1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Finally Time For a Mech Keyboard :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeDaly, 25 Jul 2012.

1. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Hello Ladies a Gentlemen, just back from a 3 week holiday in Florida and came back with some of my spending money, so I have decided I am going to jump on the Mechanical keyboard band wagon at long last :rock:

So I would like to hear what switch recommendations you guys have for someone who types code 50% of time and plays games the other 50% - had blues, or reds in mind? :geek:

Also what brands would you guys recommend?

I like back lighting but it is not necessary

is there any advantages, with Filco over Ducky?

Thanks as always guys, Luke :D

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

inb4 Filco with browns

But seriously, a Filco Majestouch (TKL or not, your choice) with browns is a good plain yet well build board that's sure to please., and should be easy to buy.

3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

filco with browns

Looking back I would get the tenkeyless though, I would also get it in camo. I just got the standard black.

I do use my number pad, but not enough to justify the space it consumes

4. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Seems that Filco has been suggested, best just jump on the Ducky bandwagon :p

Backlit TKL with Browns and it is amazing

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You shoud have bought one while you were still in the US. You could have got a Rosewill which is just a rebranded Filco for half the price.
    After trying a lot of boards I find they are all a muchness really except for a few. Those few I like personally all have one thing in common that they are pcb mount. I think they have a better feeling and they are vastly easier to mod. I like the KBC/Vortex Poker, Cherry G80-**** and my next purchase is going to be the plum 96 which is interesting as it is almost as small as tenkeyless but has a numpad instead of the nav keys and no non standard keysizes.

For switch I will reccomend reds. They feel excellent and have a nice soft touch. I can type on them all day and they are perfect for gaming for me too. I also like blues quite a bit though, but they are my second choice.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Yup, you should have picked up a Rosewill, they were just on sale for $65 again. I have two of them and they are pretty nice for what you pay.

In terms of the switches I've tried: red=browns > blues

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Filco is the best, but not by much.

There are a few things to think about, like layouts, but a Filco is a foolproof choice, and browns are a foolproof switch, especially as a first try.

Take it from someone who's had a fair few boards :)

8. el2k

el2k Modder

Leopold FC200R :)

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

This.

Oh and ANSI.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Filcos are nice. Very nice. But if you want a cheap entry level grab a Rosewill keyboard with some brown switches.

Mind you my starter is my IBM Model M. So I'm the strange one out. If you want backlit get a Ducky Shine with Browns.

11. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Was thinking of getting the separate Filco num pad, also is there any advantage and or reason you recommend browns over Blue :)?

I think i'll get the TKL and just buy the extra num pad for when I need it :)

How come you choose Ducky over Filco man? is the build quality the same? and yes I also like back light, but would easily sacrifice for a better built board :)

Any particular reason you chose browns over Blues? :) I always thought brown was just a quieter Blue ? :)

Thanks for all the help guys, anybody tried the CM storm quick fire rapid red?
    or am I better of sticking with the big guns of mech keyboards? :)

Luke:D

12. longweight

CM Storm is a good board, just a shame that it is so fugly.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Oi. Don't you go bad mouthing my new keyboard. Hmpf.

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Browns over blue because there is more than just a sound difference. Without going into lengthy discussion and explaining, I don't think anyone can deny the general consensus, which is that blues are not as nice to game on as browns, but are nicer for typing.

Browns are just a perfect middle ground, being very nice for typing and also amazing for gaming.

And definitely go for the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, it is available soon in reds/browns/blacks. If you can't afford a Filco it is a comparably amazing option in terms of build quality, and at a bargain price too.

15. longweight

Different board my friend.....

16. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

He is but a poor confused chap

we shall enlighten him with time!

17. longweight

Where are you based Luke?

18. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

I can afford a Filco :) I'm just trying to decide on Blue, Brown or Red now :(

I'm Based in Carrickfergus Northern Ireland :)

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Blue if you can stand the clicking and the slightly higher actuation force and the more pronounced tactility.

As for browns, from what I can tell they're a softer version of the blues with out the clickiness. Which makes sense as the blues use a "washer" of sorts to achieve that click.

Reds are extremely light and linear. I find it actually a decent type a switch but it's extreme sensitivity , may be off putting if not entirely distracting.

20. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Thanks for the comment, I can stand the click fine :) I think it sounds awesome, I can always add o-rings if it begins to annoy me tho :) do you have experience with Blues? :)