1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage X58 - 6Gbit/s SSD - Intel or Marvel ports?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jaybles, 8 Aug 2012.

1. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Just received my Samsung 830. Should I use the Marvel 6Gbit or Intel 3Gbit ports on my motherboard?

Thanks

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

6gb one

Apophis54 and Jaybles like this.
  3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

either you`ll get roughly the same speed from them both- intel will give faster small packets and marvell faster large packets - but as the marvell 9128 is internally limited to about 380 mb/s it wouldnt really matter.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Intel if you plan to have the OS one, and work with small files.
    Marvel if you plan to store large files (several hundred MB large).

Intel will give you the lowest latency and access time, as it's closer to everything circuit wise.

The reason why Marvel control can't reach SATA 3 speeds, is because some idiot decided that PCI-E 1x was enough bandwidth, even though the number clearly shows that it's not even close to be true. If it was PCI-E 2x, you are close, and PCI-E 4x you are well above (PCI-E lanes goes in power of 2... so 2x, 4x, 6, 8, 16, 32, and now you are getting longer than your motherboard.. 64 and so on.).

Jaybles likes this.
  5. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Don't use the Marvell one, it performs worse than the intel, and doesn't support trim, etc.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify on my own marvell controller is `0` which means TRIM is active

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Now that hopefully the OP's query is anwsered, i might be cheeky and ask a question off the back of it.

I currently have on my motherboard - 2 x Intel z77 SATA 6Gbs ports and 2 x ASMedia Sata 6Gbs ports.

Currently I have one HDD connected to the Intel port and I have recently purchased 2 128Gb SSD drives.

Now with this in mind, is it best to move the HDD to a ASMedia port and install the SSD's to the Intel ports?

Sorry if this should of been a separate thread :worried: Cheers :thumb:

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it doesn't mean that at all... ...instead, it just means that Windows is setup to send the command.

Well, running the same command either when i was using SSDs on my lsi card &/or now in raid on my SB board also gave/gives "0" as a response, & as neither scenario was/is (yet) trim capable then it's clearly not demonstrating anything of the sort...

More generally though, with the pcie cards & the Marvell controller then i'm 99.999% sure that there's no trim - but i don't believe it's been 100% established either way about the onboard ones...

...however, as the 830 has decent GC then it's not a major issue tbh.

Well, i've been in non-trim for my proper machine (& the one that it replaced) for over 2 years... ...decent GC & giving idle time, maintaining free space & adding a bit of OP more than compensates.

As in the other current thread though, personally would favour a 3Gb/s intel/amd over a marvell controller d.t. the improvements in small i/os which are going to be more beneficial for most os/apps/etc uses...

...but it's choice.

Do you not have any 3Gb/s intel ports???

if so, just put the HDD on one of them & the 2 SSDs on the 6Gb/s ones - there's no gain at all for a HDD on 6Gb/s... ...& the ASMedia ones will be slower 'if' you're doing small r/ws (though fine for large files)...

if you don't then, yes, put the SSDs on the intel controller & the HDD on the ASMedia.

Jaybles and hoochy like this.
  9. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

PocketDemon, right you are! I of course do have 2 x Intel 3Gbs ports also :wallbash: Thats the anwser sorted then, HDD stays/moves to the 3Gbs Intel port and the SSD's go to the 6Gbs Intel ports

Thanks very much! :thumb: +rep

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

of - had a brain fart moment - a 0 respone means its `capable` of sending TRIm , that doesnt mean teh controller can do anything about it! and i do of course concur - it was something *else* nagging me abou tht e marvell 9128 - not only is it limited by being internally 1x pcie , it clicked - it also doesn`t pass long TRIM commands.....

so tempted to actually swap my motherboard for something better :(

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Intel controller supports TRIM. And you should not worry about anything, because you are not limited by SATA-2, unless you start duplicated, or working with, or moving form SSD to SSD very large movie files or something equally big.

Small files (the majority of stuff you have on your system), don't even come close to SATA-2 max speed. I felt the same way as you when I knew that the Marvel controller was crap, but in reality doing this upgrade is a waist of money.

12. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Thanks everyone. Went for the Intel 3Gbit ports.

13. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I had exactly those thoughts Unicorn and GoodBytes, but the cost of upgrading just doesn't make sense!