1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI geforce gtx 680 lightning-Military Class III Components

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alfabet0, 22 Jul 2012.

1. alfabet0

alfabet0 What's a Dremel?

Greetings fellow forum members, I hope will forgive yet another post in such a short space of time.
    As you may have guessed anyone looking to buy a GTX 680 isn't going for value that aside I'd like hear your opinions of this card.

[​IMG]
    It looks like something that's built to last which is good as after dropping hole this size in my wallet I won't be upgrading any time soon.

Scan to day only £431.99
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...8mhz-gddr5-pci-e-30-dp-hdmi-dl-dvi-i-dl-dvi-d

Here's the sales pitch:

Unlocked Digital Power
    - Unlocked BIOS: One click to unlock all protections for extreme overclocking
    - Digital PWM Controller: More stable and precise voltage by digital signal
    - Enhanced Power Design: 2X Power output for maximum OC potential

GPU Reactor
    - An add-on device on the back of GTX 680 Lightning (Behind GPU) for the overclocking stability
    - Provide 200% higher power capacity and eliminate power noise (ripple)

Xtreme Thermal
    - Dust Removal technology on Twin Frozr IV keeps dust out for the best thermal condition
    - Dual Form-in-one Heatsinks provide better heat dissipation and strengthen the structure

Military Class III Components
    - Meet MIL-STD-810G standard to ensure the best stability and quality.
    - Adopt CopperMOS, Hi-c CAP, Golden SSC, and Dark Solid CAP

This card seems to have been overlooked for the most part due in no small part to it's launch price here's what little scant informational I was able to drudge up from Google search:

http://hexus.net/tv/show/2012/06/MSI_gives_sneak_peek_into_GeForce_GTX_680_Lightning
    http://hexus.net/tech/items/graphics/41361-msi-unlocks-n680gtx-lightning-graphics-card/
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-680-lightning-review/
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4791/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_2gb_video_card_review/index.html
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=961&Itemid=72

2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

a pretty damn amazing card which should have very good overclocking poweress!!

alfabet0 likes this.
  3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Personally I'd go for a 4Gb card if I was looking for guaranteed future proofing. That said if your only running 1200p or below you should be ok.

alfabet0 likes this.
  4. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Personally, that "GPU reactor" is an eye-sore. Other than that a powerful, good looking card. If you're playing games at around 1080p or 1200p it should serve you well. When I got my GTX 580 Lightning my mates were like "Dude, that cards an overkill and a waste of money. You only really need a 1GB card".
    I can assure you that they are eating their own words for opting for a 560ti 384 ;)

alfabet0 likes this.
  5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It's a very good card but I am not sure it is worth £70+ more than say a Windforce 670.

All of the extra gubbins it has only really help if you were planning to put it under extreme cooling.

6. alfabet0

There's said to be a 4gb extreme version on the way but I don't care to wait any longer than I have already, Perhaps I should reconsider a MSI HD7970 Lightning but with the GHZ editions just around the corner arrr!! frustrating:wallbash:
    The pragmatist in me tells me that your right but the paranoid part of me like's the military grad durability plus MSI are known for there silent cooling, perhaps I'm jut bit of an elitest:hip:

Last edited: 23 Jul 2012
  7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

How long did it take again for us to eat are words? That card is good if you want to have a fast overclockable air cooled card. I just wish they would bring out a water block for it so we could see what it is really capable of. As long as you have got a decent cpu to go with it ("cough Nuclear"), and learn how to spell pigeon fool.

8. alfabet0

An Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.5GHz is decent right?

9. bagman

bagman Minimodder

That will be a lot better than a Athlon II x2. In fact I would say it is the perfect choice.

aNuclearPidgeon likes this.
  10. aNuclearPidgeon

You know what Morgan? +1.. just +1. For trolling me ;)

And it took about a year for all of you to eat it ^_^

11. aNuclearPidgeon

Like the GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme; it's going to be around +£100 on top of that price.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

:nono: Double posting.

13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

If its anything like my 580 Lightning it should be awesome!

14. alfabet0

As if you had any doubt by now I'm new to PC building and I've realized at this time full 2560x1440 resolutions on a single GPU with AA+ Setting isn't realistic.
    What I'd like to know is there a half-way house from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 while still maintaining all the eye candy?

For example I'm using a ancient LCD monitor with 1024x768 res on a PC that's just about ready to fall to pieces.
    I run binding of isac change the resolution down to 720x480 just to see what would happen every thing is just shrunk down to accommodate the low res and a large black border appears around the screen.
    Would the the same happen on a dell U2711 if I went down from 2560x1440 res?

15. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

you have 1920x1200 & 2048x1152 before you hit 2560x1440

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd say it is mate! A 670 or a 7970 will run pretty much every single game maxed (maybe you'll have to use FXAA instead of MSAA in BF3)

I'd go with either a 7970 or a 670, but probably wouldn't drop the extra on a 680

17. alfabet0

My sincere thanks to all for indulging me, I'm more than happy to hear any additional formation you my wish to share but I mustn't take any more of your time.

Your assistance has been invaluable but I must resist the urge to start a thread for every little thought that rattles around my head:idea:

PS I'd give all some rep+ put I'm all out at the moment:)