1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Codename C (update 26 August 2012) - Is that a Pi?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kylevdm, 30 May 2012.

1. Herodj95

Herodj95 What's a Dremel?

BMW.... subb'd! :D

Well done! :thumb:

2. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Cheers Herodj95, it is an awesome car :)

3. Kylevdm

I am going to be leaving to go to London tomorrow morning for a week or so, with that in mind last night I went to go and pack up some stuff in the garage. Well you all know what it like to have an idea in the middle of doing something and just go with it...

So while packing up the acrylic I came up with how I would mount the front and back panels onto the main case. So I got stuck in, however the camera went MIA and my phone was flat so for the first 1 or so of work there was no pictures but I found the camera when I was waiting for the font panel to set.

As I want the panels to be flush with the acrylic I lay then on a flat surface stuck the 'c' frame around them then glued in the supports. Triangular supports for the motherboard side of the case and a long strip of 8mm acrylic for the open side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There we go, we have something resembling a case now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am currently trying to work out the best way of attaching the panels to the acrylic without the need for screws/ bolts but will get back to you all on that I am thinking epoxy but will need to see how it goes.

That is me for another 2 weeks or so until I get back from the UK unless I get really creative tonight...

Last edited: 27 Feb 2016
  4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Lookin Good Kyle! The acrylic corner braces were great idea... and I forgot how shiny that Project deadline chassis was! :D

5. Kylevdm

Cheers Bill! Yeah, it was stupidly shiny which made it a royal pain to work with!

6. Kylevdm

So I am now back from the UK, now it is time to get back to the modding!

First of all I am going to have to make apologies for the pictures in the following update, my sister went to Ghana with the camera and my other camera still has a dead battery and no charger... so the following is taken with my iPhone 4 camera, and because I use that for music and am generally bad at taking pictures anyway there is a lack of pictures with some of the work!

[​IMG]

I need to get the front panel sorted, although this rig may not have watercooling in it to start with I want it to have the capability to do so. So there is 15mm spacing on the 2 front fans :)

[​IMG]

I am going to be cutting them with a 4.5" holesaw with a hand drill... make sure it is BiMetal and WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

[​IMG]

Again sorry for the blurry picture the drill kind of destroyed my muscles a bit, I used 2 G-Clamps with the hand of drill in between them to protect everything if it kicked a bit!

[​IMG]

Back plate done and cleaned up! Now ready to prime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backplate almost done...

[​IMG]

Backplate ready for primer, front plate primed!

7. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

Nice car.

8. mnpctech

Lookin good Kyle! It's great to see you getting some Moddin time in :thumb:

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You are making good progress for someone hopping countries. -Sounds like a family trait. Does your house have some Marvel-esque secret base name? It sounds like it should...

10. Kylevdm

Cheers Bill, it is my wind down everyday after work...

You know it! This case is only going to travel half the distance of MNU (1000km) so it will be finished in half the time?

Unfortunately not, although if you so wish I will give the honour of naming it to you?

11. Kylevdm

It is time for another update! I spent most of this weekend in pain/ in bed after our house's so called deactivated alarm system went off at 4am and we had to strip it down in the middle of the night... This was less then fun given that they are designed not to be taken apart so shock you, generally deafen you and all edges are REALLY sharp...

But I got around to doing somethings, the outside surfaces are all going to be painted aluminium so I found my trusty jigsaw and aluminium angle!

[​IMG]

There you have it, can we call this mod finished now? With everything being cut by hand there are always some inaccuracies so I made sure everything would be too big rather than too small! Shhh no one can see the missing supporting pillar!

[​IMG]

As you can see some cleaning up will be required but thats ok, you can always take material off putting it back is harder...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately with all the weight from the clamps that I had holding it together while I was puzzling the best fit one of the supports snapped! As it broke at the joint I just got some more acrylic weld and stuck it back in place.

[​IMG]

While that dried I moved onto something more aesthetic fan grills from MNPCTech.com, Bill posted an image of them together on facebook so I ran down to the basement where I have a hodgepodge of random billet goodness!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick primer coat and they are ready for me to do something interesting with them...

[​IMG]

Before painting I make sure I open the garage door to ensure good ventilation, but the garage has a counter weight and DAMN it was so close to crushing poor little codename c!

