1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Need some help with hardware selection for upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coffinator6, 30 Jun 2012.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Glad to see the 600T Clear panel arrived OK :thumb: .... and Awesome DOG! :hip:

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

If you're going to stay with the AMD chip; The Sabertooth and the Crosshair 990FX boards are damn nice to use. I've had a long play with a friend's 990FX sabertooth, and my Crosshair V can absolutely demolish my previous motherboard for control and overclocking.

As far as overclocking goes; Get a feel for it. Seriously. You've got an unlocked chip, and if you're under water; you can do virtually anything to a Phenom II processor so long as it doesn't go over 70 degrees for more than about fifteen minutes, and you keep the Voltage, Aka; vCore under about 1.7V. The Phenom II's were just built with a "No f'cks given" setting for overclocking, so long as the heat is kept in check, so it's not a bad series to learn with.

I'd echo everyone else though; You don't need Ultimate, Home premium or possibly Professional (If you really need XP mode) Is all you need. Ultimate is just out there to look shiny.

3. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

That's what I'm going to go with. I liked windows 7 when it was installed on my other HDD.

Thanks, he normally hates being around when I work on stuff. This time, he wants to be in the middle of it.

It fits great but has a little larger gap on the rear than the front. Easily fixed with a small rubber bumper fitted on the top of the case foot. Problem solved.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help. Ill have to look into overclocking it.

Newegg is having a 72 hour sale so I picked my seasonic x750 and got $30 off. Didn't plan on buying it until after I got the rest of my watercooling stuff but I couldn't resist saving some money.

Also got my old case demolished and drained the loop.
    [​IMG]

Got the video card ready for a waterblock
    Before

[​IMG]

After. Also making the template for the carbon fiber backing plate.

[​IMG]

And just because I had a bright idea(rare occasion) I decided to weigh it. It actually weights 1.99lbs. The plastic bag is 0.01lbs.
    [​IMG]

Also got the keyboard apart and ready for paint.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad pictures. I'm limited to working when I get off work at 2am so lighting is poor. It would help if I had more than my iPhone 4s to take pictures with too.

4. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I say go for Win7 Pro as you can add more memory and dual socket motherboards, so its more future proof. I am staying away from Win8 as I don't like the interface.

5. coffinator6

I haven't seen anything about win 8 until now. Just from a quick google search, I think the new interface is HORRIBLE! I'll deffinately be sticking with win 7.

6. coffinator6

Started making a template to hide the ugly wire management holes. Just haven't decided if I'm going to make it out of carbon fiber plate or a piece of black acrylic with some fluorescent green over it.

[​IMG]