1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 28 Jun 2012.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

cool that'd do.
    thanks

2. blacksta

blacksta What's a Dremel?

intresting comments but still undecided whether i should get one

3. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Do it. I was a bit unsure but glad I jumped in. It even makes a great sat nav.
    Anyone got any recommendations for apps to spend my £15 credit on?

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

What are you using as a SatNav on it? Comparable to a 'proper' unit, such as a TomTom?

5. davefelcher

I just had a go with Google Navigation. The big screen works well for sat nav. The GPS signal was rock solid too.
    I'll probably get something like CoPilot so that the maps are stored on the device. Using my phone as a hotspot when using Google Navigation isn't ideal.
    I've never owned a 'proper' sat nav but have borrowed my dad's Garmin a couple of times. The Nexus was definitely the better experience. Just need a proper car mount for it now.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Problem will be data costs unless on unlimited data plans phone/ tablet sat nav get data heavy

7. davefelcher

I'm on one of those 'unlimited' data contracts. Completely unlimited up to 500MB.
    Call me crazy but isn't that a limit?
    Also as far as I know T-mobile don't allow you to tether the phone.
    In what world is it unlimited? Morons!

Using a sat nav app where the maps etc are stored on the phone/tablet is the best way.

8. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

There are a few offline Navigation apps:

Sygic (pay)
    CoPilot (pay)
    Navigon (pay)
    Waze (free)
    NavFree (free)

Not had a chance to try any of them yet. I'm gonna wait for Google to put offline navigation on their Maps, which I've heard they plan to do. And I think TomTom was going to intoduce an android client at some point too, would be great as I use a TomTom currently.

9. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I thought offline Google maps was shown on the nexus 7, not checked myself possibly not yet implemented, and they only discussed for saving journeys–which is all you want anyway!

I'm also with tmob, unlimited data capped at 3gb (still works after limit reached no extra charges just limits to certain activities, though in found everything worked fine) and allows tether fine.

10. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Yeah it has offline maps, but still needs a data connection for navigation to work. Some say they have got away by planning the route first with a connection, then start driving without any internet.

11. davefelcher

Oh right, that makes sense. I had a square of UK saved where I was travelling so was surprised when it required a connection to plan a route.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I am on a t mob contract and tbh they are quite decent. Download over a gig every month and tethering works spot on.

13. davefelcher

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=support&cat=FAIR_USE_POLICY

I don't have an issue with the limits/restrictions but I do take exception to calling something unlimited when there are limits.

It says you can continue to use the internet when you've hit the limit but things like video and file downloads are restricted.

I used to regret changing to T-Mobile but there seems to have been a big improvement since the Orange deal. I can even get reception in my parents' village now.

Does anyone know what the rules are around tethering? I'm sure some networks make you pay extra to do it but I'm not sure how they'd even know you were doing it.

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Never had those restrictions kick in with me and I'm always over my quota. Strange.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just installed Koi live wallpaper and would definitely recommend it. Touch the fish and they swim away, probably sucks power but nice to look at all the same.

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

17. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

To all the people talking about offline maps and navigation, here's a quick summary of how it works:
    • Google Maps version 6.9 and above supports offline maps. This allows you to cache quite a large area of the map to the device for use without a network connection. Only the maps layer is saved, not satellite or other overlays.
    • Versions before 6.9 can do a similar thing with a Labs feature called "Cache Area" which lets you save a circle 10 miles across around your current map view.
    • Google Navigation requires a network connection to plan a route, even if it's within an area that you have cached offline.
    • If you plan a route, and then turn off your network connection, it may still work as long as you do not deviate from the planned route. This only works sometimes, but as soon as you deviate from the suggested route directions will stop.

Hope this helps clear things up for some people, if anyone's got any more questions I'll do my best to help.

Tim S likes this.
  18. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Been thinking about getting a tablet for a while and the nexus seems to fit the bill nicely. Has anyone bought one from HMV? I have 30 quids worth of instore vouchers (that I can't find anything else worth buying form instore in the last 8 months ive had them!) to use and the 8Gb for £130 seems a nice deal, BUT it appears that they only stock the 16gb version! :wallbash:

I only want the 8gb really, especially in light of the app that allows you to connect a USB pen drive via OTG cable without rooting the nexus (althogh I prob will root it in future).

So, does anyone know if HMV plan or have in the past stocked the 8gb version? Anyone I speak to instore seems to sweet fu-all...

EDIT: Also would be good to hear any opinions of long term (i know its bene out a relatively short period of time) thoughts of the tablet - I will be using it for web browsing, email etc... although I did see a cool videos of someone streaming BF3 through the nexus form their PC!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1824820

Last edited: 21 Aug 2012
  19. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

You can only get the 8GB direct from Google I think while you can get the 16GB from plenty of places.

20. davefelcher

More details about this please.