1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Downsizing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edwards, 6 Aug 2012.

1. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Hi All,

Recently I've been debating the option of downsizing my computer. I'm not very familiar with cases that have been released since the RV02 that houses my rig at the moment, so thought I'd ask you fine people. What decent alternatives are there out there for me to build in to?

I'd be open to getting a smaller form-factor motherboard to accommodate a smaller case, however my computer is built with a focus on gaming, and as such I wouldn't want to downgrade my graphics card for a shorter one to accommodate a new case. I realise this probably limits my options, and that may put Micro ATX completely out of the window, but I'd like to hear what people have to say.

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Ooooooooooh eddy you kept this quiet ;).

TJ08-e is the popular choice recently and one i considered if i drop from my 800D. The TJ08-e will take all cards currently out (I think).

Depends what you wanna spend dude, no good listening to me im the guy with a £160 HTPC/Server case lol. LIAN LI Cheesecake !

Edwards likes this.
  3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Micro atx doesn't really limit anything, in terms of gpus or motherboards. The only thing is that it would be difficult to watercool.

I'm assuming your budget for a MATX case is similiar to your RV02. If so:

Case:

Personally my favourite matx case http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silv...ower-case-aluminium-steel-with-usb-30-w-o-psu

Edit: already mentioned :thumb:

This one ps quite nice as well :) http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silv...ack-microatx-aluminum-mini-tower-case-w-o-psu

This motherboard is just as good as any full size motherboard,although slight limiting expansion due to its size.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...gb-s-pcie-30-(x16)-displayport-hdmi-micro-atx

Edwards likes this.
  4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The length of the card isn't so much an issue any longer, but the general lack of space inside small cases is. They are generally just harder to keep cool, since most high-end graphics cards (especially the custom-cooled ones) dump their heat into the case.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I was a fan of the Gene range, until i looked at many reviews about the z77 version. There seems to be issues with some big coolers and how close they sit to the top slot when a gpu is fitted.

Eddy runs a frio so not entirely sure how close it would be to his GTX 570 & he uses all 4 ram slots the greedy begger.

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

bought a little silverstone, mAtx case, still able to fit a 2600k in, two ssd's and a 1tb mech hdd.. full ATX psu and a 580, little modding later .. br dvd (laptop type one) & 3 120mm fans ..

7. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Thanks for the info guys. Will take some time to digest is fully later. Just a couple more things; I wouldn't be adverse to getting rid of the Frio, in fact I noted that there are some corsair H80s in the marketplace that I was thinking of replacing my Frio with anyway. Would this be the best option, or is it better to stick with air cooler so that the total airflow in the case is higher?

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

My rig is in the sister case see my sig. 580 no problems even holds the end up supported.
    get a rear fan though and a good one. I got a H80 in my case

It is not easy to fit an H80 in this case. the other WC set is easier as it uses rubber tubes for got what company makes it.
    with the H80 you have to install in a very specific order.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012
  9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

My latest favourite in smaller cases, the Lian-Li PC-V650. Although it can actually fit full size ATX mobos as well.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I quite like my current case, the Fractal Arc Mini, fits everything I want (currently housing matx board, cpu watercooled by a 240 rad in the roof, GTX570, asus essence st, 4 HDDs and a SSD :) )

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm waiting for the Silverstone SG-09. The front isn't the prettiest, but this is a modding forum, right?

12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Check out the BitFenix Prodigy and a decent itx Z68 board.

13. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really like the look of the TJ08, and think I'll probably go with that.

In terms of motherboards to go with it, is there any reason why I shouldn't just get a Asus P8Z77-M and save myself over £60 compared to the likes of the Maximus V GENE?

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Depends, the Gene-z has the second highest stock scores and is one of the best OCers. If thats not important then get the cheaper one.

15. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Well I'd ideally like to overclock my processor, as I've got it up to 4.5Ghz at the moment, but I'm not so fussed about my graphics card. Just trying to work out if it is really worth all that extra money or not.

16. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Just thought i'd post back that I bought the TJ08-E in the end with an asus P8Z77-M. Thanks for the advice guys.

17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Why not the Silverstone PS07? It's basically a cheaper version of the TJ08. It just has 2x 120mm intake fans rather than 1x 180mm. And it looks nicer in my opinion.

18. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

In truth I'd not seen the PS07, but looking at it I prefer the front of the TJ08.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

its a great case but DO NOT use the SSD mount! it holds the SATA connection to the bottom of your case and over time bends the pins, because of this my SSD losses connection when its been on for a while.

Just use the 2.5-3.5 adapter plate that comes with your SSD and install in your HDD cage.