
    The Offspring (no - they're not like I remember them from Smash or Ignition, and yes, they calmed down, but I don't care)
    Mastodon (every album of theirs has alienated me a bit at first, and then captivated me)

20. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

It's official then. Hermits have no taste in music.

The untold amounts of absoloute sh*te out there being released at the moment, and you pick Coldplay?

What kind of human being are you?