1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft details Windows 8 graphics acceleration features

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Jul 2012.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    What market share?
    Microsoft mainly had desktops, laptops and small servers. Those are still Microsoft dominated.
    Where Apple has grown was in phones and tablets, a previous small market that Microsoft neglected for years.
    Not the same approach. Apple has different OSes for dfferent devices.
    And they did. They removed user choice.
    Windows 8 is still Windows. For some tasks there isnt really an alternative. If Microsoft keeps Metro going for long enough time it will become the norm. Just like the ribbon is now for MSO. Early 20's and younger users dont know how to work in any other Office suite.

In 10 years time Metro-style will have disappeared.

You must try it. The Metro-stuff cant be "read", you must experience it and find out if can\want to work with it in a KB+M environment.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Apple is gaining to the desktop and laptop market very fast. It's simple. If you want a high quality, junk free system, with good warranty service, nice looking system, on the consumer side... there isn't much choice. It's that, or custom build system. If not, it's crappy junk filled, poor piss poor engineer, no OS disk, not even recovery disk, huge power bricks, MacBook Pro style replica's, or 17inch monstrosity gaming laptops.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    :naughty:

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Don't forget, impar - you're a geek. You want a custom-built system so that you can control every single aspect of the machine, including the hardware. You are also in the minority. The general public wants an easy-to-use, relatively maintenance free device. Portability is nice, too, and I think the general public is beginning to realize that they don't need full-on desktop systems for Facebook and casual gaming. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of office workers don't need full desktops, either. I think simple laptops with a basic docking station would suffice for most business applications.

If I didn't do so much heavy media creation I would seriously consider ditching my desktop and getting a laptop. Considering how powerful and compact hardware is getting, I suspect it won't be much longer before I can do just that.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    True that. But desktops are cheaper and easier to maintain and service.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Plus "affordable" Laptops still come with cr*p screens and bargain basement touchpads and lets face it, when you use the screen, keyboard and touchpad for 8+ hours straight each day the quality of those is very important, which means most cheap Laptops would be torture devices for actual work unless you get a separate screen, keyboard and mouse.

7. GoodBytes

Ok that's funny, but even a 2000$ laptop (except a Mac), doesn't have any of those, unless you buy these 17+inch laptop that weights, somehow more than a desktop and 24inch monitor (exaggeration).

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

^
    Laptops don't come with a screen where you live?

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

He meant even the highend laptops have "bad" screens. For example good luck finding a laptop with 13" display from anyone else but AOC and LG.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Sony do them too :) One of my (several) Vaios has a 13" display :)

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Jesus christ, read before you write :). We don't talk about laptop manufacturers with 13" display laptops, we (me nad GoodBytes) talk about laptop display manufacturers. Not the whole laptop, just the LCD screen. Good luck finding LCD manufactured by Sony (hint: there are none, Sony does not manufacture LCD screens).

12. GoodBytes

Actually, you missed a brand... Sharp. But they only do it for Sony and Apple to my knowledge. However, Sony uses the low end Sharp LCD screen, mostly to maximize profit, while Apple uses the high end Sharp. As for LG, all manufactures uses LG low end laptop panels. They are SOME absolute rare exception, where I see a OEM use a higher end LG panel... but usually those on are the 17inch laptops, or the rest of the laptop is a huge disappointment, so it doesn't attract attention.

As for AOC... Well it's in the name: Acute Overly Crap.

I remember when I want my laptop back 4 years ago.. Dell used 2 panel manufacture for the same resolution for teh very same laptop to meet demand. AOC or, if you are lucky, low end LG. Those, like me, that was lucky enough to get the LG screen, got a nice screen (By nice, I mean for laptop standards. The view angle and contrast are awful and has a slow response time.)

If you got AOC.. hehehe weeeeelll... people just returned the laptop, to try again, and hope it's an LG, let's put it that way. As for all review sites that got the system from Dell: Dell made sure that they have the LG panel.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Hehe yep, that was a bit of a misunderstanding there. Yep, unfortunately Screens are rubbish even in a lot of expensive Laptops, I would certainly not want to use one for a extended period like required by work, 8+ hours would be hell, which is why I was shooting down the idea of using Laptop as desktop replacements at work as you would still need a external (this time I'll add in that word to avoid confusion xD) Screen, Keyboard and Mouse in order to be able to work comfortably.
    Cause lets face it, you can have all the shiny new ivy bridge mobile cpus in the world in your laptop, but if the screen is crap you are still not going to enjoy using it.

Tags: Add Tags