1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New job - New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sneblot, 26 Jul 2012.

1. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

Ok so I have recently been informed that I have a new full time job. So this can only mean one thing, new computer :). Now don't get over excited as its going to take me a while to save up for this beast.

What I need is something that will see me though my final year of university in 12 months time. It will be doing a lot of rendering, image manipulation, video editing and of course gaming. Oh you can throw folding into that mix as well. Now at this moment I haven't got a rock solid budget but I would like it to come in under £5000.

Here is a link to my saved basket at Scan, as you can see I'm going for a triple GPU, six core i7 dual water setup. My question is could I save some money here or there so I can spend it on better components/case?

I have gone with the fractal design case mainly because I already own the Arc midi and love it, but are there better cases out there, which won't break the bank?

Also this machine is going to be in my bedroom so I would like to make it as silent as possible.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2012
  2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Try a screenshot. It's telling me to login.

3. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

Ok so I have changed the link in my original post, it should be pointing through to a saved basket which you won't have to log in to view.

Here is my idea for some water cooling

[​IMG]

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Looks good but your SSD (60Gb) is way to small really it should be at least 120Gb and they don't cost much more.

No need for a 850w PSU these days as everything draws less power so you could get away with 750W and still have loads of wattage left.

As for the water cooling what directions will your airflow be?

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Seriously stock CPU cooler??!!??
    EDIT: I see you are missing you WC loop in that basket.

6. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Get a bigger ssd, 128gb or 256gb samsung 830 or crucial m4 would be ideal, and I'd drop down to 670's the performance difference is quite small for the extra £300, and is that 64gb of ram your planning on getting, 32gb would be enough wouldn't it

Last edited: 27 Jul 2012
  7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't quite see the allure in triple 680's. I think dual 670(probably the 4GB versions) would be a better choice, even if you're using triple screens. As aramil said, upgrade the SSD to at least a 120, with your budget, I'd be tempted by a 256 or 512.

8. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

get the x79 extreme 11 just for bragging rites :p

9. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Given your budget, why not add an extra £150 and get a case designed for watercooling like a TJ07?

10. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

I like Fractal Design cases and not only would I be saving a wad of cash on this case but it would give me the opportunity to get my mod on. Though I have been playing about with the idea of going for the Obsidian 800D.

Ok so here is the latest basket update. I want to take this thing full under water, only problem is I don't quite know which chipset block I would need to get for my Asrock X79 Extreme9? Any ideas?

Last edited: 28 Jul 2012
  11. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Fair enough, I like FD cases too :thumb:. My only question on your last basket is your PSU. Is 750w is enough for triple 670s with the rest of your kit? The 670s draw about 170w each when under load so thats 510w to start with then with your CPU, Hard drives, 2 pumps, fans etc you'll be running near 90%. Personally I'd be looking at something a bit bigger for peace of mind. Also that PSU only has 4 PCI-E connectors, you'll need 6 for three cards, or some molex-PCI-E adapters.

Oh, and do you need a DVD drive? there isn't one in the list.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Why triple? 2X GTX670s are more than enough.

13. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

What is the point of 3 680s? take a step back and look at your budget. You could half it and still be fine. if you need it there's 2500 left for upgrades in time. Go on holiday or something

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Pretty much this. Unless you're hell bent on industrial work. Then splurge on a Quadro Card/FirePro Card. Otherwise, don't bother.

15. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

64GB of RAM. o_O Really?

16. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

or go for an sr2 build..... :)

17. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

I did look into an SR2 build with two 3930K but I thought it was a little overkill, though the only reason I was going to go with 3 670's or 680's for that matter was just so I could fold like crazy.

18. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Well if you'll be rendering alot a SR2 (or the new SR-X?) will give you alot increase in speed, extra cores + RAM slots are insanely good for it!

19. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

Its a beast of a board though, but I have found the Lian Li PC-Z70B Diamond series which fits in with the look I'm going for with this build, as I want it to be a very obelisk like.