1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The top of my handlebar does not look like that bolt, it looks more like this, though black, rusted and with no way of getting an allen key to fit:

[​IMG]

I put the Shimanos on the bike just 6 months ago and applied copious amounts of acid free grease, so they should come right off.

2. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Ah, I assumed you had a threadless headset. Looks like you have a threaded headset! Sorry, I figured it was a road bike and most of the road bikes I've seen have threadless headsets.

So, assuming I've got it right this time, the stem looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/yZZL5.jpg

Instead of the star nut to provide the friction fit, it has that wedge at the bottom. As you tighten the bolt, the wedge presses against the inside of your steerer tube, creating a friction fit. Now, I imagine if you drilled the top of the bolt you would be able to remove the quill stem then hopefully shake the bolt and wedge out. But if it's rusted in you might have a bit of trouble!

Here's a good video of threaded headset overhaul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsr6eWtND50

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012
  3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hey I'm a big mountain biker but I have been looking into getting a road bike for work commute etc.

Just wondering how much am I likely to have to spend to get a half decent bike, I'm not fussed about the brakes etc but am thinking of a good frame that can be slowly upgraded.

Arch

Edit thinking of a SPECIALIZED ALLEZ COMPACT
    or BOARDMAN RACE

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012
  4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

£500 for a Trek will see you good for a while.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Then I am gonna cross my fingers and pray to some higher deity that it is not rusted in there.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

hey guys someone might point me in the right direction, work do a cycle to work scheme so id get about 45% off a bike.

what would people suggest for around £450-500 (€500-600 for a mountain bike with just front suspension, what about a trek 3900? is a 4300 worth the extra?

wouldnt be doing anything too heavy, dirt roads around the woods where im moving to and tarmac

has to be a selected bike shop so im alittle restricted and its rural ireland so we never have a great selection, list of a few brands local shops do, some mightnt even be MBs

TREK
    Lapierre
    GT
    barracuda
    haro
    merida
    scott
    giant
    ridley

(sorry if some of those dont belong in this list)

Last edited: 8 Aug 2012
  7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

I think a voodoo hoodoo might be exactly what I'm after

8. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Any luck so far?

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have a ton of work for the next week and a half and I will not get around to it before I have bought a new handlebar and stem.. Though I will post results when I have them

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Is that a Halfords buy? I was warned to avoid them at all costs due to poor build and dire customer service. The brother inlaw bought a Carrera Fury at a very good price from Halfords picked it up and went out to the trail center. The bike felt strange and he noticed the forks were on backwards.

I would suggest you go to your local bike shops (LBS) and have a look at whats available. From my recent bike buying experience most of the bikes your looking at will have very similar specifications so it's more down to which bike feels good and fits you the best. The clincher for me was the good vibe I got from one LBS in particular. They went out of their way to be helpful and did a good deal on the bike. The fork is currently away for a warranty repair and they loaned my a £2.5k bike to use while it's away. You won't get that kind of service from Halfords and from my experience having a good relationship with your LBS is worth an awful lot.

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Anyone else tried to get their hands on some Team GB jerseys?

Ebays gone mental :|

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The recent thunder storm left a new obstacle on one of my favorite trails..

[​IMG]

Barely stopped in time... it isn't like I'd expect any new things on the path after riding it for three years. Let alone half a tree :)

13. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Been meaning to post in this thread for a while, as mountain biking (and cycling in general) is my absolute passion. Unfortunatly as I have been quite ill for the last 8 months I have been unable to ride (this is what lead me to getting back into computer related interests - so its not all bad!) so even thinking about riding let alone talking about it really gets me down.

I built a new bike last July and anyone who rides bikes and has a passion knows how hard it will of been for me starying at it for the last 8 months! I rode most weekends in the Dark Peak of the Peak District and my travels saw me go for weekends in Scotalnd and also to navigate off-road over a few days across Wales.

Anyway, im rambling - this is my bike :thumb: based around the transition covert 2 frame

[​IMG]

On my way to recovery now, so fingers crossed ill be back out soon enough :rock:

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'd not been out on my bike for a few months so yesterday I decided to take it for a quick spin around the block. Less than 1 mile in and I'm exhausted and throw up by the side of the road. I thought I was going to pass out. Probably should have eaten somthing better than than just jelly babies that day.

I think I need to spend a bit of time getting fitter on the exercise bike and rollers, and throw up in private before I get back out on the road.

15. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Hi all, it's been a good few years since I was on a bike. But now that I finally have the space to securely store one I'm looking to get back into the saddle.

I'm after a road / commuter bike for the occasional bit of road cycling at the weekends and quite like the idea of getting a single speed (to build some leg muscle).

Anyone able to point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for / at ? Budget is up to £500.

Thanks

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I just got a second hand Specialized Allez Sport after reading some good reviews for £550.

I wouldn't bother getting a single speed if it's your only bike. I have built up my calfs by just increasing my cadence on flat roads and sprinting as fast as I can up hills + you don't have to change gear. ;)

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That's a seriously nice bike and I wish you a speedy recovery! I'm hankering after an a trail/all mountain bike after being out on one. They seem to suit the terrain of the highlands very well.

18. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Thank you very much :thumb: your not kidding about the suiting the highlands! The riding I have done in Scotland was mostly around the Pentlands area along with a few trail centres.

When I first went I was on a hardtail, but I rode Glentress trail centre on a Trek Remedy that I demoed for the day. After that I came straight home, sold my new hardtail frame I was planning on building up and went off to demo more full sussers. I eventually settled on the covert frame and hand picked parts from there.

I cannot wait to get back out! Although my fitness is going to be appalling :wallbash:

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It's been a long time since I posted any pictures of my bike and I can't remember if I've even posted it with all of the new gear I put on the frame. This is my lean mean commuting machine:

[​IMG]

It's a really old frame which I bought a hundred pounds, and then I've been adding new stuff to it.

An FSA Crank
    A Shimano 501 wheelset
    A Shimano Sora gear changer

And other assorted bits and bobs.

Oh and of course the crucial Kryptonite lock.

Next upgrades will be some new pedals and new handlebar + gear/brake levers.

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have another n00b question about cleaning and lubing. The bikes due it fist thorough clean and I have purchased a Muc-off cleaning set, some spray oil and some 3 in 1 type bicycle oil so i'm all good to go. Once clean apart from the chain where should I also be lubricating?