1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'd be amazed if you got stopped for it, only thing that'd get you would be ANPR as it would flag up as a non-readable plate. Might be worth keeping the legal plates in the boot just in case.

'So sorry officer I must have forgotten to take them off when I was at [insert name] car show'

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Stunning thread, really impressive amount of care and work gone into the build, and the log!

I'd imagine you getting stopped by a copper wanting a nose around the car for how good it looks, but for plates like that?

I see people driving past police with either no plates, barely visible plates, or completely illegible plates.

Vikki looks the part to have 'em.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I believe more modern ANPRs can read the old style plate now.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yep but a vast majority of them will not be new units.

edit: woop fluked a 1337 post :D

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I don't have an exact costing. I've just sat down and had a think and a quick tally up, and so far comes to nearly £14K. But I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff, so its more likely more than that. But it wasn't a one of cost, and it's spread over 6-7 years.

I have her insured for an agreed value of £15K

6. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Will you be going to newark kit car show by any chance goo? It's only up the road from me so definitely going to make it down for a couple of hours at least!

7. GreatOldOne

If anyone is interested, I'll be taking Vikki to the classic / kit car show at Old Warden Park in Bedfordshire on the 12th.... If the weather's good, that is. ;)

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Did you get the 'show plates' made up in the end?

9. GreatOldOne

Yep. I've been tooling around with them on for the past couple of weeks with no probs so far. ;)

10. GreatOldOne

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Love the new plates! Fit very well.

Also de-bugging the EPS will be fun, as long as the steering doesn't get more assistance the faster you go!

12. GreatOldOne

Yes - it will be fun. Especially as all the hardwork has been done already with the lowduino.

All I need do is change the tracks on the PCB layout so I use two digital inputs & two digital PWM outputs instead of the one analog in and 3 out I've got on the fuel circuit, and then it's just code. :)

Hmm thinking about it, I may need another opto coupler in there as I'll more than likely need to isolate the pulsed inputs from the diff and the coil, so I don't blow the arduino's brains out. :D

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds fun GOO, have you found what inputs the Corsa EPSCU needs?

I know this is crapping on your thread a bit, but I thought I'd share one of the most epic build logs I've ever seen, a guy doing a bare-shell rebuild on an E30 M3, the detail is epic, not just in what he does, but how deeply he documents it too (i.e. full guide to doing it yourself really): http://www.e30owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4446

14. GreatOldOne

As far as I'm aware, it's a pulsed input for speed (On the corsa it comes from one of the ABS rings), and a pulsed input for the engine speed.

I plan on using the pulsed signal from the pick up in my diff which already drives the speedo, and the neg side of the coil to get the engine speed. I'm not sure why you need the engine speed as yet, as the assistance should reduce with road speed - which is a product of the wheel size and revolutions.

I know how many pulses I get per rev, and the circumfernace of the wheel, so I can work out speed - and reduce the assistance as speed increases.

15. GreatOldOne

EPIC THREAD IS EPIC. :thumb:

16. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

If you are building the whole EPS from pretty much scratch, it might be worth looking at the system MG used on the F and TF. It did exactly the same thing. Worth a quick poke around anyway.

Cheers
    Enterobsidian

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That doesn't work. I had proper plates in the boot when I got stopped for having these on..

[​IMG]

18. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

So much love for that paint job greatoldone it's gorgeous.

I have seen a few ac cobra kits that I would love to invest in but can't afford. Btw what do you do if you want to park up somewhere for a while, some don't have roofs I'd be worried about people climbing in.?

19. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

But that style was never a legal standard, and thus sticks out like a sort thumb.

The old style plates on the other hand suite Vikki, and thus are less likely to be picked up on. Or at least that's how it works in my head??

20. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Electrified seats.