1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Why PC won't boot with display port connected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 15 Jul 2012.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Hi all,

I've been having problems with my hd7750 when I do a cold boot!... I have a TV connected via the HDMI port, my 17" monitor connected via the dvi port using a dvi-vga cable, and my U2311H dell monitor connected via the display port using a native displayport cable...

The problem I am getting is that when I have all three displays connected and boot up from power off, all three displays don't turn on... After hours of cable/port configurations and reboot, I found that I can not keep the displayport cable connected to the card when I do a cold boot, I must take the cable out before I boot up, when I can see the boot up screen I can then pop the displayport plug back in to the card to get tri-display set up again... However, when I do a restart within Win the PC boots up fine, which is very puzzling!?...

Does anyone here have this problem and know what might be the issue/s and can direct me to what I need to do to resolve this issue please?...

Much appreciate all the help I can get! :thumb:

- Sent from my CFX Skate via tapatalk...

2. trueno!

Just tested booting up with only the displayport cable connected to the card and my U2311H and still the same issue!... Also hear the HD7750 fans spinning a lot faster and louder!... It just seems that the card is unable to boot up with a displayport connected!...

Anyone got any ideas why this is so, and can help me fix the problem please?...

Sorry for double posting but I needed this sorted asap, I wanna tidy my room soon, its in a right mess now :p

Thanks to those who can help! ;)

3. trueno!

Again, apologise for a triple post :p

I've just tested the card in another motherboard ( a p5b deluxe) with the same monitor and cable and found no problems/issues!... Something on my motherboard ( P5Q Deluxe ) or the board itself is preventing my HD7750 from booting up my U2311H with the displayport connected!...

Anyone?...

4. RustyTool

RustyTool What's a Dremel?

I have no clue but ...have u searched the bios for settings for the triple display?

5. trueno!

Found this post http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036743420&postcount=24 but not sure if it relates exactly to my issue as the cable works after plugging it in to the card immediately after booting up PC!... Is the circular socket between the power & displayport sockets on the monitor have anything to do with making displayport work?

6. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

There has been a similar thread, it may be to do with the presence/absence of an active power feed within the DP cable, but I'm no expert as my monitor is an ancient 4:3 VGA 19" Dell rescued from the skip at work...

dunx

P.S. Try booting with the DP monitor un-powered at the mains and then plug in and turn it on last ?

7. trueno!

So, I've been doing more research and found that the displayport cables that have the live pin20 does in fact interfere with the cold pc boot up, and from what I read, it's something to do with the power being supplied through the pin20 on the cable that causes my HD7750 to not boot the U2311H up properly & cause the fans on the card to spin @ full whack...

Link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9Wa4iPBS8 shows an example of the exact problem I'm facing & provides a cheap solution too... It looks like I'm off to ebay to get me an adapter for my DVI cable :p ( hoping that I don't need a whatyoumacallit passthrough adapter to enable me to use my DVI port on my U2311H via the DP port on my card )... Fingers crossed! ;)

8. keithwalton

keithwalton Banned

I'm no expert as my monitor is an ancient 4:3 VGA 19" Dell rescued from the skip at work...

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Check if you have the latest firmware/BIOS for your graphic card. If that doesn't help, than it sounds like an issue with your card. Whether something is faulty on your card (and few select others), or it's a circuit design issue and everyone is affected.

The potential problem with using the DisplayPort to DVI, is that the DVI is single link one. So the max resolution is 1920x1200. So if your screen is ever higher than that (let's say you are helping a friend that has 27inch 2560x1440 monitors), well you'll be stuck at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. You'll need to purchase an active display port adapter, and those are around 100$.

10. trueno!

Yeah, I already know about those active adapters and I hope I don't need one as I already bought myself one of those dvi-dp converter cables and I'll just have to wait and see when I get it in the post... If this doesn't work then I've just wasted 70£ for nothing! :'(

Thanks for your response... :thumb:

11. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Do I get "rep" or are you just a +1 ?

:D

dunx

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I get this with my 5870 to my U2311H. Never worked out why, just lived with it...

13. GoodBytes

DisplayPort is still fairly new. I am sure newer GPU's won't have such issues.
    The best way to rule out the monitor is to plug a laptop that has DisplayPort to the monitor, or another computer/graphic card with such connection.

IIRC DVI also had it's share of issues with the first monitors/graphic card using it.