[​IMG]

Finally for all the people who keep saying nice car... Get your fill then take a look at the case? :D

[​IMG]

12. mnpctech

besides your "alarming" experience, looks like you're having fun! Oh, you mentioned you still had those grills :thumb: ......oh, nice ride too!

13. Cheapskate

Methinks your support is not 'supporty' enough. If it breaks now, it will really break when you get some weight in the case.
    Car: meh... The hydrangeas are nice, though. I tried planting some, but they burst into flames.

14. Kylevdm

Wait until you see what I am doing to them today....

The 'supportyness' of the supports has been drastically improved! With some more triangles! They are going to help me in 2 ways, first stop it falling apart and second it is going to give me a place to attach the side panels.

[​IMG]

All the supports in place!

[​IMG]

Now the LED holes... get out the 10mm hole saw thing. It works quite well on acrylic!

[​IMG]

I was considering just leaving it like that but as I do not have the LEDs with me I wanted to make sure I could add more if needs be.

[​IMG]

Break the rotary tool out and now I remember why I hate acrylic so much...

[​IMG]

The finished hole, I do not really mind if it is a bit iffy and stuff it is all going to be hidden!

[​IMG]

I started trailing glue to see what the best method to attach the aluminium to the acrylic.

[​IMG]

I have been working today as well so there will be another update soon!

15. Cheapskate

Well, there's your problem. You used a grinder bit.:p

16. Kylevdm

Thats it cheaps, you are being locked in a cage for a long time... :D Wait until you hear the reason for your absence from the mod zoo ep 2 :D

17. Kylevdm

So I am back again!

The first coat of black paint going on the front panel! I am going for matt black for now but if I do not like it I will gloss it and give it a good polish.

[​IMG]

Next up is to attach the back outer sheet of aluminium. This sheet is going to be permanently attached much like the outer panels of the top and bottom. I have made sure that the top and bottom are all filed and sanded down before hand. My sister was recruited to take some pictures... LOADS of glue on the panel.

[​IMG]

Clamps! I love clamps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To ensure that the middle stuck I shoved a few pant tins on top of it.

[​IMG]

Now that I cut this all by hand, there is a little bit of a gap between the top and side, I was expecting this and so made sure my supplies of 'mud' were stocked. I do love filler! But it does look alright now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A tub of Belgian mud, I have no idea what the instructions are so I just went with it.

[​IMG]

Ready for some sanding... Lots of sanding!

[​IMG]

We have a public holiday here tomorrow so wait for some more updates!

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Killer work, Kyle! She's coming along well. Corner braces were perfect. See, told ya acrylic's fun to work with! :hehe:

I love the nice barren front so far; that's my favorite for a case.

19. mnpctech

Coming along Niice! Clean & Simple... and I like the premixed Belgium tub 'O filler.... Oh, you Can never have 'nuf Clamps! :thumb:

20. Kylevdm

@EEL - Cheers dude, I still hate the stuff :D I am trying to think of a way of hiding the fan screws all together!

@Bill - Indeed, I spend many a lunch break wondering the hardware store trying to convince myself that if I bought another few clamps I would never use them....

So I have another update! After sanding down the filler on the joins I gave the case a quick coat of primer having masked out all the acrylic. I am impressed with the join almost invisible! YAY!

[​IMG]

Lots of this update is bits and pieces I completed yesterday as all the big stuff is not ready to be shown/ I have not got around to editing the pictures. This is a bolt... M4 steel, you know the normal. What makes it special in codename-c is that it holds in a piece of angle that in turn holds in pieces of aluminium that cover the acrylic internally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously this is just a bit of scrap but it gives you idea about what is happening.

[​IMG]

I started working on the "door" I have cut out pieces of acrylic which fit snuggly with the supports on the main chassis, this will stop the door wiggling about and guide it into place when you put it on the case. I am working on attachment devices so there will be no screws on it at all!

[​IMG]

While that was drying I broke out the rotary tool and cut out a slot for the rear exhaust fan to sit.

[​IMG]

Stuck some matt black on the back panel... Going to be painting all the aluminium in matt black :D

[​IMG]

OOOOOoooo RaspberryPi! This wonderful little board is going to be powering the LEDs allowing me to set the RGB leds to whatever I like :D I know, I could have used an arduino or any other microcontroller on the planet, but where is the fun in that?

[​IMG]

Until next time, mod on!