1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress SSR-X: Update - Bottom Cover Fiberglass Part 2/De-Mold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cleveland216, 1 Jun 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Love the staggered sli stack, that's just absolutely awesome use of the space in such an awkward shape, flipping excellent work mate, really is. :clap:

Lighting is very nice too & you bet the photography is appreciated. :)

Big wow inducing form, performance & function all rolled into 1, marvellous design & modding. :rock:

More comments inbound I'm sure, not seen the car wings yet, appreciate the slow release of awesome too, good thinking, my words would have been a big old spurge of woooooow, like this but far too much ramblah all at once. :D

---
    Ninjad

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh that's utterly badass :rock::jawdrop: coolest car mod I ever seen :D that is insanely awesome, you should get some hefty good recognition for this dude. :rock::dremel::clap::D:jawdrop:

Love it. :) I now need to calm down a touch. :lol:

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The truck shots are complete win.

3. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Looks amazing , mate , Love it all strapped to the car, you using a PCIE cable to attach the cards to the board ? Also what are running temps like ?

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

words simply can not describe......
    [​IMG]

5. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

awesome rig! I'm so jealous right now :p

6. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Thanks!

What I said when I designed it:hehe:

Thanks for all the support along the way. I really loved gaining the skill of learning how to do composite construction. It has opened a new door for me in life in regards to all my inventions. I only hope that this inspires people and spurs their creativity.

:clap::clap::clap: Thank God it is finished for the most part.

Hahaha! I get people twisting their neck to look at it.

Without the help of a 3D render, I really don't know again if it was possible without blueprints and such. The 3D render let me see the positioning and the overall size the build was going to have to be. If I wanted to use 3 or 4 cards the wingspan would have to be like 10-12 feet so it would could out geometrically pleasing to the eye. Than there would be the weight factor with the additional width and height, plus I dont have a wall in my apartment that long, ugh:wallbash:. So this build could only be a 2 card design.

The most efficient way to move this case is by mounting it on top of the "motor" as you chaps call it. :hehe:

I will be using custom made PCI-E cables. I haven't got them made yet, they will cost about $175. They are made be Adelex out of California, USA. I cannot yet comment on what the temps will be. Though Carbon Fiber acts as a heat sink so they case inadvertently will dissipate heat along with the radiators, which is, Really Awesome!!!! Will report back to the community when I know.

haha! Epic! Thanks

Thanks! I wonder if people will try to "copy" me. You may build your own one day, Dream Big Mod Big!

GeordieGoose likes this.
  7. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Congratz on a unique build man! Very well done!
    Love the picture on your car, that's priceless!

8. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

hadn't checked in on this build for a while, amazingly complex and like all the little details.. crazy good!.. the original pics didnt give a good concept of size, until you strapped int on the truck :rock::thumb:

9. Cleveland216

Thanks! Time to create the album on facebook in the user group!

real estate hog it is. I will be taking more pics in the future and I'll throw some in there of size relation to a normal case. Thanks!

10. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

get some RC jet engines and make a flying computer....

11. Phyonics

Phyonics What's a Dremel?

Absolutely fantastic!!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

A great contender for MOTY

Oh and it brings a whole new meaning to car pc :D

12. GeordieGoose

GeordieGoose What's a Dremel?

On another level mate.

Rep rep rep!

I bet you get some looks when you we're driving around with that bolted to your roof. Get it fastened to the top of a Smart car or a mini for some extra laughs.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Voted for this on that Asus thing for New York, a project like this will wow people for sure. :)

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Massive most epic build :eek:

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

15. Cleveland216

With some modification this airframe design I truly believe could take flight. Than I really get to test to test out radar sites and get arrested by the feds for FAA violations and spend time in jail. eeerrrrr, let's just keep this a dream:) Thanks

Thanks!!!!! MOTY is going to be real tough!! Waynio's Lean n Green is truly inspiring and I'm calling the probable winner. I'll be happy just to make it. If someone else picks up carbon fiber and trys it because of me, than I did my job.

You got a point about the Car PC!! Thanks

Ya, if I do that, the car will actually fly, haha!!!!! Thanks

Thanks Bro!! Really appreciate that!

Thanks! Dream Big Mod Big!!

16. Cleveland216

Tempature Reading.

Hello. I know it has been quite sometime since I have finished the build. My motherboard never worked so I had to RMA it and RMA it about 5 times more before I got one that worked this past weekend.

The rest of the system had already been assembled. Time to report on the temperature readings.

[​IMG]

The motherboard reading from Thermal Radar on the Asus reports mid 20's to 30's for the overall board.

[​IMG]

The real test in trying to keep cool the power hungry 480GTX Fermi's. In Aelro, the standard idle temps were in the 50's. As a game was played it got all the way to 80-90C.

In SSR-X, idling in about 40C and playing is about 48C with the cover of the case on.

The major factor here in design is the twin 360 radiators. Whether or not the carbon fiber is having an affect is possible but I can't say for sure. I do know that carbon fiber has a high thermal conductivity rating. Which makes it better than Aluminium.

Thanks for tuning in! Over and out!

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

lol at pics, like you are a CIA agent recovering a drone.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very nice temps Dave :)

19. Cleveland216

MOTY nominee! I believe modders should break into new ground and work with new materials. Composites are going to be apart of the future of modding, as along, as the PC doesn't die. I can't say when for sure composites will take hold maybe 5 years or 10.

20. Cleveland216

Out of Retirement, Out of the Dark.

Hello Fellow Modders, some of you know me, some of you don't. I'm Dave Biro, aka Cleveland216, from Cleveland, Ohio, USA. It has been over 2 years since the completion of my last project SSR-X. I've been absent from the modding world because I was involved in a wearable technology startup after completing SSR-X. I was finally able to move away from the wearable tech startup recently and I've been wanting to come back to modding.

I've been obsessed with composites since I completed SSR. My knowledge of the composite making process and industry has expanded greatly over the last 2 years. I wasn't completely happy with the quality of my top and bottom covers for SSR, which, leads me on the path to creating new covers and continuing on in this project log.