14. trueno!

I forgot to mention that I tested the same gfx card & DP cable with my Dell U2311H on my older P5B Deluxe motherboard and found it worked okay ( booted up every time ) which confuses me A LOT!... So, it begs me to wonder why this card & cable connected to my U2311H won't boot up whilst on my P5Q Deluxe, as I already have the latest BIOS firmware flashed on it and because it's an old board it's undoubtedly that there will be another firmware update...

Still, lets just hope I don't need an active DP-DVI adapter as I can't afford the cost of one and would just be a waste of money for the card I bought... If this cable converter doesnt work I'll just have to get me another cheapo second Radeon card to get me a third monitor working properly... Wasn't expecting to spend this much on gfx cards if I knew this would happen! :'(

Fingers crossed that the guys with a their solution in the video I posted earlier will work for me too! ;)

OR... Is there anyone here that can recommend me a place where they do sell DP cables that are pin20 less, Radeon HDXXXX compatible?...

Much appreciate all the responses! :thumb:

15. GoodBytes

Ok I know the problem., and contacted a eng . about the issue. But you won't like the answer.
    From my understanding it has to do with the latency of certain lines of PCI-E of the motherboard.
    Motherboard manufacture blames Intel. Graphic card makers try to make workaround by adding systems on the graphic card (costly), to try and solve any latency problems from a or some lines.. Everything needs to be pin point perfect. 1ms or 0.5ms can be enough to brake things.

The reason why it works with DVI probably AMD workaround systems didn't check for that. Sometimes it can be solved via a driver update or firmware of the graphic card update if you are lucky. Sometimes a new card or revision of the same card is needed.

Nvidia for example, for the GTX 600 series, is PCI-E 2.0 default, as some few (mainly Intel's ones) PCI-E 3.0 motherboards has such sever latency or occurs on some wires, that a work around can't be done with the current design, or not found yet. For those who has PCI-E 3.0 motherboard, a tool exists from Nvidia to enable it, but it make the graphic card have issues.

16. trueno!

Well then!...

It just arrived and what have I just found!?... Okay, the DP-DVI converter works but for some strange thing the card won't allow the third monitor to work & so can only have 2 displays turned on... I can switch between the third and the second displays but not both... Why is this so?... It looks like that I just have to live the fact I have to pull the DP cable out before turning PC on and then plug it back into the card...

This is a nightmare!!!... After hours of researching and asking around on here, I end up with a situation I feared that would happen!... I'm f'ing p'ed off now!!!... >.< I can't believe how hard it is to set up a tri monitor desktop from 1 gfx card with 3 outputs!... Why on earth design gfx cards with 3 outputs and not allow them all to be used!?... F'ing stupid!!!... If the f'ing cards can only output to 2 digital displays then they should have just kept to HD3/4000 series design & Geforce designs and use adapters to convert cables for the required signals...

Is there anywhere in UK that sells DP cables with the pin20 missing???... This is most probably the best way I can go about fixing this issue with Cold Boot issues with DP cable plugged...

Much appreciate the response!?...

17. GoodBytes

Just for fun.. if you plug that GPU onto the motherboard that DP worked.. do you have any problem setting up the triple monitor?

18. trueno!

Do you mean plug my HD7750 into my P5B Deluxe board and set up tri-monitor?... Yes, I have done that and far I can remember, that worked every time I cold booted... It is very strange!... I just can't figure out what is causing the gfx card on the P5Q Deluxe to react that way!?... Is there some circuitry on the P5Q Deluxe to keep the gfx card delivery power when PC is switched off but still connected to the power outlet?...

If I can find a pin20-less DP cable I can see if this the problem for my situation, anyone got a UK online store I can purchase one of these?...

19. GoodBytes

Like I explained, it's a problem with PCI-E lanes (the circuit wire length of each pin of PCI-E aren't the exact.. but exact length). It's the motherboard problem.

20. trueno!

So by saying that I've got a board that isn't made correctly to Radeon specifications?... Would mean I need to replace my board / or gfx card?... If so, NOT VERY HAPPY!!!... I've spent hours researching for the right board & gfx card to keep my most of my current system running, and you're hinting that I've made a balls of a job with my purchases!?...

Still waiting for anyone who can point me to a e-tailer with the pin20-less DP cable I can buy & test, preferably not too expensive though?!...