1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Sanity check - SSD not detected

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Highland3r, 13 Aug 2012.

1. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Lo.

Anyone able to offer a sanity check for me please - just want to ensure all avenues are exhausted checks wise etc.

Put together a new machine (key components - Vertex 4 128gb running 1.5 f/w, gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - unsure on bios rev, need to check)

Periodically, the SSD isn't picked up on boot (which means windows doesn't load etc). Bios doesn't register the drive either.
    Seems pretty random on what it takes to get it to pickup again - this morning before work 10 or so reboots didn't work.
    PC worked fine most of yesterday, including a few soft restarts while installing windows etc.

The drive is plugged into the bottom port of the two SATA 3 ports on the board. It originally shared with a Samsung F1 but that's since been moved to a SATA 2 port. (Interestingly, when the two shared the SATA 3 ports, neither seemed to be detected on boot when the SSD went missing - could be relevant!)
    Running CrystalDiskMark the drive averages ~ 350mb read/write on the sequential checks - seemed pretty low for this disk (it's < 50% full) but put this down to it being the OS drive..... The SATA controller is set to AHCI in bios

Stuff on the list to check tonight (in a rough order):
    1 - Switch Power for another string (it's sharing with SATA DVD-Rom at the moment)
    2 - Switch SATA cables
    3 - Switch SATA 3 ports
    4 - Move the SSD over to the SATA 2 controller
    5 - Re-seat the HDD in its caddy
    6 - Check HDD bios revision is the latest
    7 - Try another drive on the SATA 3 controller (Seagate ST1000DM003)
    8 - Remove other HDD's (Samsung F1 and a Hitachi Deskstar) from SATA 2 controller
    9 - Re-flash 1.5 firmware and secure wipe the drive

TIA!

2. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Someone with the answer will be along im sure, but just to check, is the BIOS set to AHCI mode? This seems to be mentioned in many a SSD issue thread. Just a thought.

EDIT: lesson for me to :read: apologies!

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Yup it is (see original post)

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I would go with firmware update, but also could it be an SSD caching issue? (Intel smart response I think its called)

If the bios has such a feature try disabling it..

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Meh, looks like the drive is just toast.
    Not being picked up at all now (on different cables/ports after bios reset etc). OCZ util throws an internal error on the /ssd mount and it errors when secure erasing too :(

Last step test in another pc but otherwise RMA time *sadpanda*

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

To be honest I believe you should just have stayed away from any SSD sold by OCZ. They simply have a lousy track record.

I'd return it and get something from Crucial (M4), Samsung (830) or Intel (330/520).

Sorry for sounding precocious, but I really mean what I wrote above. :)

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

OCZ Vertex 4 seams fine. Manufacture error happens. With the SSD initially working somewhat.. could indicate how it slip through the cracks. People say that OCZ has great RMA service. you can try that, or return/exchange it to the store. My drive (256GB version) works perfectly, if you wonder.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Only the Sandforce OCZ... this is an Indilix driven SSD, so no worries there.

@OP
    Given that you've done all the usual stuff, I'd RMA it.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Shame, my first sandforce OCZ SSD was RMA'd. The firmware would 'freeze' the drive and the storage area would disappear, but the drive would appear.

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

One of the main reasons for going for the Vertex4 over the 3.

RMA requested so will see how it goes. Currently running from a secondary mechanical drive. ZOMG it's slow:jawdrop::jawdrop:

Cheers guys <3

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the vertex 4 uses a marvell controller rebranded (and its newer than the one used in the crucial M4) , so would say its an RMA time :(

12. GoodBytes

It uses the Indilix own controller. OCZ purchased them. This controller is showing to be promising. OP case is just a manufacture error.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Think again. The socalled new Indilinx controller is just a rebadged Marvell controller, but with proprietary firmware.

14. GoodBytes

Reading on it, you are right.. partially. It's a custom modified Marvel controller. It's also a bit faster than what Marvel official has.

Intel also uses Marvel controller, but in their case it's just the firmware that they change. Intel has excellent reliability (probably because they do extensive testing, and only acceptance the very quality build, hence explains the very high prices). Also, Crucial uses Marvel controller.

So I don't get your point.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Not to derail this thread any further, but what is it you don't get? My earlier statement about being wary of OCZ branded SSDs or my statement about Indilinx controller not being an Indilinx controller after all?

The answer to the first is that I personally would not buy an OCZ branded SSD because of the, at this point, very bad rep that OCZ drives have. This may change in the future, but right now with I wouldn't want to take that chance. The answer to the second is: information. I've absolutely nothing against Marvell controllers (it's what powers the Crucial M4, so what's not to like :)) or that OCZ has chosen them for their new drive. I just find it a bit of a stretch calling it an Indilinx controller when it isn't. It's most likely identical to Marvell's new 88SS9187 controller as used in the Plextor M5 Pro, but that hasn't yet been confirmed.

I hope that clears up your question about my point. :)

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The fact that the HDD wasn't detected either when it was also plugged into the SATA3 ports might be pointing towards a bad motherboard SATA controller.
    However, if the SSD also disappears when it's plugged into the SATA2 port then it is almost certainly the SSD.
    (but check with different power and data cables just to be sure)

17. Ahadihunter1

Ahadihunter1 What's a Dremel?

SATA controller's: must be carefully plugged in - I almost broken mine, they are a hefty smudge towards component disasters.

here is another solution: try going to the Boot menu, through F12 or so, see if it's recognized in there. If it does than the component is recognized, but the OS seems to be not recognizing it. This happened to me once.

I remedied it with the use of OS windows server 2008, being installed in it. This recognized my SSD in windows 7 after I did that, I think this happened because the OS though it as an empty space; a "useless eater" perhaps. :)

My samsung SSD wouldn't show up after installing something to it...

silly firmware.

it may be a fault on your cable or SATA controller just like the above phuzz said so - if it was the same SATA connection that was plugged in the to the HDD that is...

but other than that - it may be totally new error on our errors on SSD's ( or a manufacturing error, which is pretty rare.)