1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Maple's Questions: Current Question; Upgrade motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 2 Jul 2012.

1. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I believe they come with 2 140mm fans on the front & top and a 120mm on the rear

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think you're right, but I recalled Bit being a little critical of the stock cooling. See here.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to spend any money on this setup unless it was either dangerously hot or unbearably loud.

3. maple

maple Minimodder

It only came with 2 fans, one at the front and one at the back

the front one all it does is bring tons and tons of dust in so i disconnected it

what should i do then get some more fans and where should i put them

and how do you put them at the top since i cant even get the top openbut why at the top since theres nowhere for the air to go out

4. Shirty

5. maple

maple Minimodder

when i got my case from scan it was missing the rubber feet, had a couple scratches on the bottom and wasnt packaged properly and the open/close thing where the disc drive goes there was only 2 of them not four like the picture and no top fan

Im thinking that someone bought it and thought they didnt want it and sent it back and it got sold to me, phoned scan at the time and they weren't very friendly so nothing was done, just accepted it nothing i couldve done about it

edit i said the rubber feet, not the rubber feet the back rubber feet were on but on the front it has these little pads one of those was missing

6. Shirty

:eeek:

I'd have raised hell if I'd received anything in that state, especially a case costing that amount! That constitutes "used". How long ago did you buy this case?

7. maple

maple Minimodder

it was last year i think when i bought it hasn't been a year yet, its why I don't buy cases from scan anymore id rather pay more and get from somewhere else rather than deal with these imbeciles

8. maple

maple Minimodder

9. mrMonkeyChunks

so currently your case only has 1 120mm exhaust fan? this wont help your temperatures in the slightest.
    as for the sucking in of dust you have several options, if the case is on the floor(particularly if carpeted) you should raise it using wood or something under the feet. Alternatively you could buy a dust filter or ghetto mod a pair of tights to prevent dust from entering.

as for fan placement I would put one on the front, back, two on the top blowing onto the motherboard and possibly one on the side blowing onto the graphics card

10. maple

maple Minimodder

yes only one exhaust fan

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Well, my Phantom actually fits:
    1x120mm at the front
    1x120mm at the rear
    2x120mm on the side
    2x200mm on the roof (one push one pull)
    2x120mm in 5.25" bays (push push)
    1x120mm on the floor angled to blow straight to my GPU fan

I just haven't plugged them all in yet :p

On topic, definitely refit your front fan maple, and get some spares in there as well. Generally get your air flowing front bottom to top back.

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

As your not overclocking you dont need to go ott with fans.

Just get the front intake running, and maybe add another exhaust up near the cpu end.

13. mrMonkeyChunks

:jawdrop: I wouldn't be surprised if your case lifted off the ground once all those get plugged in.

14. maple

maple Minimodder

Update!

So since I ruined the push pin on my TX3 and only 3 pins are in I want to get a Frio however it won't fit in my motherboard since I am using Corsair Dominator ram, I am also wanting to upgrade board to get the full speed out of the SSD since my board doesn't have native sata 6GB/s so what board should I upgrade to? so far I have seen this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...cie-30-(x16)-d-sub-(vga)-dvi-d-hdmi-micro-atx

15. maple

maple Minimodder

would that board I just posted let me fit a Thermaltake frio or be quiet advanced or a decent cooler aswell as the corsair dominator?

16. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

What's your budget maple? If all your running is a Celeron then you might as well go for another cooler instead of another motherboard. Even something like the Kuhler 620 or the Corsair H40 are about half the price of that motherboard and won't have any clearance problems. You could even get something like the Gelid Tranquillo which is almost half as much again.

If you sell the Frio on the marketplace you'll probably break even on the Tranquillo. I used one on my girlfriends i7 860 and it cools that fine. Its also got its own bracketry so no push pins to worry about.

That motherboard should be fine if you wanted to upgrade but I don't think anyone (unless they have the same setup) will be able to guarantee fitment.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2012
  17. maple

maple Minimodder

I'm looking at cheapest possible however want native sata 6gb for full speed from my ssd also how about on an 15 2500k

18. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Well as you have not set a price why not a 3570k with a z77 board at least then you have USB- 3, pci- 3, 6gb sata etc etc. And bang up to date for games

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

19. maple

maple Minimodder

can't afford that, one upgrade at a time is what i'm doing

20. maple

maple Minimodder

also ive got usb 3 sata 6 etc however its just not native so i dont get the full speed but its still faster than 3gbs

and the antec cooler im thinking about it but im scared that one day it will leak and i will need new cpu and motherboard

Last edited: 24 Jul 2012