1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sleeping Dogs review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The first thing i thought when i saw this was: GTA Hong Kong.

In other words, owing to my childhood of John Woo Movies and a love for Mr. Fat, this was on my to get list. Glad to see it impressed even you Joe.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

How does it run? I'm overly cautious of open world games on PC after the release of GTAIV.

4. Elton

To be fair GTA IV was an atrocious port. Even EFLC was much better. As was JC2.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its a lot better on PC than console with a few interface issue but generally good, nice run through here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI3AeT9pI9w&feature=g-u-u

Picked it up at getgamesgo for £22 (steam code) bit cheaper than steam.

What isn't clear to me is whether it can be played with 360 pad on PC, guess I will find out.

6. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

This game was originally called Streets of Crime 3 changed to Sleeping Dogs.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Looks like every HK John Woo movie I've ever wanted in a game....wait didn't I say that about Stranglehold? Somehow this entirely slipped me by but I'm buying it! Console or PC - which will be better?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can't deny that looks pretty good - something about GTA4 didn't quite grab me like previous games, I'll have to try this!

9. Delarioo

Delarioo What's a Dremel?

The game was originally called True crime : Hong Kong

The game was the 3rd installment into the true crime series until it was cancelled by Activision in 2011. Then taken over by Square Ennix 6 months later

Anyway great game! been watching a walkthrough and hopefully buying soon! Can't wait

10. Elton

True Crime 3?

11. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

I saw this show up on Steam today and was wondering how good it is. I might get it at some point but the poor controls don't inspire me. I had a frustrating time with GTA4 controls too, I always mumble to myself "goddamn console controls" when playing GTA4. It oh so slowly locks onto things to slowly perform an action and then it swings the camera into some place I don't want.

12. Elton

Turn off aim assist. That's the first thing I do in every console port.

13. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I went and bought a 360 controller just for GTA IV (sorry, but GTA must be played with a console controller - I've played every single GTA from the first and the way it has to be.)

IV was kind of crap, honestly - the city was gorgeous, the story was decent, but...I dunno, it didn't grab me. I still play San Andreas (was in the middle of a game when I reinstalled Windows a couple weeks ago - still have the save buried somewhere here.) It felt sluggish, even when benchmarks showed I was getting 40-ish fps. I started a second playthrough a while back, but once I stole a car and had that 'oh, right' moment when the cars control like ****, I bailed. Hoping for better from V.

This looks interesting - sort of wish it wasn't a tired undercover cop story, but I could see picking this up in a Steam sale...maybe Christmas?

14. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

I don't think "dearth of content" means what Joe thinks it means.

15. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Yes, I believe you are correct sir. Can't blame the ubiquitous typo for that one either...

16. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I was about to submit the same comment, almost word-for-word.

17. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

+1 for the dearth thing, also I think:

"and can be used brilliant with a few hours practice"

could be phrased a little better also..

Having seen this game running a lot on a 360 I have to say that it looked really good, badly let down by dodgy camera angles and "gamey" driving (like running smack into a fence on a bike at high speed and not falling off). Also, where are the choppers with mini-guns?

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You do come off now and again and you die because of it, I've been really enjoying it, like the environments, voice acting and general control, it plays really well on the 360 pad (on PC) and the some of the stuff you hear and do is quite funny and gotta love the melee combat, quite violent in places but fits, not OTT, many reviews liken its combat to Batman, I really must play those games too I have bought them after all :D

Engine runs well, cooked my 680, only game I have had to clock it down for, god knows why but it overboosts with this title to speeds I have not seen.

19. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Sleeping Dogs demo available on Steam now for those interested.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Story excellent.

Graphics excellent for the type of game.

Sound excellent.

Fighting this whoops every other games ass in a big way, even batman. :hehe:

Freerunning, it's no assassins creed or mirrors edge but it is good & works fine once you get used to the control, same with the fighting.

Driving this falls short of GTA but has some nice things that make up for it with being able to ram with cars & able to jump hijack vehicles while speeding which was implemented very nicely, high speed drive shooting worked excellent too thanks to the slow motion.

I like the idea of clearing bad patches of a city & then hacking the CCTV to point out dealers, similar to san andreas gang thing but on the right side of the law with more to it. :)

Decent meaningful collect things that give your character a boost of health or money & items or fight moves, nothing useless like shoot flying rats purely for a 100% complete stat lol.

In my honest opinion GTA finally has a very real contender here but it is the first of I hope many, when they perfect any of the flaws in this game especially the camera they will have a big winner on their hands but it's already a winner to me, on the run up to the game I purely thought m'eh it'll be pretty crap but it proven me very wong about the Hong Kong action game. :D

Many whining about the DLC with it all being stuff you unlock in the game anyway except for the red envelopes of money & the retro outfit but they don't have to buy it & just wait for the DLC that does add something good & new to the game, would have been worse if they had mission DLC at release IMO.

Excellent game. :rock:

Tags: Add Tags