1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Maple's Questions: Current Question; Upgrade motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 2 Jul 2012.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Dude native smashtive.

I have an SSD on a Sata 3 connection and a HDD on a Sata 2. HDD is a Sata 3 device has been benched on Marvell/Sata 2 and Sata 3. Currently on a Sata 2 connection because there was no increase in speed from Marvell and Sata 2.

I have not moved my SSD from one connection to another as it is my OS drive.

But I highly doubt you will be missing much speed wise.

I will do a quick bench of my old SSD across each port once I have bought my new larger SSD.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

HDDs don't saturate SATA 2 so that's why you saw no difference between 2 and 3. SSD you would see a max performance difference, but likely very little difference on screen.

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

That ^. My supposedly faulty Force 3 on SATA2 feels no faster than my friend's (who gave me said faulty SSD) 2x 128GB M4s in RAID0 on SATA3. In benchmarks of course, they're miles ahead but I can't feel a difference pottering about in Windows.

4. maple

maple Minimodder

Wouldn't I see it boot even faster and load games quicker with native sata 6 motherboard?

also on the antec 300 case theres no hole on the bottom but ive still put the power supply in with the holes facing the bottom however there is still a little room between the psu and case floor and it is only powering a G530 integrated graphics, one ssd one dvd drive one case fan on low speed

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

There may be a second or two in it I would think but nothing worth replacing the motherboard for.

Regarding the PSU, I'd flip it up the other way so the grill is at the top to maximise airflow. My CM Storm Trooper is designed to have the power supply with the grill facing down but my PSU didn't like it. My PSU has post shutdown cooling so it fires up the 12v rail to spin the fans for a set duration, minimum of ten seconds up to a minute and a half I think depending on it's internal temperature. My PSU's cables were too short so I had to mount it with the grill facing down and every time I shut down the PC the PSU would fire back up and run the post shutdown cooling for its maximum period of time. Now that I've got some extension cables and I've flipped it so the grill is pointing upwards it'll only ever run for 10 seconds no matter what I was doing before I shut the PC down.

6. maple

maple Minimodder

Okay thanks will just kep the board till have to do a major upgrade in a few years time or whatever, will the power supply last lesss and die sooner I left it the way it is? It's just that i've got it all plugged in and can't be bothered unplugging etc and also the power supply seems to attract quite a lot of dust aswell

also about the antec watercooler, will it be fine for years? or will it leak one day all over my cpu and stuff

and currently the tx3 is giving 53c load with 3 pins in so paying£50 is kinda no point then isn't it like the motherboard but I just fancy watercooling

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I suppose longevity is dictated by the temperature your PSU is rated for. A google tells me my Enermax is certified for 24/7 operation at 40°C. I think if I exposed it to more than 40°C for long periods of time then the longevity of the internal components and the efficiency may start falling. Considering your PSU isn't powering that much, I think it should be alright in its current orientation.

I would be happy with those temps to be honest, I wouldn't want to waste a good chunk of money on an aftermarket cooler for a Celeron. I'd keep an eye on the marketplace for anyone selling a heatsink if you did want to replace it.

I suppose there's always a chance that a sealed watercooling system could leak. Admittedly, I've only ever used two, an Antec 620 and a Corsair H100. The Antec was faulty out of the box with pump problems and the Corsair is still going well. Again, I wouldn't want to fork out £50 for one to put on top of a Celeron. If you decided to upgrade the CPU at a later date, you could always think about upgrading to a watercooler or a big heatsink at the same time.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

Thanks for the advice its great that I don't have to upgrade it actually is there any decent heatsink better than the tx3 which would fit though with the dominators, if I was using something like 2500k wouldnt it still be better to just keep the tx3 then since even though only 3 pins are in properly its still giving temperatures much better than stock cooler ever was

9. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

If you were going for a 2500K or something then I'd go for the Freezer 13. Its one step up from the Freezer 7 and one step below the Freezer 13 pro which is pretty big.

However, it does use push pins but they aren't anything like the normal Intel designed ones. Have a look at the this video. It shows how you mount it. (the video is for the Pro version but they use the same system)

10. maple

maple Minimodder

I got a freezer pr 2 for the budget pc and the push pins are much better and easier but how much are you suppost to screw in the actual cooler, with the freezer on the E6400 temperatures are very high around 50 idle most of the time and the fan is runing close to 100%

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I think your supposed to screw the heatsink all the way into the bracket. It's what I did when I installed a Freezer 13 and a Freezer 13 Pro and the temps were good on both.

12. maple

maple Minimodder

thats what I did however temps are still high on the budget pc, what temps should I be getting with E6400 with freezer or with stock cooler

13. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I would expect around 30 idle and 40-50 load but I could be way off. Have you got SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS?

14. maple

maple Minimodder

no idea should it be enabled?

15. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

SpeedStep will allow the CPU to drop its speed down when its not doing anything, lowering temps and power usage. My CPU is normally 3.2GHz but will drop to either 2.1GHz or 800MHz depending on what it's doing. I'll see if I can dig out the model number of the ASRock board and see where the option is located in the BIOS.

Edit: Right, head into the BIOS maple, move over to the "Advanced" section, then down to "CPU Configuration" and make sure that "Intel (R) SpeedStep(tm) tech" is set to "enable".

16. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you very much will have a look next time i switch it on if i remember

17. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

No problem :)

18. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

My old (now gone) e6400 Would idle around 30c-ish @ 3.4Ghz on a freezer 13, was a good OCer. (good to know as a reference for your testing though)

19. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

aramil, was your E6400 clocked at 3.4GHz all the time or did you have SpeedStep enabled? (not sure if it can be enabled when overclocking... I know AMD's CoolNQuiet sytem wont enable on my PC when it's overclocked)

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Speedstep works the same when overclocked as it does standard.