1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joco2_uk, 14 Aug 2012.

1. joco2_uk

joco2_uk What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a new monitor for doing photo editing.

I've got two in mind. If anyone has another suggest then please say! My budget is up to £250. Less the better!

Here they are:

28" HANNS-G HZ281HPB Widescreen LCD Monitor:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...onitor+-+Black+?productId=40124&rqcType=r#rqc

Or

24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M Widescreen IPS Monitor:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...descreen+IPS+Monitor+-+Black+?productId=45875

They both are the same resolution and are IPS but the Hanns is bigger.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

John

2. twiztid-kid

twiztid-kid What's a Dremel?

The Dell straight away.
    The colour reproduction is fantastic, if you're using windows you'll get the same real estate but at a higher DPI on the Dell.

It's just if the size is that much more important and even then i'd wait to get a 27" IPS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-2560X1440-S-IPS-Monitor/dp/B008FUB3BM
    Look into that (view forums etc). I'm going to pick one up, uses the same IPS panel as some high end monitors and the res! HNGGG the res!

3. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

For photo editing I guess your primary concern would be colour accuracy, but please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption.

The Dell has superb results in that regard - there is an extremely detailed review here:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

I haven't managed to find calibration results for the HANNS-G at the moment.

4. joco2_uk

I've never heard of that make twiztid-kid but it certainly has a very good resolution and the price isnt bad either!

5. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

I agree with the above, out of the two the Dell is the only choice for image editing.

The Hanns G's image quality is average and had not improved much from its 2009 model HG281DJ.

There are new 27" IPS panels coming out at reduced prices but unknown as when.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Go with the Dell U2412M . Proper size for the resolution, great colors our of the box, you have a bit more than the standard inputs (VGA, DVI and DisplayPort), so you can plug a laptop or something later on, adjustable stand, non-glossy. Perfect choice. Not to mention that you actually have good warranty, including a 0 bright pixel policy. Moreover, if you need to RMA the monitor, Dell pay shipping both direction. And you get to keep your monitor while you wait for the replacement. So basically. You call for RMA< they ship you a refurbished (always for all companies) monitor, once you receive you'll notice a pre-paid shipping label in the box. Just swap the monitors, stick the shipping label over the old one, and call the carrier to come and pick up the monitor. Easy, simply, all paid.

If you want a higher resolution but still on a small budget, check out the Dell U2713, it's coming soon. Basically it's the lite version of the U2711, like the U2412 is the lite version of the U2410. In other words, it's the U2412, but has the aspect ratio, size and resolution of the U2711.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2012
  7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Dell! Easily!

BCoz wot uvers hve sed

8. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

I have the dell and I like it a lot. Great picture and the 16:10 format is a winner. The stand is quality too, very solid.
    Question for others tho- I bought mine from scan, do I still get the dell warranty, do I need to register it or anything?

9. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I would go for the Dell as well. I have a 24" IPS myself and it has to be one of the best purchases I've ever made :)

10. joco2_uk

Cheers for all the responses guys!

Think it will be the Dell then :)

11. GoodBytes

You have the Dell warranty. No registration needed, to my knowledge or at least in Canada. Just have your proof of purchase (as it's not in their system, as you didn't order it from them).

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I bought one brand new from en ebay seller. I didn't think I had the Dell warranty. Any idea if I'd be eligible?

13. GoodBytes

I would call Dell to see how that works.