1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Router reboot

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Aug 2012.

1. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

This article is 5 years out of date.

Routers provided by ISPs today work fine and they are well tested and supported.

2. Tricky2050

Tricky2050 What's a Dremel?

Currently with Virgin who have provided me with two lovely routers ie bollocks. When we were on national we had a Netgear DGN1000 which had to be rebooted daily, mixed with a 20meg line that rarely ever reached that was not fun.

We now have the Virgin Superhub which is better but I can't seem to get myself and housemate onto Battlefield 3 at the same time without disconnecting myself or him. They also for some unknown bloody reason changed the menu system so that you have to individually go into each settings option and then back without a side bar for navigation! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I got a draytek, 2830n - which I got for trade price at about £140ish, they are about £200 new, but I got it as I wanted to use it as a vpn server and set up vlans etc. and also I have got a lot of them on client sites so getting one at home is usefull for learning, well it was, I know them inside out now.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:hehe:

5. lurker2b

lurker2b What's a Dremel?

Dd-wrt is too big and slow my asus wl-500w ended in trash.
    Had better experience with tomato.

Also one note on router if you have many connections and use the lan/wifi heavily at the same time i would advice you router with radiator on the chip rt-16n has it and is rock solid and stable for over 2 years now of extensive use without problems.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

would you like the thompson one O2 gave me? srsly?

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In my case i tasked with routing a PC, which runs 24/7 anyway. So when you have your server running the whole day, it has unused secondary NIC and you can buy a good n wifi card for 18 euros, why bother with routers ?

8. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Moved in six years ago and SKY supplied the Netgear, no problems so far except for a painfully slow connection for the year 2012....

BT are supposed to have FtoC as I speak, but not sure I need it yet (?)

dunx

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Or indeed anything with the "word" HomeHub in it? Hateful tech :miffed:

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

[blog]The difference has been light and day.[/blog]

Night and Day, natch ;)

I've recently switched the wifi on my Sky DG934G router off and set up a seperate WAP - if only to have N speeds and WPA2. Never had any issues though and I've had the router for a good 5-6 years now.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I got an Asus Draft n router (I forget the model) - much bigger than my previous boxes, with plenty of ventilation holes. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my others did - the others being a couple of netgear units, one D-Link, one Belkin (shudders) and one Linksys (which was surprisingly bloody awful at everything and the hottest of them all).

12. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

I have a Thompson TG585v7 iirc/O2 Wireless Box II, which came as standard with the internet deal. While it's slow and tedious, the connection has never ever dropped in the few years we've had it. That's crazy reliability imo.
    IMO the main pain can come through customising the router settings, with port forwarding especially. Luckily I can telnet into the router which helps me get past the interface. But the reliability is something else for sure.

13. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Because it's good network practice -- a perimeter firewall should be just that, a perimeter firewall, maybe VPN, and nothing else. Less services to be exploited and provides an additional hardened layer of abstraction if someone is trying to penetrate your network.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

But first they would need something exposed to attack right ? Good luck attacking a computer with no publicly available services (yes, stuff like SMB, SSH, DNS, DHCP, whatever else is running there are all bound to the local interface). So, with no services to exploit from the internet side, what are the negatives then again ?

15. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

This is great, finally some noise made from media. Hopefully things will follow through.

We have been stuck with absolute RUBBISH routers for years if not decades. And most tech site only cares about stupid wifi performance and other non essential things. With Companies making beta firmware or not providing support to older models at all.

And DD-WRT or any other 3rd Party firmware are not the solution, if it works it works really well, and if not then tough.

None of the big name companies has made any decent routers. The only i got which was good was actually from Apple. But it is expensive. The other one happens to be TP-Link which is a huge brand in Asia. And their firmware support is great with update coming even after the product is 3 - 4 years old.

But soon, with ARM and Android someone could built a cheap and reliable router.

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Write to your MP now, let's banish the scourge of sub par routers once and for all!

17. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Well theres your problem. I suppose that it was sitting right ontop the hot air vent (or rad) as well?

18. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

i strongly advice you get another decent router, put the "SuperHub" into modem mode, and enjoy being online the way it was meant to be.
    Never had a problem since.

19. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Got an awesome asus n router at the folks, but have had to live with two frankly awful routers from Virgin, firstly a castrated netgear, and now a superhub, which is anything but, it can't hold a wireless signal to save its life, and refuses to print more than half a page of a4 via my wireless printer (cabled it is fine).

20. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I was using a Netgear DG834v3 until a few weeks ago, also for about 6 years. Mine too was faultless for about 5+ years, but recently it got to the point where it started needing to be rebooted everyday. I guess it was literally just wearing out with age, I'd happily buy Netgear again.

I didn't replace it specifically, as I've just managed to upgrade from Virgin ADSL to BT's FTTC about three weeks ago, (2mb to 72mb!!!). I'm only using the gear they sent me, and it's only been three weeks, but so far (not wishing to jinx it) it's been absolutely faultless.

Saying that, I always switch the things off at night anyway - which I'm guessing puts me in a minority here. I just don't see the point in leaving it on if I know I'm not going to be using it for hours and hours...

Tags: Add Tags