1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Best gaming headset USB or 3.5mm Jacks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 19 Jul 2012.

?

USB or 3.5mm Jacks for best sound and surround.

1. USB

5.0%
  2. 3.5mm Jacks

95.0%
  1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My budget is ~£130 :)

Which will give me the best sound and surround - USB or 3.5mm jacks?

I want 5.1 surround as a minimum requirement.

This will be used with my M18X R2.

So send me your choice/experience in which you think is the best gaming headset for my budget. :D

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I use a logitech g35 headset. It is great, usb. I'm not an audiophile though, but I have no issues with it.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

All CPC and Bit reviews have shown that surround headsets don't make much of a difference, and are generally crap for the money.

So just get something really good that isn't surround. :)

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I like the surround sound. Sure it is virtual, but I found it helped my gaming when compared to 2.0 speaker setup.

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I can vouch for Kidmod's comments. Friend of mine has a set of Tritton 5.1 headphones, full USB powered amp and 3.5 jacks setup (PC51u, IIRC.) And he's reported that my HD485's give a similar 3D effect, and have a larger soundstage to boot. The only bonus with the Trittons is a lot more rumble to the bass, due to the integrated "Subwoofer"

As far as just an execeptionally comfy headset goes; the Razer Carchatias is said to be okay, basically the Megolodon headphones without the 5.1 USB amp in there.

I'm not sure. Personally I'd say pick up a set of something like HD 515 G4ME headphones and a reasonable mic to make up for the lack of one.

The ironic thing is that most of the USB based systems just use a variant on the Dolby Headphones effect, which is better to simulate on PC for more accuracy and customisable environment shapes, I often flick my HD 485's between the mid-level enviroment for games and the low-level for films, just to give the audio in films a little more depth. Music gets listened to without the Dobly effect, though, as it can skew harmonics quite a bit.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012
  6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

USB sounds like ass compared to a 3.5mm jack. 5.1 headphones are a gimmick unless they actually have 5 speakers and one sub woofer in each ear cup. Stereo headphones provide just as much directional sound as a pair of "5.1" headsets, they also have a wider sound stage which makes it even easier to locate sound locations.

If it says "gaming" avoid it (pretty much goes for anything computer related), it's almost always a gimmick to get stupid people to buy them. I've tried the G35s, sound like turds for what you pay for them, and I even bought them on sale.

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

You best bet would be to get a good set of music headphones (best you can for £100) and a mid range desktop mic for about £30.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

3.5mm isn't always the best, if I was on a very very small budget and had no sound card or anything, even I would rather go with a cheap USB headset... Less noise and static than onboard sound, still does the job usually.

But with your budget, a real pair of stereo headphones from a good hi-fi company is what you want, not anything with surround, noise canceling, gaming features, etc.

I just think of it this way... What do Razer or Corsair know about making a quality pair of headphones compared to say, Sony or Sennheiser?

I'm sure their audio stuff is alright, but real headphones win out every time IMO.

I'm not a big fan of the website Head-Fi, but there's a pretty decent gaming headphone buyer's guide over there in the forums.

I've been happy with my PC -> DAC/AMP -> good headphones + cheap desktop mic setup for a couple of years now.

If I were you, I'd get a USB sound card like the Xonar U3, you can probably use the built-in mic on your laptop or buy a cheap desktop/lapel one, and get the best headphones you can find within your budget.

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Anything USB powered will have its own digital sound card so it really depends on the quality of the sound chip on your laptop compared to the headphones.

Having said that you probably wouldn't be able to run 5.1 off a laptop

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for your reply peeps. :)

I need a full headset, as I will be using them in my truck, so a separate mic is a no no. :)

What is everyone's thoughts on these using the spdif?

Tritton AX Pro Dolby Digital Precision Gaming Headset Clicky?

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I believe I can add some insight here as Gaming audio was my hobby (before mechanical keyboards).

First off, 3.5mm jacks definitely over USB, as you can connect the headset to an external sound card at a later date, and you won't be stuck with a (possibly inferior) inbuilt little DAC.

About headsets, stay away from 5.1 headsets EVEN if they do have 5 speakers in each ear, because the speakers will be miniscule and weedy. Go for a quality stereo headset, as circumaural sound is the way forward. You only have two ears, and quality circumaural headsets mimic what your ear naturally hears from different directions, giving a sense of soundstage width and depth.

You can't go wrong with the Sennheiser PC360's. Top of Sennheisers headset line, sounds comparable to a HD595 (which are headphones). They retail around £130 and are easy to drive, although I got mine off eBay as new for £78. It is a great all-rounder headset, and if you want better surround sound your only option is headphones costing in excess of £150-£200 with a separate mic.

No other headset will give you as good sound, except maybe the £300 Beyer MMX300s, but even those won't necessarily sound "better" just different as they are closed-back.

I have them myself actually.

12. .//TuNdRa

Ouch. At last check; that's just a cheap-ish DAC attached to a set of PC51U headphones, which aren't that amazing anyway. The PC51us are the ones to get if you've really got your heart set on a set of 5.1 headphones, integrated Mic and similar to the AX pro, but much cheaper.

Does mean you'll need three audio output jacks plus the usual microphone in, however.

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My laptop has 3x 3.5mm jacks for 5.1 plus a S/P Dif jack. I have the option in the sound blaster control panel to set up 5.1 via the 3.5mm jacks. :)

[​IMG]

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Do yourself a favour and go for PC360s, that stuff isn't worth its price tag when you take into account the sound quality.

15. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Lol, sweet!

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would personally go for a decent set of headphones, then a clip on mic.
    I've currently got a pair of DT770pros, and some cheap £5 speedlink mic which works fine.

Now obviously you wouldn't be able to use those headphones, but I would still go that direction.

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

+1 for the PC360 if you must have an attached mic

19. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

With that budget I would get a sound card such as the Asus Xonar DG or Asus Xonar DS and a 3.5mm Jack based headset i.e. Razer Carcharias (although many people argue that "gaming" based headsets are over priced and more professional sound branded headphones are better).

___

Edit: Nevermind..laptop...

20. .//TuNdRa

Failure.

This is a laptop. Suggest how the Xonar DX or DG is going to fit?

Anyhow; the Razer is an option. They're not bad for clarity, cheap, and according to Bit-tech reviews; very comfy and reasonable on the sound.